Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My barn find! 1950 Ford sees first daylight since 1968.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, May 18, 2012.

1. Too bad you did'nt walk around to the backside of the garage where that '40 Willys was sitting.....only $150 for that one (NOT!) enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. rld14

rld14

Nice score! Where in Jersey was it?

And do whatever ya want with it... It's your car. I like the idea of selling off the stock interior to a restorer, that's preserving something that you won't use.

I also love your plans for it, and for some people who think it looks solid.. It was on the road in New Jersey for 18 years, I'm sure it's got lots of rot.

Looking forward to the build thread... But if it were me id be getting it roadworthy and driving it this summer, ya got all winter to cut it up :D

3. daddio211

daddio211

Apparently May 18 was April Fools day with all of the "don't cut it up" comments. Really nice find, and I'm glad they haven't seen my '50 Tudor to tell me its too nice to cut up! (54,000 miles, never apart, never wrecked, always garaged) Guess I'll have to prepare for the beating I'll be getting!

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

It was in Pennington, Mercer county. Really beautiful area. The car was just up Rt 31.

Daddio, I got your back if you got mine! ;) I won't say what I paid for it, not that it makes a difference to the folks who want me to keep it original, but I will say I get the feeling I was in competition with scrappers. So, although this car will be chopped and dropped....had I missed the ad things could have been a lot worse for this ol' gal.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Good score, it's a nice one, I hate to say it, too nice to cut up, but I know you better.

6. rld14

rld14

Well had it been in like Bergenfield or Englewood or Tenafly I'd have been pretty pissed off right now :)

If ya got that thing anywhere near scrapper price then man did you do good.

7. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Nice score, Chris......Good for you!

CB

8. daddio211

daddio211

Oh I've got your back brother! I won't litter your thread with my pics, however I will be starting a thread on it soon. Although mine won't be chopped for a few years I'm quick to tell ya' FIRE UP THE SAWZALL!!

9. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Congrats! This story keeps the dream alive. Always curious... what was in the glovebox???

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

The little leather wallet thing with all the keys and duplicates, inside that the last registration/insurance card from 1968. And, if anyone is curious what the Hopewell Township Republican ticket was in 1968, I can tell you that as well.

11. Griznant

Griznant

I think the car is happy for that and is returning the love by trying its best to come back to life for you. If a mild custom is in the works, then I say go for it! Even if it was parked in '68, the thing was used for 18 years by then and I'm sure East Coast winters weren't too kind to the underbody. However, that interior is pretty damned cool as is, and I don't think I could sell it off, but it's not mine, so have fun!

12. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Nice story & car man! Cut that bitch up! Nothin like an awesome custom! Great score!

13. froghawk

froghawk

As much as I get wound up over untouched original cars like this one, I think your plans sound perfect and very "traditional." Go for it! Particularly since the rust you describe sounds pretty extensive and typical for survivor cars from this area of Jersey and Pennsylvania, which often look deceptively better than they actually are. Get 'em running and drive 'em for long and they start to look a lot worse real quickly!

14. Another great save.
    Stories like this is why I love this place.
    Rescued from an ignoble end.

15. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I say it's YOUR car, enjoy it! anything is better than it rotting away in a barn.

16. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Unbelievable find. How cool is that, to bring a car back out after a 50-year slumber?

I love your plans for it, can't wait to see the updates.

17. chunk40

chunk40

wow...........one sexy car

18. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

Amazing find and an amazing story...enjoy it!

19. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Cool find man, the only thing I find here in Jersey is pot holes, traffic and asshole drivers!! Last post was in May, its June... Whats the latest???

20. Jim J

Jim J

Nice!
    At least do the chop *last*. Like pulling a trigger on a gun, you can't un-pull. You can't un-chop.

Good Luck!

21. 94smasher

94smasher

Awesome find...I'd say there's some serious good karma with that car. Keep it! By all means, do what you want with it...it seems like the kind of car you will have forever, so it should definitely be "yours". Hack away!

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Well, I got the motor unlocked, tried kicking it over, battery went dead, three 6v chargers went dead, now got a working charger and battery charged, all the valves but one were stuck. I've been trying to unstick these valves, got 1 to 4 cylinders with compression, but only one is constant. Others when they feel like it. I am resigned to the fact that I'll have to pull the heads. I think it's a seating issue. My free time has been eaten up with redoing the body/interior of my tow vehicle and my daily, trying to get both ready for paint. Gotta knock out these outdoor car projects before it gets too bloody hot out.

23. Congrats on your find Chris. It's awesome that you're able to find your dream car.
    Most folks find a car and make it their dream car, you're off to a good start!
    Looking forward to the cutting starts. All your plans sound great I can see it cruising down the turnpike heading for the next cool show, with you proud driving it!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

24. very nice find...like stepping into a 1960's time warp...love the interior!!

25. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Dude your find is sick!! Enjoy your treasure:D

26. Congrats on your Dream!

27. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool....subscribed.

28. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Hey guys, thanks! I wouldn't say "dream" car, but rather something I have had in my mind for quite some time now. It was either a '49 Merc coupe or a '50 Ford tudor that I wanted to do this to, just happened to find this before a reasonably priced '49 Merc. I'll always be a Merc guy at heart, not a shoebox guy, but I sure love this little bugger.

Well, unfortunately, I think I have hit a fork in the road with this flathead. I yanked one of the heads off, and while turning it over and cleaning up the valves to get them to open/close, noticed one of the valves on cyl 8 isn't even opening. Well, that would lead me to believe either the cam is wiped or the valve is bent like a pretzel. Either way at this point I have to give some serious thought about where to go with this project. I'm committed to pulling this motor/trans one way or another, and I REALLY had my heart set on keeping this thing bone stock, even 6 volt, sticking to just body and interior mods, but I really don't have the time or money to put into rebuilding this flathead. If I sold it off, I would probably break even swapping in a running Chevy. I have at my disposal a 1958 Cadillac 365 motor/trans, but do not know if that even runs or what, so I could be wasting time swapping out a bad motor and in another bad, or bad trans.

This is a huge bummer. :(

29. My dad has a 50's flathead he is getting rid of...complete...I think he is asking 800.

30. jfrolka

jfrolka

I would do whatever it takes to keep it 6volt with that flathead in it.