Register now to get rid of these ads!

childern like your Ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scharleyride, May 22, 2012.

1. My nephew keeps telling me to hurry up and get it built so he can go for a ride he is 4

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Kids usually love hotrods, and if they're with their parents I always offer to let them climb behind the wheel if they want to. They're the next generation that will hopefully continue hotrodding, and I see too many guys that are afraid to let kids near their cars because they think they might get a fingerprint on it.

3. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

the kids know best, they can see that there isn't anything worth raving about coming off the assembly lines today!

4. vw tim

vw tim

My 10 year old daughter was mad at me for a week when I sold my '56 210 wagon. The first night it was gone, We walked out of the house and she said "let's take the wagon daddy". I said "I sold it this morning honey" She started to cry and that's when the guilt set in..... Have since built a '61 2 door post Belair,she's a little happier.....but still misses the wagon :mad:

5. Gromit

Gromit

My youngest LOVES the cars i bring home. Got pictures of him in everything from 29 Model A roadster, 50's Austin Taxi to a Bricklin with the gull wing door open. The same with My Cub Scouts.. "What are you driving today Akela?" They quite like the 49 Plym right now.. it's loud and I think they dig the fact that I call it the Black Pearl.

6. Like many of you, I am the first to offer to let the parents take a picture of their kid behind the wheel of my '40's. Heck, at our neighborhood garage sale, I just about think I could have sold tickets to let folks get their pictures taken in my stake bed, including some old geezers!

Most of the little kids dig the coupe, because of the flames and Americans, but it seems to me that the truck gets more attention and "thumbs up" than the "hot rod"!

It also cracks me up when people ask for permission so they can take a picture of my '40s. ;-)

7. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

My grandson, 2 1/2 yrs old, is coming "home" this weekend from 800 miles away. I just HAVE to take him for a ride in either of the old cars. His mom and dad are a engineer and lawyer, respectively, so it's up to me to ruin the boy. :D
    It has always amazed me when little kids, like 3-5 yrs. old actually stop and point at an old car. How do they know that's someting different, you wouldn't think they had enough time under their belts to know an old car from a newer car. Like everyone else I love to have the kids sit in my cars, i alway tell them to honk the horn, that's gets a big grin every time. I usually have to talk the parents into it though. I just tell them, "hey it's just a car"

8. chevyburb

chevyburb

I owned the "BURB" for 15 years, drove all over Cali & Nevada. It's different, most people will glance at it, comment " I didn't know they made Suburbans that old" then walk away. BUT, you get a kid 8-13 years old and they would drool all over that truck. Comments like "look dad, it a hot wheels car", etc. I would open the door, let them sit inside, have their picture taken, turn the steering wheel. The grins were worth every penny I spent on it.

Attached Files:

9. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

I've been taking my kids to car shows since they were babies. My daughter 3 at the time (16 now) asked me what the cars were with the horseys on them. I told her Mustangs. The next time we were at a show and with this new found knowledge, runs up to one and said Dad look at this cool Mustang. The owner looked at me and said...You're raising her right teaching her about cars that young. They couldn't believe someone that young knew what kind of car it was. She only knew it because of the horse but they didn't know that.

Then every time we would see an old car she'd ask me what kind of Mustang is that one? LOL!!

The kids are still interested in cars and my son 13 now wants an old pickup to fix up for his first vehicle.

I do have a stock O/T '68 Mustang coupe and kids and adults of all ages love seeing it go down the road.

10. I love that so many of you are good about being kid friendly when your cars are concerned. Id a son who passed at only 7 that i had hoped hed get into rodding, but ive tons of young cousins 4-10ish and two nephews, 6 and 7. They all love to play in my 39 plym and 39 dodge rpu when they come over. I figure they cant hurt anything and it makes them happy.

Though i still stick around to make sure they dont do anything harmfull to my cars.

We need to get the younger generatons into traditional hot rodding, or what will we have? Another generation who thinks a subaru is a muscle car?

11. Kids like my ride. That's the ONLY way to know if it's cool.

12. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I trip on how these little 3, 2, or even 1 year olds, on how these old cars catch THEIR eye & they notice your car is cool & you would think they dont even know the differance, but they do.

13. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

My kids could care less about old cars, as much as I try to get them interested. My daughter asked me if my truck was from the 80's.

14. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

My daughter can spot a Tri-Five Chevy, 60's Mustangs and Camaros, and 60's Ford pickups from a mile away, and she's only 10!..lol I started her out early just like my Dad did with me, I was at the Pate Swap Meet before I could walk. Also made sure to teach her to ask permission before touching someone else's car...some aren't as forgiving as we are.

Whenever a young one wants to check out my rides, I make them ask permission from their parents first. I am ALWAYS willing to pass my love of old cars onto the next generation. I can't wait til my 3 yr old nephew comes over and checks out the Ford...lol

15. davidh73750

davidh73750

My son wanted to help clean up the 55 after lonestar. When I've picked him up at daycare even the teachers noticed it and its just a patina'd 4door. He notices open fender cars and calls them hot rods. Likes pecks and bass's coupes. He's got good taste already

Attached Files:

16. CustomDave

CustomDave

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and loves helping me out. We are both kind of learning this stuff together. She calls my 65 Fury "Daddy's Vroom Vroom".

Attached Files:

17. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Talking about kookey old ladies....at a car show, these two old ladies, probably in their 80's, were looking in my rumble seat and giggling. I guess they could tell I was wondering what was so funny. One old lady told me that the first time she got 'felt up' was in one of those. Some things you never forget...LOL