Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 style tailgate on 53-56 F-100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greenone, May 23, 2012.

1. greenone

greenone

I figured some HAMBer may have some info on this. I have a smooth tailgate on a 55 F100 that came with the truck. I don't really care for the stock gate on that truck with the big ford block letters, but I dig the three panel style on the F-1. I've seen a few F100's with the three panel gate on them, but haven't ever been able to talk to the owners. The F-1 tailgate seems a different size so I'm not sure if my only option is to cannibalize two good tailgates into one or what. I'd be ok with that if that's my only choice. Has anyone ever run into this before?

Thanks in advance!

2. fun-ford

fun-ford

3. greenone

greenone

Nice truck! That pic is what got me thinking about this again! Thanks for the info. I've been checking the swap meets and hopefully I can round up one soon.

Thanks again

4. fun-ford

fun-ford

5. I used a 48' on a 54' fits like a glove.

6. RQQFER

RQQFER
    from AltaLoma

The dimensions on the F1 tailgates are the same as the F100s, but beware of the F2/F3 tailgates. They pop up at swapmeets and are a about 2 inches wider. It threw me for loop, and I don't know if all of them came with that bed. Mac's had the gates new, and you used to be able to order them without the catch brackets. Once upon a time I worked for one of the repro dealers...

7. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'm planning on putting a F1 gate on my 54 when the time comes mainly for the Ford script. I think it looks better IMO.