Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any one elso on here own a 1960 Mercury??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chrysler, May 24, 2012.

1. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Is there anyone else on the hamb that owns a 1960 Mercury.
    Mine is a Montclair Cruiser. I would like to see pictures of other full size 1960 Mercury cars.
    We have owned it 17 years this year. We louvered the hood, welded the rockers to the fenders, shaved all the emblems, filled all seams, kustom interior, shaved all bumper bolts, removed trunk key and emblem and put a hidden trunk release on it, I put a 78 351W and a C6 tranny. Lowered all the time. (no air bags for me) How she sits is how she drives. Painted Chrysler Monico Red with 98 Chevy truck white.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
    quick85 and Budget36 like this.
  2. Not a 60 but similar....Here is a couple of shots of my 20 y/o sons 61 Meteor 600. I bought it for him when he was 6. It still has a long way to go, if he would get a job we could have it together in a year or so. We've installed a Ride Tech Air Bar rear suspension, the front has 77 T-bird spindles, discs and Shockwaves. He'll run a 302 with an automatic. Right now he wants to flake the roof and leave the rest patina (this is the original paint).
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

3. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

That is a good looking 61. It is amazing what 1 year model differance there is. It was back in the day when the manufacturer would make changes from year to year. Not like today's times where 7 or 8 years with the same body.

4. Tim64

Tim64

I have 1960 mercury with the big block MEL motor. Its all there and runs. Absolute straight with no rust! I'm thinking of selling it??? Also a pic of a nice build out of Vegas

Attached Files:

5. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Is this the same one that has been on L.A criags list? Mine was a 430 car also.

6. Ramblux

Ramblux

Just saw this thread. I have a '60 Monterey that I've been workin on off and on for about a year. It has the 383 in it now, but I'm going to be putting a 390 in it soon.

[​IMG]

7. Nominal

Nominal

I don't own a 1960 (got a 1964 instead) but I took this pic of the OP's ride at the Unfinished Nationals show in Elma WA a couple of weeks ago. Nice Mercury!

[​IMG]

quick85 likes this.
  8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Does the car have those "cruiser" placards behind the rear doors? A friend of mine had one that had them on it.

9. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

what size tires/wheels is he running on that beauty?

10. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Great thread. I have a 60 Monterey 4 door. I love it. Had it for about 1 yr now. Going to make it a Mild custom when its done. Its still got the ORG motor 312 with the staock trans. And all everything in the car works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a video of the car.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W5K2SAgBlq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Iv got more pics of your car 55chrysler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Where did you find the pictures at? I recognize where these pictures were taken. They are from several shows throughout the North West.

13. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

That is a good looking car. Is it on air? Keep pictures coming as you do more to it.

14. Ramblux

Ramblux

Thanks man, I've been eying your car for a while! Yeah, it's on air - I just adapted the RideTech setup for the Galaxies to work on the car.

15. These are great. On TV last week I saw a cherry white convertible. It was in the 1962 film 'Only Two can Play' (with a young Peter Sellers as the star).
    Also saw a real nice wagon in the recent 'Restored Cars' magazine #214. It was at the Toowoomba swap meet.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  16. '60 Merc's were deemed ugly by most in the day, but today, not unlike '61 dodge 2 dr htps, and other ugly ducklings, look killer dropped and lightly modified! Never figured out why Mopar put those fins on ass-backward, but done right the cars look great today. To me the Mercs in the mid sixties were among the ugliest cars Ford ever designed, but today these builders are so good at what they do they can make a '56 Vauxall look good!

17. Yeah they are kind of ugly ducklings, but I really like the ones with the funky rear glass and front windshields. I bet its tough finding those for replacement.

18. Cortney

Cortney

I just got a set of those wheels! Looks cool on that car! Love that year period!

19. I am still looking for my dads grey 60 mercury monteray 312 auto that was stollen from him in 1970 at cummins engine company in knoxville tennesee he sure loved that car

20. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Did you have to modify the spindels or A-Arms? It looks like your tires are sitting straight up. Most cars on air the front tires lean.

21. Ramblux

Ramblux

No, spindles and arms are stock and untouched.

22. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Cool looking cars. There was a black 60 Merc hardtop at the auction at Hot August Nights a couple years ago. I know there is a 60 Monarch around here, they are another different looking car based on the 60 Merc.

I have a 61 Meteor wagon, it's a Ford bodied car as Canadian Meteors all were until 61. The 64 and up Meteors used a Merc body.
    Here's what mine looks like.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unclegal/6026276993/in/set-72157627399107080/

23. elcajon64

elcajon64
    from Dixon, CA

Mines gone nowhere for a few years but 2013 might have enough money and time to make some progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is a service car (Amblewagon) that I've added Colony Park stainless trim to. It's running a 390 and C6, dropped front spindles and dics. I'm needing some pipes and some electrics to be on the road.

24. Mark check out the disks on the wagon hint hint !

25. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I tought Erikson was workin on one. Anybody has a picture?

26. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

That wagon is the chit. I love that thing.

27. I always liked the 60' & 61' Mercs. I've been wondering what a two door hardtop would look like with a Starliner roof? I think it would be killer. Anyone know it it's been done before?

28. Hard Luck Designs

Hard Luck Designs
    from Ohio

29. Jr208

Jr208

My 1960 montclair with 430

Attached Files:

30. birdman1

birdman1

Since the first time I saw a sixty Merc, I thought it was the best styled car ever made. Too bad they didn't put a starliner roof on it