Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air suspension on original frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FireDogs, May 21, 2012.

1. FireDogs

FireDogs
    from Memphis,TN

On the advice of alliance member *BadShifter* I have decided to start my own thread so that I may be chastized seperately from the poor guy that mispelled the word dumb in his original thread. Go figure, I got told to step aside from original topic to make room for cyber grammar hammers to swing away. haha..I "luv" it.

I have a question about airride on my original '39 Ford COE frame. Its a rather simple question with a ton of answers. How would you go about it? 4 link it up and swap out the front end with a more contemporary unit? I am all ears.Ribbing warranted as I have only dealt with air suspension thats factory equipped on the city ambulances I work around.

2. ryno

ryno

wells lets start with,
    what chassis is under it now, suspension design
    what is your intended purpose of it when done?

3. FireDogs

FireDogs
    from Memphis,TN

The original chassis. All I am wanting to do is up and down. It will have a constant load of about 3,000lbs on it after I put the body on the back and tanks and appliances. Looking for that "mean" low stance when I park it.

4. badshifter

badshifter

Pictures man pictures! If all you want to do is go up and down, ride a merry go round. What "body on the back" and what "appliances"? Ovens? Dishwashers? Washer and Dryers? You building a motorhome? Mobile laundromat? Roach coach?
    And, I'll finish of with what is that "mean" low stance? Is it different than "nice" low, "broken suspension" low, "shit I'm stuck on a speed bump" low ?

5. FireDogs

FireDogs
    from Memphis,TN

My truck was originally a firetruck, converted and used as a water tanker truck to water an orchard in the 60's. the original body ( the one that held hose and tools and the like is waaaaay long gone)just the frame rails exposed and the original water pump remain out back. I intend to bring her back to life as a food truck. Keeping the orgins of the truck a "Fire Truck". to answer your question ,YES it will have a kitchen pretty much in the back. no dish washer---although...hmmmm could make clean-up easier. As far as stance, mainly I would like to bring the service window down to a costumer friendly level and so my back does'nt go out bending over to serve food. If I can get the low custom look while attempting this it would add to the asthetics I am shooting for. I don't need the thing to be winning any bounce competitions from those lowrider DVD's that were so popular back in the mid 90's.You remember those,right? Back when drive bys were a south LA fad and people used the "W" hand signing westside as a tag line while acting "G".YOU KNOW, after everyone saw the Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre video where everyone some trying to drink his gin but they aint chipped in....but I digress,homie. I will post some pics soon...better pics than the rainy day pics I have from the day got her( the truck).

6. godswill

godswill
    from san jose

I would say go with a six link (cantilever) set up in the back. You can lay as low as your notch lets you and you can lock up high enought to tow with out any problems. The best reason to run it is that your bags arent over the axle, so it rides super smooth with or with out weight.

7. FireDogs

FireDogs
    from Memphis,TN

Thanks,bro!

I saw a guy selling a '41 on ebay a couple days ago. he stretched a FWD fame and did that exact thing. it was crazy low to the ground. it got me to thinkin. I dont have a donor truck. If I did a donor truck I am thinking I would prolly swap over to diesel using a 5.9 cummins dodge dually earlier year model. thanks for the input.