Register now to get rid of these ads!

WTF - Shoebox fuel filler pipe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grf-x, May 23, 2012.

1. grf-x

grf-x

Okay... some one has to have run into this.

I have attached some photos of my 51 Shoebox's fuel filler pipe. Now, I have yet to find a repop of this part. So if anyone knows a place... Please let me know. It would greatly appreciate it. Or how/if one can be made. Otherwise how do I fix this. Clean at the fill end, but rusted on the inside at the other end. Looks like it goes up maybe a third the length of the pipe.

Also, can some one tell me what that tube on the inside is for? It is open on the bottom side and seems to be sealed (flattened) on the filler end.

Filler end >

[​IMG]

the other end >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. There was a post on the hamb about soaking parts in a solution of molasses to remove rust.

3. Willy301

Willy301

Blast it out with media, and rinse it VERY thoroughly!

4. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

The tube, I think it's an overflow stop whistle.

As you fill the tank the air pressure is forced through the small end and it "whistles". Letting you know it's getting full so you don't overflow your tank.

5. 50shoe

50shoe

Clean it like you would the tank. Acid, rinse well and coat with a good sealer if necessary.

6. BJR

BJR

The tube is a vent to let the air out of the tank as the gas goes in. Without it the gas would burp back out of the fill tube. It should have a hole drilled in it or not be crimped all the way shut to let some air out.

7. grf-x

grf-x

would the acid harm the lead/tin (or whatever it is) softer coating on the outside of the tube?
    I am not sure what it is, but is cleanup easily. Shined up she I was trying to wipe the dirt off with a rag.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Citric acid would work too.Bike guys in here clean their gas tanks with that.I've used it few times too.

9. You can soak it in oxalic acid (available at hardware or paint stores as deck wash or wood bleach), or vinegar.

10. give it acouple days bath in vinegarand use a long brush and scrubb it out(wear gloves) then wash it out with soap and water a couple of times and your good to go