Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint your car yourself, the 1912 way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPEEDBARRONS, May 22, 2012.

1. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Cheap

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That guy in the picture looks like Laurel or Hardy (whichever one the little guy was) :D

Don

3. paint2live

paint2live

Thats great ...wish i had a copy of that!

4. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Save $25 to $75! wow. Still in 1912 $75 was a lot of money.

5. That guy in the picture looks like Laurel or Hardy (whichever one the little guy was - Believe that would be Laurel

6. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool. When I was going to Tech School for auto body, my great uncle came to visit. He was a mechanic and blacksmith in that 1909 to 1920 time period and he told me about how he brush painted cars with a similar system before WWI. He used a Shellac type paint which was brushed on. He would let it dry, sand the brush strokes smoothe, apply several coats, sanding between, and then polish with a compound and finish by rubbing with corn starch. Actually, early Fords, as well as other cars, were painted this way at the factory.

(no) overspray

7. gwr1800

gwr1800

My Grandfather used to brush paint cars for a local Olds dealer's body shop way back when..... I used to hear that story every time I painted a car in his garage.

8. fozz71

fozz71
    from Oswego, IL

Actually Henry Ford, after about 1917, used a gravity flow system of painting T's; a garden-hose type sprayer just oozed the paint onto the top of the sheet metal and it "flowed" down the metal and dripped down into catch pans below the moving line. T's are notorious for missed spots and long drip lines down the sides. For the times it was cheap and rugged- I have tried to remove original T paint and it is a bear- gotta grind it down by hand, even airplane stripper is useless.

9. boldventure

boldventure

10. gas pumper

gas pumper

Well there goes the idea about glossy paint being the only way. Velvet coat, the dull non shinny new way to finish your speedster.:p

There's nothing new, it's all been done before, and 100 years ago!!