Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stretching a Model A Hood....continued

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

OK, I'm done with the hood. Not too bad for a first try. It works for me. Kept the hinge & belt line, which was my target.

To those that encouraged me, I say thanks.
    To those that said " don't even try, it's not possible " I say thanks for the challenge.

Bob

Attached Files:

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

3. lucky23

lucky23
    from So Cal

Looks good, thanks for posting this up! I was thinking about stretching a hood for my coupe!

4. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

But dare I say you opted out on the ' show it on bare metal stage' ?! Don't shut that hood to hard!

My metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

would you do it that way again Bob?

6. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Yes, I would do it the same way. This is a budget build and learning process, total cost to stretch the hood was about $7.29.

As far as posting bare metal photos goes, there never was a need to do so. This is not a brag thread. I thought I was on the HAMB site, not a proctologist's office.

7. How many hours do you have into it? Does your Labor count as nothing? Why wouldn't a bare metal shot be wanted? You should take pride in your craftsmanship or are you embarrassed of the patch work? In that one shitty picture you posted of the "finished" product I can see that the body line is not straight and the hood top looks odd. How much Bondo you got in that thing? I stand by what I said earlier....You would have ended up with a better finished product if you had built one from scratch instead of butchering a nice old hood.

But I suppose in the end YOU are the only one that needs to be happy with it......When your gone and it's someone else's car, they can fix that butchered mess.....

8. Wow.

9. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Hitchhiker,

I do not need nor want your approval.

10. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Thank you for posting how it's not supposed to be done!

For the correct way check out guys like irrational and other professionals that have contributed on this thread.I guarantee bobs cheerleaders on this thread were to unknowingly buy this car and strip it down would slate the workmanship gone into this car.it's good enough in their eyes because it's someones elses car!

My metalwork blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

11. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I don't think I've ever heard you like that! Calm down it's just the internet. You're right though, just sometimes it's best to say nowt.
    Cheers
    Ed

12. I pissed in my own cheerios this morning.

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm not going to drink anymore.man.

14. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Why don't you just post the bare metal pics and get it over with?:confused:
    Maybe others could get tips from them
    Maybe your way is better,but we'll never know if you don't follow up

15. jan bogert

jan bogert

belt line is not straight, but it is your car enjoy it. i personally don't care for the streched look. JMO.

16. cayager

cayager

most people wont even know that you stretched the hood anyway. most people pick out flaws if they know you screwed with it. its like a ding on a car, it stands out if you know its there

17. maybelene

maybelene

x2. All this venom about a guy stretching his hood at home?

18. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Tough crowd!! :eek: I got the pop corn on and gonna watch the shit hit the fan. :rolleyes:

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I can see the point that was being made about not showing the bare metal results of the job.

The only real reason for not doing so is that the results were embarassing to the guy who did the work.

Sure he admitted himself that he was not a talented metalman but just dove right in.

Asking how it was done would have been wiser and he could also have learned how to do it right.

As Chris posted. That's how it is done.

You likely need 2 guys to lift that hood off :D

The craftsmanship is part of why these threads are made in the first place, this one fell rather flat in that regard.

20. bobscogin

bobscogin

I prefer to think that he just posted another way to do it. The "right" or "wrong" way to do something is often subjective opinion. Too many of you guys get caught up in "Show' N Tell". It ain't the means to an end that counts, it's the end. His method worked for him with the resources he had, and he got the job done. That's hot rodding. Those of you who have 'em, go back to your English wheel and planishing hammer and give the guy a break.

Bob

21. Look he's welcome to do as he pleases with his car. I don't care.

WHERE I TAKE OFFENSE is that he was advised by multiple people of a way that is not only easier, but would also end up with a better finished product. No one said it couldn't be done and put back together and look like a hood with some plastic in it. But in his post of the "finished product" He claims it only cost something like 8 bucks.....forgetting that he has most likely many HOURS into the finished product....and all the value of the materials that he just had laying around. Nor is he willing to show any shots that show how much smoothing was done to it after welding. His refusal to post photos of all the work is basically saying to me "you all don't know what you are talking about, I did it and it's a great way to do it, I encourage you to do do the same" I think that is a insult to some of the true craftsman on this site like Irrational and the Metal Surgeon.....I for one would like to know how thick the plastic is over his cuts. That way the inexperienced guys that are looking at this thread in hopes of lengthening THEIR hoods know the true story instead of thinking it's a few slices and welds and instant awesome hood....

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  22. fleet-master

fleet-master

gota disagee..well your half correct Blue One. How Chris did it is only good if you want a lengthened one-piece hood top (but even then it'd be better to read up Kiwi Kev's thread on making a hood top...and then make one
    from scratch)
    Bob wanted to retain the centre hinge as I recall...in which case lengthening the rear works better IMO.

23. fleet-master

fleet-master

I sure do hope other inexperienced guys who may happen upon this thread will heed that theres an easier and better way to achieve all of the OP's objectives.Nuff said.

24. F&J

F&J

Looks fine to me.

What I see in the pic, is a fun looking blue coupe with a flathead.

25. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Here you are Bob a simple format of before and after,thats all some of the guys were looking for.I would of been happy to talk you through how to make a lengthened hood like this.Anyone interested i will post a how to on my blog site in the future www.themetalsurgeon.com

Attached Files:

26. Best way? Shorten the car.
    After reading this entire thread, it appears that Bob really never wanted advice.
    Lots of great advice was given here and I learned a lot. Thanks.
    I think that Bob ended up with what he wanted, and that was a longer hood, not advice.
    Nice job Bob.

Sent from a hand crank phone

27. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I normally don't respond to rants, but much was said in some previous posts. I would like to set the record straight & answer some questions.

1. A lot of time was wasted.
    Yes, it took time, but I do this for entertainment.

2. How much bondo is on that thing?
    About 1/2 cup (also had 82 years worth of dings)

3. Never wanted advise.
    Took some, left some.

4 Refused to post bare metal photos, embarrassed.
    Sorry, I don't have any. Didn't know I had to post step by step to the experts.

5. It will never work.
    It did for me, I'm satisfied.

"And that's all I have to say about that" (Forrest Gump)

28. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

It's all good Bob! I am glad it worked for you, that's all that matters. Thanks for the entertainment.:p

29. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Depending on your end desired result of how much bondo you want to put in this thing ( a cup!?????) i think your insulting our intelligence) there is definitely various degrees of the statement 'it worked'.For me it didn't work because i would have to rented a cement truck to mix the filler.
    I never really understood why you ever posted this thread.People like to read threads and learn stage by stage of how to.Thats why i am on here to read threads in the areas my skill level lacks.There is always more than one way to reach the end desired result,but this also reflects on your standards.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

30. F&J

F&J

Enough with the insults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.