Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The Goldenrod" 34 Ford - picture and information request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny C., May 24, 2012.

1. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

I am looking for pictures and information on a 34 Ford Coupe called "The Golden Rod" or "The Goldenrod". There is a picture of it in the 1958 Hot Rod Annual being pulled by a custom Mercury made into a pickup. Says it was from Omaha, NE. Just interested in finding out more information on it and if it is still around somewhere. Thanks.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Found this picture of it. Don't think it is still around though :(

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

IIRC Hot Rod Magazine did a feature on it back in the day, a father-son team with maybe even mom included? No idea now which issue or even if I still have it. If I happen to run across it before some one else does theirs, I'll let you know.

4. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

FWIW I was thinking that car was still around, now I may be wrong, but I would swear it was in a colletors hands in the north east somewhere. I see to remember seeing an artical with a bunch of 33/34's that was in Hemmins or something like that a few years ago....My mind is not very good, serriously, I have had a couple very bad head/brain injories so I may be thinking of another car, but I am pretty keen on my 33/34 stuff so it would be worth looking into I think. Jim

6. Ron67

Ron67

I believe that it was in the yearly show indoors in Omaha. Also remember a goldenrod coupe was often parked at the gas station (Mobil?) at the southeast corner of 30th and Ames. Not sure if it was the same car. Must be some Omaha guys on here that remember it. This would have been 57 or 58......Gotta be some photos around....

7. I swear I have seen that coupe in one of those super 8 movies on you tube, it was at the drags with no hood.

8. olds fan

olds fan

HOT ROD ,Jan 57. Owner Norm Koborg,Omaha,folks owned Mobilgas station. 54 Olds engine,4 Holley carbs,Howard cam and heads milled for 10-1. 39 Cad side shift trans. Olds rear........101 in quarter.

9. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK I might be thinking of that car, like I said my brain isnt the best..LOL Thanks for clearing it up for us! Jim

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

My Dad was going to trade school in Omaha around the time Norm was building the car. Said he used to go by the station everyday and was really impressed with the 34 and the custom hauler.

11. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i have that issue stashed away somewhere.. if i rember right the proud builders were standing in front of it in their 50's service staion attire..

12. I found a couple shots of it and the custom merc pickup that towed it at the Oklahoma City NHRA Nationals in 1956.

Sorry they're kinda small.

Mick

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

i think that car ended up with a 32 grill and was still around in the mid nineties.... owners son was trying to get his dads old hotrod back on the road and lost track alittle but the olds motor made the updates... havent seen or heard anything for years....

14. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Thanks for all the info. Awesome car that I would love to track down to photograph if nothing else.

CFNUTCASE - I found the one in the Northeast as well and then got really confused whether it was the car or not. Didn't look quite like the same car and must not be.

hiboy32 - good to know. Do you know the son's name by chance?

Lurker Mick - thanks for the pics, I haven't seen those shots before.

15. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

16. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Johnny, I'll ask around.. Been trying to find a more recent picture, still coming up empty handed. The last I saw, it was running wide alum wheels and radial tires..

17. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Thanks for checking around. I have been just coming up empty handed for the last month or so. Thanks again.

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Cool is right! Someone should build a clone.

19. Austin Knudsen

Austin Knudsen

Johnny, this car is still located in Omaha, NE. This past year it made it to several car shows.

timwhit likes this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

21. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I did finally get a chance to see the Golden Rod this summer. Here a couple of pics that I took.

Attached Files: