Register now to get rid of these ads!

'66 Buick traditional 60s style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, May 2, 2012.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Woo hoo!!! Got her all sorted out! Turns out the fluid hadn't all worked it's way into everything. Added more fluid, ran it through the gears, and all that and she's good to go! Now I'm gonna clean up the 4bbl manifold and carb from the old motor and swap it over. Runs pretty good as it is, though. I'll post more pics as the body work progresses.

2. Slight flaw in your theory, and ask your teacher.
    The pump sucked the pan dry, the fluid wast trying to work its way thru to anyplace. the fluid whent everywhere it was supposed to as soon as you started it. There just wast enough fluid.

If By some slight chance your theory of the fluid simply not working its way thru to everything, after a break in procedure - you have severe trans issues.

3. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Sorry, guess I worded that wrong... Yes, it was just low on fluid, drives like a champ now. It has an issue with cutting out when it shifts and when i give it throttle at speed. It just cuts out for a second, then picks back up... Any ideas?

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thats what i call a score. 4door HT man. Super nice bodystyle if you ask me.
    Plan sounds good, but if i may, i used to be all over bellflower tips, or any exhaust mounted on the lower quarter, but now i think that very few cars look really good with them on, and they need to be kinda tucked in rather than all out.
    The way to go is pencil tips on such a big slab sided boat, or no bigger than 2" out the back. classy and could be made to rapp just fine. Your car anyway,this is just a suggestion.
    Lookin fwd to this. Oh yeah, and the wheel came out pretty good imo.

5. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Rocky Famoso has the right idea.. skinny whites, shaved handles and a Larry Watson style pearl,etc.
    Here's a pic of my '60.. so many ways you can go with Buicks!

Attached Files:

6. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Well, not a whole lot of progress lately aside from cleaning and getting rid of mold. This week the seats are coming out for a good carpet cleaning. Anybody have any luck using carpet shampoo like you'd use in the house?

After having some photochops done I decided I REALLY like the red line look, so I made my own. I just used a big industrial Sharpie to color in the white walls. After 2-3 coats, letting it soak in for a day or so in between, they turned out pretty slick.

[​IMG]

For exhaust I've been thinking on doing side exits in front of the rear tires, mostly for ease of fabricating. I don't have much experience with exhaust, so making the bends over the axle are kinda daunting.... The muffler shop down the road from our shop offered to let me dig through their scrap pile though, so I'm sure I'll find enough to do at least the side exits. I also found a pair of dump tubes with caps that might be kool to throw in the mix, maybe behind the front tires....

7. Swifster

Swifster

8. codeblu

codeblu

Looks good. I've got an OT 69 Electra 225 Limited Custom, it had been stored in a garage since 1984 by the original owners son-in-law. 4 dr hardtop, full set of Buick road wheels, going to buff it out, shave the handles and lower it...done.

9. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I like the car. 1966 Buick LeSabre 4 door. The only new car my Dad ever owned. Lost him when I was 16. Hard to believe its been 40 years. Take care of it they were great cars and thanks for bringing back some good memories.

48 Poncho

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Nice car, I dig it, I have a 66 Riviera

11. blind_rodder

blind_rodder

Being a buick guy myself im liking your car so far! Gonto the guys go easy on the kid that slight skip might be off time a bit? Keep an eye on the tranny fluid level!

12. Squablow

Squablow

I like the redlines, the car looks good. You did a good job putting this car together with minimal money. Don't go crazy on it, just get it 100% roadworthy and take care of it just the way it is. And keep us posted on how well the redlines hold up.

13. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words!

blind rodder- yeah, the miss turned out to be bad timing. I'm thinking maybe the mark on the balencer is off?? According to the mark it's at 16btc, but no pings and it don't have a miss anymore... Seems excessive, but I don't really know... Seems to run perfect now, anyways!

swiftster- why poor car? It was rotting away on the side of the street, about to get towed by the county, now it has a brand new engine and gets driven every day... What's the problem? :rolleyes:

14. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Also, in response to tranny fluid level... I'm thinking maybe the output shaft seal is bad? I haven't noticed any drips on the ground so far, but there is some fluid around the end of the tail shaft. Not dripping, just enough that it's wet. When I got the car there was a couple empty ATF bottles in the trunk, so I'm assuming it was a problem when the car was running before. I have the ST400, but as I understand there is an early version and a late version... Would 66 be considered the late style, since the bell housing looks to be BOP pattern?

15. fergus

fergus
    from Nor Cal

Bellflower style huh? I grew up next door in Norwalk. Never heard of it til now. They were always just "lowriders" to us. That's kinda cool though...learned something new today. Anyways, nice ride. Keep it up.

16. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Nice car, the stance looks good just like it is.

Have fun with it.

17. blind_rodder

blind_rodder

Was there any fluid on the rear end housing? Just for s&g's I would change that tailshaft seal when you can make sure the great people at the parts store give you the right one! !! Would like to add that I've seen cars 180° out timing wise and still run but if it runs good I wouldn't go messing with it too much!

18. slammed

slammed

Yes on the carpet shampoo. Vac and blow out the entire carpet. Follow directions on shampoo. Work in with scrub brush. Damp towel the lifted dirt, vac again. Let it dry thoroughly. I wish I could polish up the old paint for you. It would tide you over 'till the custom touches happen. Take Mother's Mag polish and fiber towels to all your exterior chrome and stainless. The coat with Wizard sealant. Use cleaner wax on your door and trunk jams.

19. You can confirm your balancer mark with a simple "piston stop test" . Common for an old balancer to be telling lies.

20. Man, that's a nice clean Buick. Just remember with most cars, (but especially with Buicks), less is more. If it were mine it'd get a set of road wheels and new tires and then I'd just drive hell out of it.

As for the carpet: Unless it's rotten I'd pull it right out and clean it on the driveway. If you'll go to the store and look for real Lysol in the little brown bottle and mix up a bucket full and scrub the carpet with a broom. Rinse it with the hose and scrub again then rinse it really well and hang it up to dry in the sun, (I use the swing set). If there’s still any mold smell in the carpet after it dries, (doubtful) just repeat the process until it's gone. This will work; I've done it many times and removed some truly horrible odors this way. If you end up shampooing in the car, set up a couple house fans and let them blow on it at least 24 hours. No reason to do all this work just to let the mold come back.

21. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the info on carpet cleaning! I'll probly do it in the car and use my moms vacuum cleaner attachment....

22. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Does anyone know if a regular Chevy wiper switch will work in my car? I cant find a Buick one anyplace, but can find em for Chevelles all day long. The prongs look about the same in the pics, but are they the same in reality?

23. Fory,
    Great score and really clean and cool car. Too bad you aren't closer, I have a MINT set of 30 spoke Star Wires that would look killer on there. Like everyone said, keep it clean and simple. Nice job so far.

24. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Got new exhaust and tires put on the car as a surprise graduation present!! I'm stoked! 2" pipe with glass packs!! The guy at the shop custom made the tips by welding two of the flat rectangle tips together. That way it clears the frame without hanging down too low. Plus it makes kind of a unique sound...

[​IMG]

Tonight I'm dropping the gas tank to clean it out. There's something intermittently blocking the pick up, causing it to cut out now and then. Hopefully a trip to the car wash to hose it our will fix it. Thursday she gets taken on her first long distance road trip. I'm going to Lincoln to visit my cousin. Heard there's a good show in Sac Saturday that I'm gonna try to catch, hopefully I'll see some of yall there. Keep your eye out for this ol beast!

25. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

looks same as my 66 wildcat . what nengine? ray

26. Squablow

Squablow

You're planning to flush your gas tank out at a car wash? I don't think you want to use water to flush out a tank. Do a search, there's some good tips on the subject already posted. Good to see you're still working on it.

27. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

opps shoulda read first

28. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

id put a set of period correct red lines on her . maybe use hern as a daily?

29. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'll do a search on it. I'm always up for trying better ways of doing stuff then my Okie ways!! :D I've always done it at the car wash with the pressure washer, no soap, then flushed it with carb cleaner and then with gas and let it dry over night. I figure water is ok to clean with as long as it dries out good.

Posted from Jalopyjournal.com App for Android

30. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

Great find and nice work! Looking forward to seeing more updates. Subscribed.