Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Look but don't touch"....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

This reminded me of a kid a the cruise-in last summer. The kid was about 10-ish and his dad was petting the cars and being a general dipstick when the boy grabbed dad's hand and sharply told him "Dad! Stop touching the cars, they aren't yours!" I went over, patted the kid on the back and told him how proud I was that he was so courteous and respectful. His dad was rightfully embarrased and did not stay long.

Naked HOT chicks are always welcome, just cuz they're naked doesn't mean they should be! Ever seen a thong being eaten by a 200lb lumpy butt, I have! (shuddering :eek:)

2. squirrel

squirrel

Good luck with that one. If you don't want people stepping on your running boards, don't put them on the car, or never bring your car out in public. It's just natural for most people to step on things that are made to be stepped on.

3. nutajunka

nutajunka

I did have a situation like this once. I stopped in at a gas station that was beside a bar to get a pack of smokes. I come out and there is this drunk guy leaning up against my car with his elbow on top. I said get off my car, he acts like he didn't here me. Then I notice one of his feet is in front of my back tire, so I get in and burn rubber right over the top of his foot. He wasn't to happy after that....:D

4. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

on two seprate occasions i have got into fist fights with dumb ass parents that let there toddler run up to the side if my just shut down harley,face level with my header,plenty of heat to ruin a toddlers face,two times i grabbed the kid and pulled him/her away before getting hurt only to have the Dad in both cases ( approx 3-4 years apart between incidents) get in my face for grabing their kid,and im talking like the kid was only a second away from life ruining damage.I told them both times,"if you want to go a round cause I didnt let your kid melt thier face off,well then here we go i guess" .I'll take or give a lickin to keep a kid from melting their face.It unbelievable how ignorant people are,dont let your kid drink from a garden hose but engourge them to play house with a 1500 degree peice of metal,dumbasses!!!!!!!!!!!

5. cmarcus

cmarcus

Alright, alright - it was just an early morning idea. I see what you are all saying. I guess it would be more for the "Rust Revival" crowds. Guess I know now who not to screw with ... :eek:

..and that is my newb post for the day.

6. An fng using the logo for a dumb ass idea, Yeah, no good can come from this.

7. If I had a buck for every idiot that stepped on the running boards of my '34, I could afford another '34.

I have no problem with another "car guy" that I'm chatting with touching my car.

But if your a stranger and don't ask - HANDS OFF IT!!! It's a respect thing...

8. cmarcus

cmarcus

I guess that was the idea - I guess I figure it would be more of a "fun" idea to put on your car (rat rod, beater cruiser, etc) and figured most "car guys" have the respect. But unfortunately, it sounds like there are too many disrespectful people out there to expect such a high bar. Damn shame, really.

9. In the early '90s, I owned a truck that had an extremely high quality paint job with very elaborate graphics (remember, this was the early '90s......). I cannot begin to count how many times I had to get into somebody's ass at a show because they were running their hands all over the graphics to "see if they were real".

90% of the people at shows are very respectful and understand car ettiquite. The other 10% need to stay home. They think that everything on display is for their disposal, and they treat it like playground equipment.

I really like the booby bounce idea..............

10. exactly !

11. One of the women associated with our club found a drunk woman sitting in her truck to get her picture taken, so she said "if you're going to sit in my damn truck you have to take your shirt off!"... so she did.

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Your sticker idea sucks!

13. JMel

JMel

Its all good. I'm kind of with you in a way...my car is 85 years old, survived many decades sitting on top of a hill on fox island off the Puget Sound, has lots of "character" in scratches, dents, and pits, and is rattle canned with SEM Trim black, and there is already fading and scratches on it. There isn't much that a toddler or idiot adult can do to my car to hurt it outside of intentional vandalizm. However, I do find myself uttering "get the hell off my car" when i see somebody I don't know leaning against it, touching it, or messing with it across the parking lot.

On the other side...if i'm at a car show, store, gas station, wherever, and soembody - especially children - show interest in it and/or want their picture with it, I'll happily open the door and let them climb on in. I'll do this before they even ask. Have made more than one kids (even adults) day by saying "here...hop on in".

I love the eyes wide open look and "really???" reaction. The car is far from perfect, far from where i want it to be, and at the end of the day, considering what a lot of cars go for, it isn't worth a lot of money. You'd think I was letting them sit in my $500,000 Supercar by their reaction sometimes.

I think kids reactions and enjoyment to our cars makes this hobby as fun as it is.

14. cmarcus

cmarcus

JMel, THANK YOU! You nailed EXACTLY what I was trying to say.

It is "reverse psychology", really. Anyways, thank you.

15. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Haha "touchers". Got me in alot of trouble have touchers. I freak out if anyone touches my car, i've always been the same. I'm not into the whole show car thing and have no interest in loads of folk mouching about over my car. Anyhow for me the best cars are always in the car park.
    Even worse is parents of touchers, touchers themselves, it's been passed down generations. They watch their 5 year old smack shit out of your car and think its funny or cute. Message to all Mums and Dads who take rug rats to shows and cruises. If you think its ok to let your kid touch and mess with cars, and it's my car, Dad expect a good friggin slap off me. You wouldn't be the first.

Touchers honestly do my head in:mad:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  16. You British guy's have such a way with words. All translates the same.

17. toml24

toml24

A man brought a 1927 Ford Tall-T to a car show a few years ago and I asked to sit in it. He said OK and I made the big mistake of stepping on the running board to get in. Turns out the running board was fibreglass. My foot could have --but did not--broke through the running board. I had to apologize big time. Lesson learned. NEVER assume a vintage car is in as prestine condition as it looks.

18. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I've taken my daughter to many shows now, she is going on 3, and she knows to keep her hands off. She will get as close as possible to test my patience, but she never touches. She did it twice at our first show and got a good flick on the back of the hand. It hasn't happened since.

My mom thought it would be funny to use my daughters plastic golf set and hit balls at my 65 Stude. My daughter, bless her heart, looked at me and then at grandma, "No Nanny, you be nice!" I expect if my car is ever at a show and my daughter is there, that she will lay the smack down if needed.

19. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

How come that remark is never funny?

20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

..Quote Jmel.
    On the other side...if i'm at a car show, store, gas station, wherever, and soembody - especially children - show interest in it and/or want their picture with it, I'll happily open the door and let them climb on in. I'll do this before they even ask. Have made more than one kids (even adults) day by saying "here...hop on in".

I love the eyes wide open look and "really???" reaction. The car is far from perfect, far from where i want it to be, and at the end of the day, considering what a lot of cars go for, it isn't worth a lot of money. You'd think I was letting them sit in my $500,000 Supercar by their reaction sometimes.

I think kids reactions and enjoyment to our cars makes this hobby as fun as it is.[/QUOTE]

I can verify this as I was checking out his roadster at the Texas Thaw and mumbling to myself, " I wonder fit I'd fit in one of those". JMel pops open the driver door and says "hop in and find out", Too cool ! I'd prefer average wierdos keep thier hands off my car but if a somebody that "knows what up" wants to check it out Im more than happy to pop the hood, let em inside etc...

21. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I agree, touching anyone else's car.. the antenna, a mirror, a hubcap, whatever... is so against the rules.. you just don't do it.. good idea to keep hands in pockets or arms folded when browsing, a matter of courtesy..

22. customcory

customcory

Rarely do we have proof. Heres a bunch of guys leaning on my 51 decades ago at a Winston=Salem Nats South.

557700_441205075905155_100000469994490_1737955_2093789284_n.jpg

23. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Sorry just got a thing about touchers. Worse thing is my dear old Dad is the worlds worse. He's like" Oh that looks nice and shiny" and can't help himself, he has to touch. My usual reply is "Yea thanks Dad , it WAS nice and shiny, now get your dirty paws off":D

Bless him, mad old dodger he is:p

24. jazz1

jazz1

People touch my truck all the time,,most of the time on the sly,,,just a stroke with the finger..They want to know if it feels like velvet or something. Does not bother me at all,,if it did I would have a great big neon NO TOUCH TRUCK sign on the roof.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. jaymann

jaymann

my dad taught me years ago that you never touch another man's car or women...without permission

26. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

I've got scratches all over my car from "tourists" at the local car get-together. Cameras, handbags, keychains, etc...they've all done their damage to what was once a really nice paint job. Oh well.

One night I was chatting with a buddy, my back to my car, and I see him get all wide-eyed. I turn and see some toddler jumping up and down on my painted running boards trying to see into the car. His dad was holding his hand! I walked over and asked if he was insane. Turned out he was just stupid.

27. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Well mine is half primered and the other half is 65 year old paint. It's not high dollar or a show car. People assume if it is at a show next to the shiny ones it's OK to touch mine. I even saw someone pounding his fist against it showing his buddies how metal was "back then".

28. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Some peoples kids and their kids...I tell ya!! I've caught people letting their kids slide down a '32 Ford fender on a rod and when I get done verbally chastizing them they look at me with that "what's worng with you....it's JUST a car"!!!

I've seen a drunk pour beer in a cars interior trying to look at the dash!! (I poured out what was left of his beer and threw the can in the trash) just to be called an A-hole...

What happened to the respect and manners I was taught as a kid to not touch others or their property???

29. Big Nick

Big Nick

I dont even understand why someone would have to touch it, its a car or bike, it doesnt feel any different. I get really bent when I catch people touching my stuff, its just rude and disrespectful in my eyes. I caught a guy sitting on my panhead, he told me he was teaching his girlfriend how to ride, I was also leaning on my 52 at a car show talking to a friend and felt the truck drop only to find a guy had actually jumped up and sat on my front fender, he explained to me that since we spke earlier about the truck and the paint isnt that nice that he thought we were friendly enough that he could just sit up on it for a while. I kept my cool both times and didnt get physical.

I just cant understand it, I have never touched or sat on another persons car or bike, especially someone I didnt know. People have very little respect now a days.

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It has to be how they are raised. I would never even think about touching someone else's property and especially a work of art. I don't even like to get close in case something would scratch it. As a mechanic, I won't lean on anyone's car without some good protection for the paint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.