Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChuckleHead_Al, May 26, 2012.

1. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Can anyone tell me anything about this tag found on the flathead i just bought and what the numbers mean? The numbers are 60,10,10,10.

Attached Files:

2. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Bore OS is your oversize on your cylinders which is .060 and the other looks like your rod and main bearing sizes .010 Picture is kinda fuzzy looks like it gives you the part numbers in front of the sizes. The 6303 part no# shows can be a Ford or Merc crank when I searched it, having the .010 next the part number is what your crankshaft has been turned to size.
    Whats the part number on the heads??? Possible you may have Merc Flatty.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/boomer/crank.htm

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

maybe the third ten is for oversize cam bearings due to reground cam journals?

4. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

The head has a A stamped on it? Fellas I'm sorry I don't know too much about flatties, this is my first and it's going into a 1927 ford roadster. Also is it really possible it's been bored out .60 over? My friends think it's way too much? Thank you for all yalls input?

5. that tag is realy cool. i'd say if it's a ford factory reconditioned block at 60 over i would'nt worry about it.

6. barry wny

barry wny

pre-49 = 59 cast on bellhousing, cam cover distributor? distributor sticking out top, bolt on bellhousing heads say 8BA for car 8RT for truck engine, 49-53. I had one froze up 59, block was shot but had never been run, cam rods crank bearings all cherry, and it had hollow Johnson adjustables, late style valves. I don't think ford bothered with the 221 factory overhaul, just 24 stud. Look here for all info, you'll need it, and parts
    www.vanpeltsales.com

7. mtflat

mtflat

Never trust the advice of friends! Flatheads aren't like any other engine - at + .060" you're only halfway to max for most 24 stud/bolt engines..

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

What he said ^^^^^

9. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Ok, I was cleaning up the engine a little bit, and came upon this cast on the back of the engine? It looks like C-L with a 8 or 6 and there's a number one just to the right of this cast? Also I added a picture of the "A" on the head. I tried looking for the bolt to see if this was a truck or car engine? Again big thanks to you all that have replied with answers.

Attached Files:

10. barry wny

barry wny

2 things I notice, the fan mounted on the crank, thought it was exclusive to big truck. Also usually the oil filter is on the rear of the heads, in this case front mounted, would let me think a cabover engine. "helmet style distributor is prewar, 38-42 or a millitary engine. That's all bolt-on stuff, spacers & swapping front cover can make distributor variable.
    Truck oilpans had a round plate in the bottom to be able to clean/replace the oil pickup screen, then agian I don't know if that was a postwar deal. Carb should be a Ford 59 series, then agian, refer to vanpelt's site.

11. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

yup. what is cast just in front of the right head on the block? could be 99, or 81 or 069A..
    this would tell you displacemnent. 99 blocks are the ones to get in this year range(39-41 mercury) there really isnt much difference year to year, dont get hung up on it. pull a head and measure the bore, if its around 3.25" you have a large bore motor.Much better piston availability for these.