Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Chrysler 300 2dr 413

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tcat55371, May 21, 2012.

1. tcat55371

tcat55371

Just picked up a 64 300 from Route 65 Classics. Seen it for sale for awhile and the price was dropping so I picked it up. Has a wiring bug and the steering is kinda loose but it seems to ride nice. Has some rust coming thru on the rockers. Has the 413 crossram but I'm not sure the car came with it.

Was hoping the old owner was on here so I could talk them.

John

Attached Files:

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Nice!
    Always liked that year...and a 300 besides!
    Very cool.

3. 73RR

73RR

Nice find!

Can you share with us an approximate cost? Not being nosy, just like to keep tabs on certain cars...

4. Is this a letter series 300?

5. evs1

evs1

The 413 crossram, I think, is pretty much standard on the 300's. Nice car, I always liked those.

6. yeah, those steering wheels are freaking awesome!!!

7. Squablow

Squablow

Is it a 300K, or just a regular 300? I don't think you could get the ram induction on a regular 300. I could be wrong about that, but if you could, it'd be an ultra rare option.

8. 1958300

It's an add-on set of long rams. The 300K ram cars (fewer than 300 made with this option) had short rams. The ram engine was only available in the 300 K.

9. tcat55371

tcat55371

Yeah I'm pretty sure the engine didnt come in this car. The VIN shows it as a 300K and thats all I really know about it sofar. I did find the owner before me and he has been helpful and is a H.A.M.B. member also. So until I can track down more info thats all I know. Rides nice down the road but it has a lot of body roll. Need to figure out a front swaybar for it and I have new front shocks on order. Not that easy to find these days it seems. I paid under 10 for it and over 5. lol

John

10. 4-pot

4-pot

I had a 300K for a dailey driver from 67 thru 71, great car wish I had it back.

11. Screamin' deal! These are NOT known for canyon carving, and the power steering on a Mopar is notoriously vague in feel. The roll you have can be relived to an extent with gas shocks, re-arching the rear springs, and (if you find them!) new torsion bars. You can also get your steering box rebuilt through Firm Feel, as well. These are fine highway cars, with effortless cruising at 80+mph.

I like!

12. sweet car, like said above, get a firm feel steering box for it and drive it!

13. 41 C28

41 C28

Congratulation on you new Mopar.

14. servi53

servi53

dig it, awesome cruiser

15. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Hey,aboute the steering.
    I had a 62 300 that i thaught the steering box was worn out.
    Turns out there is a rubber part between the steering column and the steering box that gets worn oute.
    Not to hard to change it.
    My sterring was loose and when i got the new rubber in it drove like new.

This is how it looked.

[​IMG]

16. tcat55371

tcat55371

Well I don't know if I have something like that but I will take a look. I tried tightening the screw on the box lastnight but it's all the way in. So I'm guessing the box needs a rebuild. Will see what the new shocks do first.

17. Squablow

Squablow

Apparently PST makes a beefy sway bar kit for C-body Mopars that's supposed to be really good. Mopar Muscle magazine did an article on it, installing it in a '69 Newport. Don't know if that same setup would fit a '64 but would be worth checking out.

18. Look on the fender wells below the carbs and see if their is a removable pate on each side, if so it most likely was a factory long ram car, most people do not change the fender wells if they put a long ram on and also the intake should be bolted to heat risers on the exhaust manifolds under the carbs. their is a few more ways to check but these two are quick ones.

19. tcat55371

tcat55371

There are no access plates just the openings where the controlarms go out. The intake is bolted to the exhaust manifold.

Pretty sure this motor wasnt stock in this car anyway. Not a big deal to me, I got it at a good price I think and just have a few bugs to work out. Car is growing on my now so it doesnt matter if the motor came with it or not, it still has it when you open the hood.

20. That is the insert of what is called a "pot coupler" by Mopar. This part was the same from 1966 through 1993 in RWD cars and trucks. It has three components - the pot, the insert and the cap. This MUST have grease in it to function properly. The cap will come off after a bunch of years and the inner portion dries up, making your steering feel like a sponge.

I don't remember if that exact same part was used in 1963 or not, however.

21. storm king

storm king

Absolutely beautiful!

22. tcat55371

tcat55371

I looked at the steering last night and didnt see anything like that unless it's inside the car. Outside is a large clamp above a spline shaft and then it's all in the box.

23. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

There is a cover around the steering column that is bolted to the firewall/floor with a few screws.
    When you get the cover off you will see the rubber.

24. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I'm pretty sure that the guy that used to own this car is from Buffalo, NY. Hw attended the Syracuse Nats every year for the past few years and would stay at the same motel we stayed at. I am a huge Mopar fan, so every year I would deposit some drool on this car and think about it finding its way to my garage. I'm sorry that I don't have any firthewr useable info for you, but Syracuse is coming up fast and I'm certain that I can nail down more info then should you need it.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

25. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Mopars RULE !

26. tcat55371

tcat55371

I found the owner who sold it to the dealer I got it from, he is about 14 miles from my house and he is on this board. :)

I will have to look inside I guess and ssee what your talking about on the steering. I'm off thru the weekend so I get some time to tinker. :)