Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Ride - Survivor 1956 Ford Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kujoe's-56

kujoe's-56
    from Houston,TX

looking to see if you still have the car and the progress,

2. Still have the car and no plans to get rid of it any time in the foreseeable future, but no progress other than driving it as much as possible...

3. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

you sir, are doing it right!!! [​IMG] congrats

4. Ok, I know this is an old thread (although it seems several really old threads are getting brought back up recently). Anyway, I decided to go fix the pictures and make an update. I finally got around to getting the 3x2 setup on it this last summer and also swapped out the front springs for Aerostar springs. It rides much better and doesn't try to flood itself every time I park it now. Anyway, I did just turn over a little over 88,000 miles on my way back from the St. Louis Hot Rod Hundred this past October and plan to put even more miles on it now that it is more reliable.

Here is a pic running down the road in Illinois taken by bchrismer while we were on the HRH.

STL HRH cropped.jpg

And, a pic of the 3 94's now on top of the engine. I set it up with progressive linkage and still have some tuning to do. But, at least it runs better than it did. I also swapped out all the ignition components trying to make sure I wouldn't have issues on my trip.

IMG_2542.JPG

Anyway, as we all know there is always more to do and my list keeps getting longer. But, at least I finally got all the work I planned to do almost 4 years ago when I started this thread done...

5. 55Brodie

55Brodie

That's a tasty tudor. Looks like you'll need a breather cap then you'll be done!

guthriesmith likes this.
  6. Very nice!
    Let's see.....
    1. Nice car
    2. Bought it for less than you intended to
    3. Wife is cool with it
    4. Two boys (plus two new girls)
    _____
    = you are blessed!

54delray and guthriesmith like this.
  7. Yep, it has a breather cap. That pic was during the install. Now, I just need to get it tuned better and re-seal the carburetors. Thanks!

8. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Still have the 56 Victoria I drove to high school. Re-engined with a Cleveland in 1973. Don't forget to change the crankcase breather located low on the engine block. Seems that often got overlooked and could cause the motor to sludge up. BTW, a classmate at NMSU (Las Cruces) had a solid red sedan exactly like yours back in 1962-63. Great find, story and pix. You are indeed blessed - the Lord is truly looking out for you.

guthriesmith likes this.
  9. Had to add one more pic with my four kids since they are such a big piece of this story too. I took them with me on the trip to St. Louis and this pic was in southern Illinois.

image.jpg

Nads, Dan Hay, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  10. I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to update the latest on the old Fairlane... I still have it and have clocked another 12,000 miles in the last few years on it. The only real changes since the last post were losing the 3x2 after fighting the Holley 94’s for long enough and swapping to different wheels and tires a couple years ago. I ended up with a ‘57 intake and an Edelbrock carb that made it a lot more reliable. And, I kept the wheels and tires off my kids shoebox when we sold it and swapped them out with the originals. Anyway, still trying to drive it as much as possible although the old Fordomatic transmission is about shot... Looking forward to taking it to the Gathering at the Roc in a couple weeks. Driving pic photo credit to Travis “Royboy” Scanlan taken during the Oklahoma Hot Rod Hundred a couple weeks ago.

DA9FF233-0F20-42EB-8F41-B7A93AD5324B.jpeg 7C1FAD6E-9821-4DF6-B1CF-063A03A1DB5B.jpeg

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats @guthriesmith...I missed it first time around...its better than when you got it...looks real sharp and it's delivered you generally good times...thanks for the update...25 more to go...;)

I'm running 94s...I have a 6x2 but running on center 2...some day I'd like to get them all going...but it would be a bigger challenge at the tuning end.

I will say despite being primitive they seem happy...sorry they didn't work out...hey you turn the key it goes good...what's not to like and I'm sure it looks just fine...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    guthriesmith and Roothawg like this.
  12. Ok, so I know this is a really old thread... But, it is mine, I still have the car, and I have a good excuse to bump it. :D I have owned this car for right at 12 years now which is sadly a long time for me. Even though lots of cars have come and gone over the last 40 years since I have been playing with them, this has become my keeper. Even though I don’t put on as many miles as some of you guys, I have managed to put about 25k on this car driving all over with my kids as some of you know I like to do. I hope to get started on a rebuild of sorts soon since the old 292 is getting worn out as is the Fordomatic, front suspension, etc. :oops: And, the seat has finally had it and needs recovered desperately. I do still drive the car somewhat regularly even with all its issues. It has been at the first two Gathering at the Roc’s as well as multiple StrayKat events and Hot Rod Hundreds.

Anyway, main reason for the bump of such an old thread was to show off what @rusty1 drew up for me that showed up in the mail yesterday. Strangely enough, it is helping with my motivation to get started on the rebuild. :cool: Thanks Sam!!!

E873BC56-B02C-4079-93A4-1D1C75F0EE79.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  13. 05snopro440

05snopro440

This is such a sweet car. I just read the story on how you got it, unreal!

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. Yea, this one was definitely meant to be mine. I now have so many memories of road trips with the kids in it, I have decided that if I am ever in a situation that I have to get rid of everything else, I’ll just daily drive this car. :D

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool thread, I had never seen it before, what a wonderful car, I never knew it still wore its original paint! what a sweetheart....

210superair and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Amazing condition and the paint did not fade much at all ;Must have been garaged most of its life!

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. The paint is actually pretty dead and real thin in some spots. I buffed it the second time back in 2020 before the Gathering at the Roc and was shocked how dull I had let it get. :oops: But, yea, the car has pretty much always been garaged.

86096F8C-DC01-45A6-8EC0-127FAE626D2C.jpeg

18. Still an exceptional survivor!

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Even hauled my daughter that we adopted shortly after getting the car to the hospital to have my first grandkid. :D

E165A692-E79B-4B65-8394-3DB43C8424A2.jpeg

20. Cool story Jeff, I don’t think I had read the history on the car until today. A keeper for sure.

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. Chrome is in great shape!

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

I hadn't read it either!

Glad you bumped it, Jeff.

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. hillbillyrabbit

hillbillyrabbit

Hey Jeff, Its Merv from the chop class a couple weeks ago. Thanks for bumping this thread. Now I am caught up.

guthriesmith likes this.
  24. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I have a 62 Bel Air that wears its original paint as well. Some areas on the hood are showing the black primer through. In about 2004-2005 it was nice and shiny, just last year I buffed it again and like you I was amazed how bad it had gotten. It has spent its entire life being stored inside, it's just the oxidation of the old paint I guess.

And even had time to take a photo!

The memories you've made in this car with your family are awesome.

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. That car hits all the right taste buds for me. Gorgeous. :cool::cool::cool:

fauj, 05snopro440 and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Cool! Got that shoebox done yet? :D I found a car I can practice my chop skills on since it sure is goofy looking with the stock roof. If I can just sell my Buick, I can work on this, it, and my GMC. :oops:

hillbillyrabbit and 210superair like this.
  27. Hey Jeff... Just found this thread today, don't know how I've missed it all these years. Kool that you have as much history, as you do, on it.
    See ya in May!

210superair and guthriesmith like this.
  28. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Never seen this thread either, cool to see the origin story!

guthriesmith likes this.