Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this truck worth the asking price? - '57 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, May 28, 2012.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello -

I've been looking at a few different 57 Chevy 3100 pickups, and found one on Ebay classifieds that I went to see. Net, it's an original V8 truck, shortbed, large back window, chrome bumpers and grill. Body is decent, older repaint although it has some rust in the typical areas, cab corners, underside of doors, lower fenders, some bondo/fiberglass in those places, and the bedwood is gone. Floors and frame are solid, dash is uncut, seat/door panels are rough, all gauges are there. Engine is a 2bbl smallblock with an HEI that seems to run well. Wiring looks pretty much intact. Owner says the engine is original, but it does not have staggered bolt holes on the heads, so I don't think that it is. Someone replaced the original 3 on the tree with a powerglide, and adapted the original tree shifter to work with the tranny. Truck moves, but the tranny leaks, and I HATE automatics. Pedal and most of the linkage is still there. Brakes were locking up in the front, so I would have to go through them. Original under the floor single well master cylinder. Has dual exhaust that's intact with under the truck dumps. Rear end is unknown ratio, but it has a bolt on cover, so it's probably not original.

I'm looking for a mostly original V8 truck with a fairly solid body, with a plan to make a resto-rod out of it, i.e. original suspension, maybe some bucket seats, 4 spd, duals, and, if I'm so motivated, a big block.

Guy said he'll take $8000 for it, down from $8450, but I'm thinking that it's worth more in the $7000 range, based on what I'm seeing on Ebay.

The truck is from Mississippi originally, now located in VT. I'm in CT, but if I get it registered, I can have AAA transport it, with an out of pocket cost of $200 or less.

Chances of finding a solid, unrusted truck in the northeast are basically nil, that's why I'm looking at this truck.

Yes? No? Fair? Unfair? Opinions?

Thanks...

Chris

Attached Files:

2. droptop 63

droptop 63
    from Texas

Depends on the amount of rusted parts, if any shoddy repairs done, and what it would cost to fix these items.

3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8k seems a little steep to me figuring the amount you are going to have to sink into it, add it up. This economy not a lot of people running around with 8k for a toy. Offer 6k cash then meet him in the middle, just my 2 cents.

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Im with you, I think 8k is just a tad too much.
    Id dangle 6-6.5k cash in his face and see how you make out...

5. 5 grand is a little closer to reality in my part of the country.

6. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

I would not give 4k for it! Isn't a 3100 a 3/4 ton and not a 1/2. The 3/4 is not very popular.

7. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

OOPPS....3600 is the 3/4.... I would still look around for a better buy/price for one.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a 1/2 ton in the pics...?

It's a big window, looks solid, fairly complete, and it sounds like it's what you want. Here in Motown as a driver it's worth close to that, but make an offer. "No" doesn't leave bruises, does it? In perfect condition as a mild rod or restored original, auction prices hover near or over $30K, sometimes over $40K. Any questions?:cool:

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I'd offer him half of that and if he says no, then pass on it and check back later and see if he still has it.

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

$5-6K in these parts, tops. Just depends how bad ya want it. It is a jenny V8, and pretty much all there. Patchs & parts are available, your call...

11. Model T1

Model T1

I like this idea. I was thinking around $5000 anyway! After an engine, tranny, paint, interior you could just buy one ready to drive for what you'd put into this one at the higher price.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The value of my shit just doubled. Right on.

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

He probably doesnt know what its worth.... Fact is if someone wants it bad enough, they will over pay. I walk away!!... Leaving my number.

I wouldnt pay that much, but then again I am not in the market for one. If you are, then you should know what they are brigning...

14. jazz1

jazz1

I really like the truck,,,you have seen it and you are liking it but there is a lot of work to do and some coin to make it decent..I am at about $3500 and that's only because it is a running a useable truck with a bit of work.. No doubt you have a list in your head as to how much it will cost to bring it up to your liking

15. The seller is dreaming. I'm thinking $4,000 to $4,500 tops.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Kinda steep, but if you've been looking for a while and haven't found anything else comparable for anywhere near that price, then you might have to buy it. But I think you could do better if you looked around elsewhere. Maybe that isn't an option for you?

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, this is a tough crowd. For $3500-4000 I'd take 3 or 4 of em. I wouldn't pay $8K, but I'd want a quite a bit more than 4 or 5 if it was mine and running/driving. From what you say, it's 2 weekends from being on the road and reliable. Early trucks are hot sellers, and a tri-5 Chevy GMC is near the top of the food chain. But you've already been looking, right?

18. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking, but not forever. I just sold my '59 Apache, so the money is there.

Based on what I've seen, it would be an decent buy at $6500, $7000 maybe if I really wanted it, $7500 the bleeding edge. Keep in mind that I'm in the Northeast...things are generally more expensive here, and older vehicles in solid condition are hard to come by.

That said, I'm not in a hurry. I might shoot the guy a $7000 offer and wait. He said that he paid about $7400 for it with $900 for transport, and he said that he'd keep it for any less than $8,000, but he may feel differently in a few months.

I have nothing against buying a truck that's farther away and transporting it, but without actually seeing it in person, it's a huge risk.

I would seriously consider it if I could find a HAMBer to check it out for me, of course paying him/her for the time.

I'm going to sit tight for now.

Chris

19. godswill

godswill
    from san jose

tell him to send pcs of the inner cab corners. the outers look like they have discoloration on the inside. truck is cool , but the year is not so sought after. Not saying its not worth building, just saying price should reflect. I think 5k is top dollar for it.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know a nice way to tell the seller that just because he paid too much, that doesn't make it more valuable to you.

21. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

tell him to send pcs of the inner cab corners.

Saw them when I looked at the truck. The last 1" is rusted out where it meets the body. The outer on the driver's side has some bondo in it, not a ton, but it's starting to bubble, which tells me that it's going to need at least partial new corners. Same situation with the pass side, but it's not quite as rusted.

Chris

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

even if it was a dependable daily driver in that shape I wouldn't pay 8 G's for it.

23. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

You've gotten lots of good advice already ... read and heed.

But my own opinion is that truck is WAY WAY WAY overpriced. If interested, I can put you in touch with people selling better examples here in Central Texas for about $3500 - $4,000. Pay about $1200 to have it shipped to CT ... and keep $3K in your pocket.

24. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Garry -

PM sent.

Chris

25. Consider price and labor (yours or someone elses), to make the necessary repairs to bring it up to your standards..cab corners, body work, paint, new rubber, brake work, upholstery, tires/wheels, etc., now consider the purchase price..does it still make sense to you?
    What he has into it, is no reflection of what it is worth.
    It's too much money..offer much less (it isn't going anywhere at that price).
    $4500 top dollar, or I would move on.

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Always easy to coach from the stands, and I mean no disrespect to other posters here. :)
    I would take the amount of cash that YOU are willing to part with to get this particular truck.
    If you really like it, and have not seen others available similar to it while looking...buy it. I would not walk away over ~5-800 dollars. I have passed on many then went back and they were GONE...:eek:
    I always say a good deal is when the buyer and seller are both satisfied.
    Good luck and let us know what you do..
    Cheers.......

27. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Update, if anyone cares...

Offered $7 grand for it, and...silence, not even a no, or go fuck yourself.

Oh well...

Chris

28. bbbronc

bbbronc

Around here the prices of 55-57 chevy trucks have plummeted in the last few years, now given that is a pretty nice example it would only fetch about 3500 around here. Keep looking.

good luck

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes they have to sit and ponder an offer until they get tired of only getting lower offers. 7 K is more than I would give but I know that 57 short bed big windows don't grow on trees in your area and by the time you found a similar one in Texas or somewhere else the cost of getting it home would push the price right back up close to the 7k.