Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting BURNED on the HAMB on an outa state deal !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigvicsd, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

I have purchased many thing off the HAMB and never got burned i guess there a first time for everything (and it hurt)!
    i purchased a car for 12grand that was misrepresented long story short its full of bondo been pretty beat or shall i say ive been beat !

i just wana know has this happened to any one else on HAMB and what would be considered taking it to far in a situation such as this?

i did let the guy know and pointed out that his pics posted here on hamb clearly show things that did not come with the car and also very noticible places that had bondo after he only pointed out one to me(isent him very detailed pics) .......i consider after shipping and cost of the car im out 8 grand ! and pretty pissed !

2. chunk40

chunk40

what an ass monkey.......sorry man......

3. teufelhund

teufelhund

That sucks man, karma will come around and smack them in the face!

4. You know the deal... Caveat emptor.

It sucks you bought something and you're not happy with it, but really, what are you gonna do?

Chalk it up to experience. I had to.

5. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Buying a older vehicle out of state sight unseen is a huge risk. :confused:

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd never pay more than scrap value for a car I have never seen.

there are 2 sides to every story, invite the seller to chime in and give his side.

7. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

this is true allways two sides to every story.... he is more than welcome i left his name out just to see if he would chime in....i would like hear what he has to say.possibly somthing that he has not all ready said .... "i was unaware" his famouse word's .
    Lesson learned and it is what it is ! i know . just wanted to get some feed back .

8. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I got 'burned' on a car I had shipped to CA from the right coast.

Problem was, I didn't go look at it first in person.

Who's to blame for me not looking at the damn thing?!?

Sure glad I 'saved' money on that plane ticket!!! hhahahahaha

That said, it was such a piece, I spent the last cough years rebuilding everything on it, and learned a bunch I never would have otherwise.

Gotta look at the bright side :)

Come think of it, a buddy of mine got burned the same way. He didn't check it out first either, but his was worse than mine, in its own way.

9. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

To many people on here not to find someone local to look at the car in person and take pics to send you. Tell us his name here so none else get fucked by him.

10. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

I've always wondered about all this buying cars off ebay, etc.

It's easy enough to get a raw deal even when you see it in person...

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spot on, one of the great things about the HAMB is you could get a trustworthy person almost anywhere on the planet to check something out for you first!!

Doc.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's bad enough buying a car locally let alone across the country. How many times do you see an ad in your area for a car and it is described one way and when you get there you wonder if it is the same car. :confused: All cars look better in pictures than in person and I can't understand how someone could shell out that kind of money without seeing the car themselves.

I think the buyer has to bear some of the responsibility here too. The seller just possibly saw the car one way and feels he described it honestly. Everyone has different standards, I might look at a car and think it is a creampuff and yet someone else might look at it and think it is a POS.

If you are spending $12 K on a car spend a few bucks and get a plane ticket or at least have an appraiser go see it for you.

Don

13. X 2 what Don says.

14. Went looking at OT cars for my son a few months ago. Perused the local car sites as well as CL. Saw a few ads where the cars looked like a decent deal, go to see these cars and it was another story.

I'm looking for a HAMB-friendly car for myself now... very hesitant to buy something I can't get my eyes and hands on.

Bob

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry about that. I bought 2 cars from the west coast. I'm 1 for 2. Fortunately I won big time on the big ticket item and lost on the cheap one. I would not send any money without talking directly to the seller. I always assume it's a scammer until I prove to my own satisfaction otherwise. Then it's my problem.

16. oldolds

oldolds

Every HAMB friendly car that I went to look at that was listed on Ebay was never worth the price it was bid up to. I have bought a couple a month or two later, after it wasn't picked up.
    My thoughts are that most cars that make it to a national marketplace are not a "deal". If they were a really good deal it wouldn't have to be advertised at all, a friend would own it. Ok deals are bought by friend of friend. Then it is advertised in the local paper, someone from the next town buys it.

17. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Talking to the seller several times about the sale and description is a good way to get a feel for who you are dealing with. If you are still not sure hire an appraiser for a couple of hundred dollars and get a true report on the car or truck if you cant see it for yourself.

I have done appraisals for many cars purchased on E-BAY and aprox. 70% were not happy with what they received. But as we all know once it arrives you OWN it. :confused:

18. dniemi

dniemi

I just recently bought a car off the HAMB and went down to look at it in person, and even then when I got home there was a few things that I wasn't aware of. I chalk it up as a learning experience for next time. The tranny leaks when it warms up and driving at highway speeds and the gas tank leaks a little when totally full. I guess the more you're around them the more you learn to check these things.

19. Listen,I want to express a point-
    And-by quoting this fellows post I am in no way trying to put him down personally-
    But it is the wording of this post that says so much to this subject.....

We as buyers should consider that an old vehicle no matter where it sets is going to be different from a one or even ten year old car in many ways...
    It will have minor things like leaks and squeaks and rattles etc etc ...
    If that is alll we get- then we as buyers who purchase an antique should be darned happy its no more serious than that...
    Lets try and be realistic when buying an old carand not have unrealistic expectations......

20. oj

oj

This just about sums it up and dead on.

21. 416Ford

416Ford

Mark is correct. I went and looked at a car a few years back for a HAMB member in my area. He was on the west coast so I sent him lots of pictures of a Model A truck he was interested in that was actually a sedan that had been modified.

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

I buy quite a few motorcycles. I stick generally to 200 miles. I've come back empty handed more times than naught even after glowing descriptions and great pics so I know I'm not going to buy sight unseen.

I went a couple weeks ago (200 mile round trip) to look at an O/T old bike that I was told that ran good and was in overall good condition with a parts bike. It didn't run. It had the wrong rear wheel. All the chrome was almost flaked off. The entire exhaust was almost rusted off. I didn't even bother to look at the parts bike.

I don't know why people waste the time of others.

I did travel 12 hours (round trip) to buy a bike off a HAMBer last year. Described perfectly. It was exactly as he said and I'm still riding it today.

23. There are always exceptions. I don't have many local car-guy friends, and I'm not part of the small local cruise scene. When I buy or sell a car it is, by necessity, advertised online.

There's 3 sides to every story... the buyer's, the seller's, and the truth.

24. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Sounds like a $650 plane ticket could have saved you $12,000 dollars.

25. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

If you're willing to take a gamble on buying/selling blind, you have to take it on the chin when things go tits up. We've all done it, you fucked up, don't do it again:D

I still like the traditional way of doing things without emails, dodgy pictures etc. I will drive any distance if the cars right, so i can see the car and meet the owner. All part of the adventure and you never know what else you might find.

Hope you sort something out either way

Dan:cool:

26. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Not to rub it in because it has happened to me but if I am buying a vehicle that I can't see in person I would have someone inspect it before the purchase. Costs a couple hundred dollars but saves thousands in the long run.

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I to have been there and done that. Bought a 40 coupe here on the HAMB that turned out to be a total POS. I sucked it up and lost 4K in the resale. Live and learn?????

28. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I'm sorry to here about your situation. I've been burned on a few deals myself, but never on the HAMB. I'm assuming you've contacted the seller to discuss the situation before outing him on a public forum. The problem with something like this is there's three sides to every story.

I guess I'm a little different than some on here. I'd never pay 12 grand for a HAMB friendly car. I like project cars. To me, the build is more fun than actually driving it. I would just start tearing it apart and fix the issues I found wrong with it.

Good luck,

Ed

29. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

thanks to all for your input .... i did not expect a barret jackson car i expected was advertised and what i saw in the pics and most of all what the seller discribed to me .
    i bought it to put in work but did not expect to have to do quarters panels ect takes it to a whole different place .
    i do take the blame for it ... i also know that i would not sell some one somthing that i wasent totaly up front about .
    i choose to let the man chime in if he wishes tell his story ....
    1964 impala ss blue / blue .

10 fold !

30. You think it's tough state to state......try sitting down here in good 'ol NZ and wanting to hit the buy now on a sweet rod on Ebay..... 'Oh shit, it's in Colorado......I know a coupla guys in LA but.....tyrany of distance........you hear a lot of hardluck stories..etc.

I took the punt.....

Long story short......Lynn Refior of Alamosa Col is a standup guy who gave me everything as advertised and then some......If anyone here knows him I would love to contact him as I may be able to afford to come to the states in 2014 and would love to meet him in person.

I feel for the OP cos there's a rat in every crowd, and it sucks when you're the guy that gets reamed......shame he's a HAMBer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.