Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features **1941-1946 Chevy Truck Picture Thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. turbota400

turbota400

Novadude55, Great looking truck. I have a '46 that is getting torn down to get put on a '92 S-10 chassis. Just curious, how much room do you have between the hood and air cleaner on your set-up? I have a tunnel ram set-up that I want to put on mine and if it won't clear I will have to find a one-piece hood to cut.

2. Not to steal novadude's post but here's mine with a sbc and tunnel ram. This truck has a mustang ll and chassis engineering flat tab style motor mounts.

[​IMG]

3. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Here's my former '46. 350/350, Jag IFS and IRS. Had it fully rewired but I didn't finish it before I sold it about a year and a half ago to buy my '55....which I'm keeping long term.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. slammed49

slammed49

Dude...that truck is sweet!!

5. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Slammed49, that is a cool old truck, nice and straight, hard to find good ones in that kind of shape anymore,,
    ---
    @ Dan, I would have kept the 46, but that's just me.
    ___
    @Swade41, no problem, I like your truck too, btw- just got a weiand tunnel ram manifold in a trade,, but i probably wont use it, cuz it forces you to use a skinny distributor,, what distributor did you use?

6. rucker

rucker

My 1941 Gmc

Attached Files:

fleet-master likes this.
  7. turbota400

turbota400

I have an MSD pro billet distributor. All the best of Electronic Ignition with a points-sized cap. Only downfall is you have to have an ignition box and coil but you can mount those most anywhere out of sight.

8. Hey CONGRATS on getting your truck up and running ! Now on to the question, I used a points style at first then switched to MSD which is the same size. I did the same thing on the tunnel ram for the Henry J as well and currently have a points distributor in the T with it's low profile two four intake.
    The tunnel rams are nice to look at but on a street driver with the hood shut I'd stick with a single four.

9. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I dont think you will have room for a tunnel ram, I have a KMJ intake, basically a victor jr, and a 750 holley, will be getting a low profile air cleaner soon so I wont have any hood clearance issues... I havent measured yet since I dont have the hood on permanent yet, but i have set it on and while it was on i saw that i had a few inches clearance.

10. turbota400

turbota400

Hmmm... I was afraid of that. Might just have to get a fiberglass hood to massage into place and preserve the original. Gonna be a while tho. Lots of work to go.

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

my son is upgrading his cars ignition and so i may inherit a msd, so we'll see...
    i will keep what i have for now most likely, I have many other improvements to make, i cut some corners to get it track ready for Eagle Field and now that i have more time i need to fix a few things to get it road worthy.

12. thanks! She's a hard worker too :)

[​IMG]

13. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Here is mine built on a '75 C30 chassis running 350 turbo 700[​IMG]

14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I want that. Why, I don't know, I'd not use it....:D But it would look great sitting with Rusty.

Attached Files:

• 161.jpg
      161.jpg
      File size:
      127.5 KB
      Views:
  15. bstie

bstie

Lots of great old trucks on here seeing all those great old chevy trucks made me want to share mine and while it's not a chevy its got curves like one and its got a chevy in it.

Attached Files:

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Cool truck, five-oh, are those aluminum running boards on Rusty? :cool:
    tell us more about that.:D

17. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Here is the latest pics with a new air cleaner on top, as you can see,
    it will be close space between the hood and air cleaner,, a tunnel ram is a few
    inches higher still.. so you may have to fab a hood or run without.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Sorry, amigo, just now saw this....

The running boards are three-quarter inch treated plywood, covered by diamond plate aluminum. The previous owner, who built Rusty, didn't have stock running boards, and they'd have had to be modified anyway, due to the shortened bed and the Advance Design rear fenders, so he made these.
    Mounting system looks to be simple- he welded square tubing perpendicular off of the frame and bolted the 'boards up. They are extremely stout. I have a friend that weighed over 400 lbs stand on one without any sign of flexing or giving. I'd actually like to have a set of more stock appearing boards, but probably won't ever get around to replacing them until I have too. I much prefer driving Rusty to working on him. :D
    He'd been down for three months while I piddled around replacing his head. Man, I missed driving that truck.:rolleyes:

19. Indyson18

Indyson18

Bought my truck in November 2011...1941 Chevy1.5 ton G7106 Cargo/Dump/Troop truck. Built in Baltimore MD. Original 6-volt electrical system. Runs great. 235 cu in straight six. Looking for some better tires (7.5 x 20 NDT)...have some 9.0 x 20 to trade. I take WWII vets for a ride in it...brings back many memories for them. Love my truck!

Attached Files:

20. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Fantastic Indyson18 !! Great Job.. Keep up the good works. Nice Truck!

21. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

So I know where there is a nice '46 grain truck sitting in a barn. No rust cab.....Just wondering what is different from the half ton pickup. I would think the cab would be the same but what about the hood, hood sides, grill, etc. I don't need a big truck but a little pickup would be nice,Thanks

22. Cab, hood, grille are all the same. Front fenders have a much larger opening for the larger tires.

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Yes, and, the front fenders hang down 2inches farther in the rear,
    you can measure from the bottom end, up to the notch where it attaches
    to the body, and you will find that the big truck,
    1Ton and larger are 22in, 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks are 20in.
    Also the bolt pattern for the running boards are different as well.
    some holes line up, some dont, not a real big deal.
    If you look at my truck, I have the larger truck fenders mounted.
    The look was cool i thot, it matched the channeling of the body,
    and drilling holes was not a show stopper to me.
    Besides, half ton fenders are harder to find, and more expensive.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

24. Reshaped '38 bumper to keep the draw bar close to the rear of the truck.

This bumper was badly damaged when I got it . After chasing it around the workshop floor with a sledge hammer for a week , and busting a finger in the process , getting it chromed, making new irons etc.

I found a better one at a swap meet !!

Got a spare now , eh.

[​IMG]

25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Necessity strikes again!
    good job!

26. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

What a great and informative thread. Wow, I really would've thought the grill area looks bigger too in the pictures but it must be an illusion or the angle of the pics. So what year beds and rear fenders are the same? all the talk about the Isuzu frames has me wondering about an old 89 Nissan pickup I own and that '46 grain truck......anyone know what the wheel base is on a 1/2 ton '46? Thanks

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

28. Dusty

Your bumper is from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton panel van. The center is recessed to allow additional access to the "cargo" in the rear of the van. My brother has one on his early-47 panel. I want one for my truck, but can't seem to find one.

Great effort on your part!

29. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Nice trucks guys! I have a pair of headlight buckets from a 46' I believe if anybody needs them.

30. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

yes it does young man chase your dreams