Register now to get rid of these ads!

Underwater Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, May 23, 2012.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Austria ... not Australia :)

2. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Lets face it guys. Not every car can be restored. Some things are better and cooler just left the way they are.

3. Movinman

Movinman

This needs to be posted in the haunted cars thread!

4. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Pretty picked over. Not as bad looking as it should be.

5. shadams

shadams

That was by far the funniest fn thing I have read in a long time. What made it so funny was the fact that it wasnt written to be funny, it was just so many random wacky things all at once.

Anyway, those are some killer underwater pics, look better than some above water pics... I wonder how deep down it is. I like the theory about it being in a field that was flooded to make a lake...

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I think we can save it!!

7. Kinda remimds me of here in Seattle but not as wet.

8. hahaha

9. Model T1

Model T1

I'm from central Illinois. Okay, don't feel sorry. I moved. Many years ago I was restoring a 1926 T touring. Yes, restoring. I strayed from streetrods awhile.
    Anyway rumors were that in a deep clear gravel pit lake in a tiny town east of where I lived a Ford garage dumped a bunch of perfectly good Model T Fords to get rid of them. Two old guys swore by it! An old guy I worked with bought the farm with the lake and begged me to check it out. This was late 60's. I wasn't a deep sea diver or could hold my breath long so never did check it out. Even though it was a rumor, it is possible.
    Other places we did see one or two old cars in gravel pit lakes and a few large lakes flooded to create the lakes for power plants. I am sure there are many old cars in possibly decent shape under water.

10. docmike

docmike

Here in northern Illinois that car would be cherry. I've seen cars driving down the street with more rust than that.

Doc

11. Zaq

Zaq

Ive came across a few old cars/engines while scuba diving. Dont think I have any pictures though. Weirdest was a complete x-frame, with the wheels engine tranny..everything but the body...all about 7-8 miles off the coast of St.Maarten.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Sometimes underwater Chevy.
    The other direction, west of town maybe 50 miles, was a 56 Chevy convertible with continental kit next to a two lane highway used to hold water back in a gulley. Many years later when I finally remembered again and had time to check there was nothing worth saving. Maybe. Didn't really check that close. Back in the 70's it wasn't worth much.

Remember another gravel pit lake with gravel conveyors and machinery, a Caterpillar tractor and some old trucks. Bare Assed Beach it was called, for some reason!

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Model T1

Model T1

That's no way to talk about my other show car!:D

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I ALWAYS forget where I parked lol

15. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

in theory saving sunk cars should be easier than cars left in fields due to low oxygen levels underwater, rust would not form as quickly as it would on a car that just gets rained on alot, maybe everyone should start diving instead of driving backroads and searching fields..

16. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I'm still waiting for someone to uncover the thousands of Jeep's our guys dumped off the beaches in the Pacific during WWII to lighten the load on the way home. I remember seeing newsreel footage of GI's doing the ghost rider trick and seeing them fall into the ocean. Would make for a heck of an artificial reef.

Great shots of the Chevy! Now we all need a tetanus shot!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Model T1

Model T1

They are recovering WWII airplanes from Lake Michigan that were used for training and rebuilding them at the Aviation museum in Pepsicola, Fl.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Nice! Would love to be on one of those 'shakedown' flights :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

sigh......it 'll buff out.

20. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Yes it was made to be funny lol I take it you dont recall the pedal powered hippo that came out in a thread before

21. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

22. k9racer

k9racer

50 or so years ago in the Destin Fla area the local fishermen would take old car bodys stoves and refrigators dump them in the gulf of mexico to build fishing reefs. So maybe that is the reason.

23. SlickT

SlickT
    from Tn
    1. A-D Truckers
    2. Inline motors

24. dragster dude

dragster dude

thats spongebob's car lol

25. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Reminds me of the Bugatti Brescia 22 they saved out of Lake Maggiore a few years ago. The car was dumped under 175 feet of water in 1936 by a frustrated Swiss official because the owner had abandoned it without paying taxes. Car was sold for 350'000$ in an auction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Perhaps someone trying to establish a fish wreck for a future fishing spot...???

Weird nonetheless!

HC.

27. shadams

shadams

That is the thread I was talking about. Is there one after that with a hippo car?

28. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I've notified the Swedish Navy. They're on their way to help...

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Appears to be nothing wrong with that steering wheel.