Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Any info on a guy named Floyd Bobzien?

2. racer5c

racer5c

Indy yesterday for the Vintage Cars, Andy Hurtubise, me, John Capels and A.J. Watson

Attached Files:

3. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Really enjoy your photos.
    What's JC holding?

4. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

You can probably reach his son Jason Shores - Google up Brute Pipes. Jason was an accomplished national dirt go-kart racer and it's his company.

5. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

That's one of them new-fangled crash helmets; I think you can buy them from Floyd Clymer.
    One of these days they'll probably make everybody wear one.:D

Off to the Hoosier Hundred; Bryan Clausen wins his first of two tonight, then comes from 31st Sunday to take the 500!

Could happen...

6. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Here's the Estes on Pit Lane, Community day:Is that the Golden Greek with A.J. in the second shot?

Attached Files:

7. designs that work

designs that work

Looking at the front of the Estes car it has a dead perch on the left side front spring. A on going thread about dead perchs here on the Hamb.

8. racer5c

racer5c

his helmet

9. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

These eyes are gettin old.

10. easter

easter

Nah, I wondered the same thing about the pic. It looked like some kind of inflatable vinyl toy tire or something. I'm not used to seeing the bottom side of a helmet.

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks compadre!

12. gtxrider

gtxrider

Pictures I took at Loudon this year. Would you trail the #1 on an open trailer?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  13. gtxrider

gtxrider

More from Loudon

Attached Files:

14. gtxrider

gtxrider

more vintage from Loudon

Attached Files:

15. Ron67

Ron67

Just saw in the San Luis Obispo paper that Frank Arciero has passed at the age of 86. I am sure many of you on this thread are quite familiar with his racing history....

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

gtxrider,
    Nice photos!
    Thanks for taking those and taking the time to post them for us.
    Will pass them on to some of the participants I know.
    Do you have a public viewing spot for them like photobucket?
    Carl S
    Indio, CA

17. "Pictures I took at Loudon this year. Would you trail the #1 on an open trailer?"
    No other way. That's how it was done then, how it should be done now.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

When you say 'Indy' you certainly have to think of the Unsers: Al, Bobby and little Al. Well, here's the "original" Unsers: Jerry (sr.) Louis and Joe. Check out the front diffs on those rigs, they probably weigh about as much alone as a 2012 Indy car. :)

Attached Files:

19. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

This and several following posts regarding the Chenowth Roadster. Including a photo of it in sprintcar configuration.
    See post 13189 to start:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6137233&highlight=bloom#post6137233
    photo from Rootie Kazoootie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  20. racer5c

racer5c

I got to make a couple laps with the vintage cars at the Indy Mile, Thanks Ken and Josh!

Attached Files:

21. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

GTXRider; Thanks a BUNCH for posting those photos:)
    I have not seen the John Fray Spl., in about 25 years! Brought back great memories of when Dad & I maintained it, and did some detail work on it for "the Judge" back in the day. The Judge was a great guy. He took a couple of hundred "work-in-progress" and fine close-up detail shots, of dozens of our restoration projects, over the years, and always made a second set to give to us...(which I still have..)I have LOT of good color photos of it. Here are a couple, outside of the shop, in Riverhead, back around mid 1980s.
    [​IMG]

22. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I Lol'ed regarding the comment about the #1. Joe Fiore restored and owns the car. He also frequents this board. And I frequently bug him at his place lol.

I really love the Fray car for no other reason than it was built in and campaigned from CT. Not a strong pedigree by any means but I would love to own it one day.

23. sramoa

sramoa

Floyd Bobzien born in CA in 1899.Raced IMCA big car divizion in 20s years and won in Ascot two times in 1927.He died in 1985.Listed Hometown in Iowa in 20s years.

24. easter

easter

Although the cars kind of looked like dirt modifieds, I thought this year's Indy was one of the most competitive I've ever seen. There's been a bunch of years where I couldn't wait for the World (Coke) 600 to start so I could see some action. Not this year. A couple of those restarts looked like 5:00 pm at the local shipyard. I was very impressed with that much close racing vs. the minimal yellows. Good job.

25. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Shoulda seen it in person, Easter; the racing was some of the best I've seen outside of a sprint car or midget race on 1/4 mile bullring. Sato really tried to put a monster slide job on Franchitti. He probably should have waited to set him up in Three, but if he had pulled it off in One I think the crowd woulda torn the place down and carried him on their shoulders all the way to Tokyo. Never heard so much noise from the stands in the last 20 laps, watching Dario, Scott, TK, Ed, Justin and Taku mixing it up.
    Personal opinion; the 500 is back. I know, I know - we need more names we recognize and can pronounce, but, man, that was a race.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^^^ Ifn I had been in Sato's seat, I'd have waited until exiting the 4th turn on last lap and laid on the slingshot pass prior to the yard of bricks! Anyone leading was a grape, easy picking, all day long. REALLY great race. I think they got the new cars nearly perfect. Gary

27. sramoa

sramoa

Somebody does not have a story from this car?

28. gtxrider

gtxrider

Loud is an understatement! I has basically a pair of ZOOMIE headers. Four short pipes on each side of the engine. It seems to have a real bark to its exhaust sound.

29. Hhuhman

Hhuhman
    from Nebraska

He's my dad and I've got tons of Picts. I'd have to dig the out of hiding. If u want one email me at [email protected]

30. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

This just surfaced from a friends basement ! wow I was so taken back. this was my dads racer , he went to Penn to buy it, this as it was when he brought it home,1955, Cushman powered. as I recall he has quit a few trophys in the attic I have to dig them out sometime. The best part is we still have the car !it got streched in the 60s to accomodate a crosley my brother entertained running with the vintage racer scene but Im having a hard time getting with the whole ski on the front thing. any way enjoy . the boys in the pik are L to R --Carl Ruby, Lyle Heilman,Sie Flory, Ed Bremer and Al Pratt ol racers.jpg