Register now to get rid of these ads!

Underwater Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, May 23, 2012.

1. I think it's flooded:rolleyes:

2. wanabe28

wanabe28

I can't believe no one has said,
    "Ran when parked"

3. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Was it Jacques Cousteau's ?

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Check the trunk for Jimmy Hoffa.

5. spiders web

spiders web

Notice even the fish didn't want to be photographed in a chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wojojo likes this.
  6. Pappa Wolf

Pappa Wolf
    from Norway

This is probably dumped in the late 60, early 70. There's a cutout for a newer heaterbox, which was a necessary in Austria. (they have insanely cold winters)
    The rack on the roof seems to be a leftover from WW2, It was used for storing wood for the woodgas generator. it's missing a few parts. And that should be an indicator that this car was in use in the end of the war, by the germans, since no civilian was allowed to have a personal vehicle unless you were a doctor or in cahoot with the germans. And because of the fuel shortage in the end of the war.
    When they decided, that they didn't want the car any longer, they dragged it out on the ice, and left it there until spring, and the melting ice would do the rest. (they have done the same in norway for many years!)

Harms Way and volvobrynk like this.
  7. There's a website (sorry can't remember the URL) that is about diving on wrecks and they have a section dedicated to sunken wrecked cars. They even explain the story of how some of them got there, very interesting.

8. Cool thread, reminds me of a few here, like the 1/8th scale rusty 32 Ford Roadster in a fish tank.

A customer is a recreational diver, and showed me his underwater photos, of diving in Reo.

After WW2, a lot of ships were sunk there over a couple of days.
    He has been inside these boats, and I've seen old Chevy or GMC trucks, one deck was full of those big round mines. Rows of em, just sitting there.
    There was one truck that looked in perfect condition, and a small bulldozer.

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

There is a old tale of a small lake / large pond in Howell Mi. Where a old guy use to strip out old cars for parts back in the 40's & 50's,.. Set the remains on the Ice and one by one in the spring his problems went away. I assume (like others have) this is exactly what happened here.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Nice patina !!!

12. I think they said Austria....not Australia.

13. Ran when sunk....