Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remote Oil Filter Mounts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, May 21, 2012.

1. 4woody

4woody

I'm putting a mild big block Mopar motor in my '38 Chrysler and due to space limitations am going to relocate the oil filter.

Most oil filter remote mounts are pretty generic, but on Ebay I see a number of used ones that look mas macho, that are supposedly take-offs from race team cars.

Any reason I can't use one that was intended for racing use? Maybe they require special filters?

2. 4woody

4woody

I know one of you racers knows about this...

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I looked and the ones I saw had the filter part numbers listed.

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

If they take the HP6 style filter, it's an expensive filter with a huge center hole. They also make some that take Chevy or Ford (HP1) filters.

Check CP Products, Joes, Canton, Moroso or Peterson Products. They all make nice billet remote mounts.

Stay away from Trans Dapt, Speedway, Jegs, etc that are cheapo cast mounts.

SPark

5. robber

robber

I use a Moroso. Its made so that you can mount it on the fire wall or a frame rail, etc.. I run from the block to the remote, through an oil cooler and back again. Its tapped for 1/2" NPT and also ported for a pressure gage if you want. You can get them to fit Ford, Chevy or Mopar spin off filters. So you can run the HP-1 filters if you want. I have a lot of vertical room where mine is located, so I run a 2QT NAPA spin off in conjunction with a 7QT Moroso oil pan. The oil pan is fitted with a quick ball valve for draining. When it comes to changing my oil and filter, it couldn't be easier... I love this set up!

6. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

What?...you don't enjoy digging the oil pan plug out of a bucket of hot dirty oil?

7. 73RR

73RR

Can't imagine why there would be any operational differences between the 'race' parts and the generic pieces. The requirements are simply that you need a readily available filter and that it have properly sized ports for at least a -8 hose (½npt). I would recommend Aeroquip FC-332 with the push-lok (socketless) fittings.
    If the ports are larger you can get reducing bushings. They might look kinda clunky but they will work.

Check the Wix catalogue, they have a nice looking remote mount.

8. robber

robber

You got it A23... all oil pans should have this feature. They don't drip, they are fast, you don't have to wrench them or strip them, they make oil changes quick and neat with no oil spill, and you are right... you don't have to ever fish the dang plug outta 180 degree oil;)

9. 4woody

4woody

Thanks for the info- I thought since the fittings were so large on some of the racing parts that there might be other differences to keep in mind.

I like that ball valve idea too. I wonder if I can do that on my setup...