Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Many Fat Fendered guys are running IFS and proud of it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTFuzz, May 27, 2012.

1. ClintsToys

ClintsToys

36 Studebaker Dictator with MII.

2. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

41 Chevy with MII.

3. If you look at all the threads on here about MII suspensions it has become pretty traditional for the HAMB faithful, like it or NOT. In fact I bet if you took all the threads about MII's, S-10, and other more modern stuff including power plants off here, not to mention many cars that are borderline at best, you'd have about 100 members and one page of threads. Just the way it is. And until Ryan and the Mods declare it otherwise, it's the way it's going to be!
    I have a dropped axle, split bones and ladder bar rear on the 32 Coupe and the 29 RPU, wouldn't have them any other way, But my old 41 coupe and current 37 coupe both have Mustang II's and since no one can see them, and they ride, drive, and handle so much better, no to mention much better brakes, they are going to stay and I'm Proud of it, and I really don't give a shit what someone on a forum thinks. Both of these cars have racked serious miles, having been cross country and back and they put a smile on my face when I drive em so that's the way they are going to stay

4. JerryLee

JerryLee

You really won't care, the first time you take it down the road, it tracks straight as an arrow, rides really smooth, and you can steer with one finger.

5. My 47 has an independent Mustang ll with p.s.
    My 28 has an independent suspension too.
    I would probably never go back to a straight axle although my 32 roadster has a chromed tube axle and a 4 bar setup.
    The 32 rides stiff but I deal with it. It does handle like a slot car though.

The independent setup is highly addictive once you spin down the road with it.

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I installed a MustangII with Fatman narrowed u&l control arms and Carerra coil overs, on my 37 sedan,......22 years ago. I've never had a regret. After over 75K miles of trouble free cruising, I 'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I have a bit of a problem being able to "see" the suspension on some earlier cars, versus a nice dropped front axle, but that's another story for another day. Stu

Attached Files:

7. supercab78

supercab78

Another 41 Chev with a fatman's crossmember and stock MII stuff for the last 15 years. It beats the hell out of the old knee action stuff that I ran for 20 years. And it dropped the front 10 inches. BUT my newly acquired Model A is going to be straight axle for sure.

8. 48ford

48ford

We have had the car for a long,long time.
    Over that time I had to split the bones to fit in a 200R4 tranny,put on a GM power box,disc brakesnew king pins,reversed eye spring,made brackets for new shocks.
    I guess were used to the ride.
    Last year I got sick and Irene had to do the driving,and she is used to rack&pinion,it was fun times till she got used to it.
    now the front end is not shot,it's just that things change.
    With the money I spent I could of got a mustang or Jag front end,i payed for it,I just never got it.
    But then I got it one piece at a time.

9. My '41/'46 Ford convert has Monte Carlo front and rear (I bought it that way). I'll be driving it soon and see how good it does.Of course,I've never had a stocker to compare to.

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

My 48 has a AMC Pacer front clip since the 80's...still going strong..handles great

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh ya, haters - don't forget to mention how fragile and trouble prone a Mustang II front end is, 'cause then I can talk about the 200,000 miles or so on the Plymouth's! It's a freakin' travisty!!! Sure works nice though..

12. slammed

slammed

Your car, do what what you want to it. Who cares, right? Right.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I break 4 or 5 of them before lunch, every day.:eek:

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

IFS & IRS in my '35 tub and love it. Installing similar in my '46 Olds with air this time around.

15. Drives like it's on wire. Love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Mustang II in my 48.

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

and goofy wheels, rear axles, engines, .......

isn't that what real Hot Rodding is? trying out different parts from different cars, to come up with what works for you?

Following the herd, and doing what everyone else does, is not traditional.

18. Avgas

Avgas

I have come back to this thread a couple of times to try & get my head around it! The first two & a half lines of the intro into the HAMB give guidance to the content & context to this great forum. I like many others want only what the ethos of what the HAMB represents, traditional Hot Rods & Customs, talking independent what Evers gives me the shits big time, this is nearly one if the last bastions that give true representation to the roots & the genisis of our lifestyle & persons talk street rod when they should be living or understanding hot rod. If you don't get it subscribe to the hard core street rod mags, join a street rod club and maybe talk the shit with like minded people who like the late model street rod things that are so commercial with people who don't get it! What's wrong with a well set up traditional front suspension on a well set up traditional car ? Too much for one post?

19. In a normal situation on a dailey basis I would tell you that the shelf is a good place for it. Never the less I have been working on a boat fendered Lincoln that has one installed and it does ride and drive nice. It is a redesigned unit from a lighter car and although some of the parts have been beefed some parts are factory originals and I don't expect the factory pieces to hold up but for the time being it is a very nice setup.

20. 2shedstaylor

2shedstaylor

please excuse my ignorance but i drive a steel 38 willys coupe with a blown 350 sbc and 4 speed muncie and 9 inch ford rear.i have real old mag halibrands all round,but i do have a i.f.s..so do i drive a streetrod or do i drive a hotrod.and would i be better suited to a different forum.?honest inquirery.

21. fms427

fms427

Camaro subframe under the 47. Its been all over the country - wonderful driving car. No airbags - its always that low........

Attached Files:

22. Naturally, I get the whole traditional thing (that's why I enjoy this site), I really appreciate the traditional look/builds.
    Certain things I make an exception..tilt column (I'm 6' 6"), alternator, and MII, in my current '40.
    My previous '40, was completely traditional, and frankly, it rode like a farm implement, I crossed my fingers ever time I went to start it (never seemed to have enough cranking ability), it was uncomfortable, with the steering wheel position, and the brakes were marginal in todays traffic.
    The older I get, the more practicality comes into play, and the less concern what others think.
    The MII does not classify a car as a street rod, merely one component.. which isn't visible on a full fendered car.

23. Well it sounds like you have a combo of old and new parts, like most modern builds do.

I look at it this way. A lot of cars have the proper stance, proper paint, proper, upolstery, and even a proper looking drive train. Step back and take a long hard look at it, does it appear to be a modern build with old wheels or does it give a traditional/timeless vibe when you look at it. Most of us, even the hard core traditional to the bone types will accept a traditionally styled car.

When someone comes on here with a perfectly good old car and starts talking about laying frame and bags etc, I normally try to encourage them to try and build it more traditionally, money better spent on other parts of the build than on bags and new/late model suspension. That doesn't make late model suspension bad, sometimes it is just in your delivery more than your method.

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I have a traditional front end in my panel truck, which I rely on my wife to drive me around in. I constantly agonise over whether or not to go with IFS to make it more comfortable for her to handle such a large vehicle, which I am constantly told would be the case if I did. Like I said I am considering it, but I certainly wouldn't be proud of it and wouldn't talk about it or even mention it on here as I'm sure there is plenty of information out there on other message boards on how to achieve it successfully without having to bring it to a traditional one. Having said that, it also wouldn't put me off putting up pictures of my truck after the job had been done if it was completely undetectable. How the hell would anyone know as long as I didn't blab on about it.
    Paul

25. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Iam just fat and have no fenders

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I forgot to mention, in my personal opinion fms427 car belongs here, whereas Sailing Now's would be better suited somewhere else.
    Both cars do a good job of illustrating the point I was trying to make.
    Paul

27. It is a kind of a don't ask don't tell thing, isn't it. :D

28. There's nothing wrong with what you described, but the truth is, this forum has long accepted MII suspension threads and until someone higher up than you or me decides to ban them, it will continue to be that way. Simple enough. And quite honestly guys have been putting later model independents in both Rods & Customs since the 50's and the Mustang II is just the newer version of something that has always been done. And That is a fact of Rodding

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My last 40 was a '36 dropped beam, rev eye main leaf, t-bird tilt column with saginaw box, and split bones with a front panhard rod . The car was steady as a rock at tripple digits. This one will be nearly the same, except stock axle and disk brakes. I wanted to use '65 chevy Sta. wagon drum brakes like the last one , but I haven't found the parts.

30. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'm with AVGAS. This forum is for the traditional hotrod. However, if you must put those abortions in your car please cover them up with whatever means that you can. Some of them look downright ridiculous....:rolleyes: