Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Wow. Crazy story. Well at least now I know others have slid these trucks too.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

If your brakes are locking up, maybe that's something you can look into. Proportioning valve adjustment? ABS? I'm not sure what would fix it, but I would think that preventing lock up would help.

3. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Thanks, Hellfish.
    Yeah, I feel like something like ABS would help to solve the problem.

4. M.D.

M.D.

5. Is this brake problem with just the trucks or vans too? I haven't driven mine much yet. I did just pull the wood floor cover to clean around and under. It was installed when it was a fleet vehicle. Probably been there since new. The floor is mint underneath...I'll have to get some pictures. Also do you guys know where to get a headliner?

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

I've never heard of a headliner in one, especially a fleet van. If Mac's or Dennis Carpenter doesn't have one, I doubt anyone does.

My van has never locked up or spun, but I've never had to really slam on the brakes either. I drove it for a few years with the 6 and stock drums, and then with the v8 and disks.

7. what was the dome lamp attached too? It just covered the front seats. The remains look like some kind of fiber board with grey on one side that matches the sunvisors.

8. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

ive lost brakes in mine once while coming up to a 4 way stop( but that was when i first go it and hadnt even done a tune up). i had to slam on the brakes on the freeway once at about 70 mph because some ladys chiuahua was runnin across the freeway. no problems locking up tho

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Oh that! Yeah, my van had some sort of fiber board "headliner. It was just above the seats, nowhere else. I could get you some measurements or make a pattern for you.

Ha! I had the same problem, except mine went out and I had the choice of plowing into some drug dealers/gangbangers cars or blowing a stop sign and going through a busy intersection. I chose the intersection, and won. I drove it around teh block, parked it, and replaced some brake lines!

10. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Any more pictures. What a killer ride for your business;)

11. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

HEADERS?!?!

Anyone with a V-8 and manual trans got a suggestion on off-the-shelf headers that fit? I just found the passenger side (cast iron) is broken in half. Seems it would be easier to just install a set of headers. I already have the cherry bombs in the shelf.......

Mine's a pickup, but I guess the van would have the same linkages etc.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

13. That would be wicked awesome if you are willing.

14. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

If this is directed to me.....it's a 260.

I have the option to replace the passeneger side but would rather do headers.

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yes, you. :) I don't know about a 260, but I bolted up newer Mustang headers to the 302 in my van. Then again, I also widened the dog box for clearance and air flow. I believe there are a certain year Mustang headers that will fit without modifications, but I can't remember what year. Sean O'Dell at Blue Oval Engineering in CA was telling me about it. He has the jig for modifying crossmembers for v8 fitment.

Hitchhiker - I'll trace out a pattern for you. No problem... but it will be awhile. I'm frantically trying to save my van AND get it ready for the drags in 2 weeks! I plan to eventually cover mine to look like a headliner. I might use it as a template to make several headliner sections all the way back. Or not. I haven't decided. My van is in limbo between hauler, custom, and drag racer. I want it all. :D

16. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Thanks! I thought I saw somewhere that those wouldn't work.....but maybe I'm confused about it. Maybe it was only if it had an automatic. I was hoping they would.

Probably 87-93.....maybe up to 95. I'll check apps. I was going to go to Jegs and just buy several SBF headers and test 'em all. I still may do that, but now I won't eliminate the Mustang shorties.

My dogbox is already modified , so it shouldn't be an issue.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Here you can see how much I had to cut out for clearance to fit those headers. 1989 5.0L/302, 1965 Econoline. I had to get pretty creative with the exhaust though. These headers want to dump straight into the clutch fork and linkage. I still haven't figured out how to route the parking brake cable around the pipe

[​IMG]

18. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

They sure do, funnest things I've ever driven! If you don't know what I'm talking about folks, go try one. :D

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i don't mean to sound like a big shot but, i may have just learned how to post pics! this ones handy so here go's....

Attached Files:

21. SotallyTober

SotallyTober
    from In a dream

van-tiltshift.jpg Yeah, I got one.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  22. mothradeath

mothradeath

Oh Damn! Both of those are sick! Check out vintage-vans.com if you haven't already been sucked in.

23. RobSWD

RobSWD

that's sweet! I was thinking of the same wheel combo. What size rims and tires?

24. Church

Church
    from South Bay

25. YocumBros.

YocumBros.
    from Raleigh NC

26. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Why is the lens so restricted?

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

???

28. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

When I view that, it looks like he's filming though a slot in a box. It's about 1/3 the size of what it should be. I don't know why.
    Is it just me???

29. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

hello, thanks for the complement.that pic. is from 2005. the rim sizes are,frt. 15x6 rear 15x12 with a custom offset. tires are frt. 205-50-15, rear 295-50-15's they are dunlop's. the rear end has been narrowed. there are two more pics that are a little better of my van on the "60's van" thread here.

30. what are you guys using for replacment radiators? Mine is shot and "IF" my tanks are still good the recore will be $500......I'd like to find something cheaper.