Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need your help valuing parts please! Very important

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by addicted2dunes, May 22, 2012.

1. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

So did my dad I guess..... there's about 4-5 of them.

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sorry for your loss. You are getting good advice here. This many guys can't be wrong. When the sale is over the buyers only have a short time to remove their purchases and you will be amazed at how quick everything is cleaned up and out of there. I had a big auction 8 years ago. We sold car stuff,gas pumps,50's diner stuff,old coke machines,barber poles,beatles collections,antiques and on and on. Even after the auction expenses we where happy with the final total. Some stuff will bring less than you think and other stuff brings more. In the end it's all gone and you will be a happy camper as will the buyers.

3. perrysmith

perrysmith
    from Idaho, USA

I have handled that sort of assortment on my own behalf and others, and I think there is no way to get out from under the fact that what you have is a pain in the ass. I know of no real good ways, if time is an issue, for you to get the value you should for the vast nmber of lesser parts (those that do not bring an ew, ahh, response.) Getting the right price for these means finding the person that needs the part. The trouble with having diverse obscure parts is, though they are scarce and therefore potentially of good value, the buyer that happens to need them is also scarce and scattered to the ends of the earth. There is no getting around the fact that finding that right buyer takes much time; otherwise, the maximum you can expect to get is fire sale, even salvage, prices! Seems to me you should sell a few of the higher dollar items to alleviate your mother's short term worrys, then catalog, estimate, and decide whether you want to take the time (years) to extract the real true value the parts should have, or whether you should sell as a bulk and be done with it. For what its worth, from my experience.

4. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

That's what I was thinking, sell some cars off, like the 37 Zephyr, 48 Fleetline, and some others, then figure everything else out slowly. The parts I listed are here with me in CA and I'm doing a swap meet this weekend so I was trying to figure out the value on what I have here with me.

5. vonzaid

vonzaid

I saw a 36 or 37 lincoln in there. Looks like its a parts car. How much? call George at 805 878 5115. Thanks.

6. Fenders

Fenders

Go back and read post 16, first sentence........

7. big creep

big creep

did i see a zephyr in the barn?

8. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Sorry for your loss.
    A few things to consider:

An auction will get the most money for your mother in the shortest amount of time.

An auction company that specializes in vintage cars will net you more money than a local auctioneer. An auction company that uses proxibid or other online bidding services will help you get the most for your dad's parts.

You need the better cars and parts to attract auction buyers and to create excitement about your auction.

If you sell the better cars or parts the better auction companies won't be interested in working with you.

Selling the cars and/or parts on C/L, swap meets or on various forums will take years unless you price them below scrap value.

Don't be in too big of a hurry. If creditors are hounding your mom she should talk to a lawyer and an auctioneer before selling anything.

If your mom is the executor of your dad's estate she shouldn't have to re-title any cars in her name in order to sell them. The executor has legal authority to sell them. That's another thing to discuss with an estate attorney.

Back to the auctioneer....an auctioneer makes his money on the selling commission (and sometimes buyers commission called a buyers premium). The auctioneer will pass along certain costs to the seller. Things like advertising, setting up/cataloging the auction, etc. Sometimes they pass along those costs with little or no mark up. Still, you may be able to save a few bucks by doing some of the prep work yourself with the help of your dad's friends, relatives, or even HAMBers from the area.....BUT, someone involved with setting things up should be familiar with this type of auction. The more organized and clean the parts are for cataloging the more they'll bring.

The absolute worst thing you can do is sell the good stuff first then try to auction the rest.

9. Sorry for you & your moms loss. Estate sale/auction is the best for you & your family in my opinion.

10. The_Monster

The_Monster

Your dads barn is kick ass!!! I love the two story cat walk with no railing! It even has a bridge! I would love to spend time in that barn, much like your dad did.

Lets see a pic of your dads kick ass '57 chevy!

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

As others have said an auction will be the quickest and most hassle-free way to deal with your dad's stuff.

Sorry for your loss.

12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> If you really enjoy the process of selling and have the time (years), then go for it. It sounds like you are already a swap meet vendor, so that may be the case.

But if the only reason you would do that is for fear of leaving money on the table, then I agree with everyone saying you should consider auctioning the whole lot. If you cherry pick, you could wind up with the equivalent a small, picked-over wrecking yard&#8212;the kind of yard that ends up crushed for scrap value.

Something else to consider: I had a buddy get into a similar situation who ended up resenting the deceased parent who put him there. I&#8217;m NOT saying you would do that, only that I&#8217;ve seen it, and it was unfortunate.

Just the opinion of a FNG, for what it's worth: Sell it yourself it that&#8217;s something you genuinely WANT to do. Reconsider if it&#8217;s purely out of a sense of obligation. Easy for me to say, I guess, it&#8217;s not *my* mother's finances on the line. Either way, I wish the best for both of you.

13. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

I've sold a few cars and think I've made my mom enough money to make it until my dad's insurance money starts kicking in. So I think I'm good for a while.