Register now to get rid of these ads!

Protecting you engine from ethanol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Fuel issues existed in the 20s,30s 40s ect.I've been dealing with bad gas issues since I mowed lawns with a push mower at age 14 I'm 49 now.Early engines were low compression ratio because of piss poor fuel.Adapt,or find a different hobby.I wish that we had only 100% alcohol for fuel in the United States.That would make everyone who wanted to drive,very innovative,we could also build engines with obnoxious compression and/or boost levels,extremes of ignition advance, motoroil would stay cleaner longer.All this shit with gas tanks fuel lines fuel pumps and carbs can and could be overcome,as well as the cold start ect.

2. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I finally put some 02 sensors on my car and hooked up the DVOM. Havent had a chance to go drive around town yet because I have to do "Domestic" stuff the rest of the day, but Idling around the driveway it looks like im in the .6-.7 range on the driver side and the .8-.9 range on the pass side. Not as bad as it could be since thats just and "eyeballed" idle mixture. The real readings and tuning will come when I get a chance to drive around though. Possible a bunch of jet, accelerator pump (Holley) and timing adjustments in store.

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's strange because Briggs and Stratton warns against using it. Stihl warns against using it. Tecumseh warns against using it.

4. Fenders

Fenders

Maybe not:

"As a rule, E10 fuel is compatible with all STIHL chain saws and power tools, as well as VIKING gardening tools with engines by Briggs & Stratton, Kawasaki and Kohler. A carburetor adjustment may be required ...."

http://www.stihl.com/e10-gasohol-ethanolgasoline-fuel-mixture.aspx

I didn't check the other makes... I've been using E10 here in Mass. in my rod that has an old Holley 4160 on it for a year so far with no ill effects.

5. couvy

couvy

Those of us who work in the petroleum industry would like to add 10% gasoline to all corn products!! How would that make your cream style corn go down

Truck64 likes this.
  6. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Kinda lippy for an fng ain't ya?Stick to the issue at hand,nobody is going to add 10% petro chemical shit to corn for consumption.This ethanol is bad shit is really getting old.Find a new horse that ain't dead, to beat.

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Chill out guys, it's not THAT bad. Sheesh.

8. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

That is good info,thank you Sir.

9. a local radio show here in the Seattle area that helps listeners call in with their car problems has on severl occasions mentioned that here in Washington state we will be going from 10 to 15 percent. They claim it will run ok on the newer OBD2 since their computers can adjust for the crappy fuel but the cars with OBD1 or older will suffer. And we will be getting worse mileage and that's the biggest reason our government loves it. We drive the same distance and buy more gas and they get more tax dollars.

The mayor of Seattle drive a bike to work.

10. Yes ,all problems can be overcome and Im sure that some of the real smart guys here on the HAMB are just the ones to do it.But it is a big problem to certain people who cannot overcome the issues... the posers who just want to gas and go and the regular guy who tries to fill his boat and ruins his fuel system.
    Some people want to file a class action law suit against Volvo Penta because they painted the inside of their fuel cells instead of plating them...at $700 each time to replace one it gets costly.So who is to blame?

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm quite interested in the chemistry that makes a water molecule smaller. As I understand chemistry the formula for water is 2 parts Hydrogen atoms and one part Oxygen atom. Are you saying that formulation can be changed? This reminds me of the "Instant Water" product I saw which you only had to add water to. LOL

12. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Working at jiffylube doesn't really qualify as working in the petroleum industry