Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs just picked up a 51 merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigbopper51, May 20, 2012.

1. First off, congrats!

Second, live with it for a bit. I would take some better pictures and then if you still don't like the roof see if photoshop gives you some ideas.

Is it a runner?

If it was me I'd get it running good first, and then play with the body.

2. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

Add me to the merc roster TO would ya BAD BOB. I have Dark blue 49 merc.Granted a nice chop is a bit lower with slanted b pillars. But as far as rechopping i chopped my own with a friend.You are opening a whole new can of worms.It will be a b#### trying match up all the different cuts that were made to get this cut to where it is now.My opinion is just let it alone it will grow on you. I take it the 51 avatar is your merc also.

[​IMG]

Most all mercs are abit different when it comes to the chopping part of it. The only ones who notice that close are usually other merc guys. jmo

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I like the roofline, as is. Not every Merc has to look the same.

4. Throw a set of skirts on it before you start messing with it.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto, it has perfect proportions as is.

I didn't notice the angle of the windshield that Bad Bob mentioned but I like the flow of it and parked next to a restored stocker it will make the stocker look all out of proportion.

You know a custom is done right when it is parked next to a stone stock version of the same model and it makes the stock version look wrong without looking so radical it's self that it ends up looking overdone. I think that car can do just that. It doesn't have to be "radical" to be a great custom.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. I think you have other work to do before you tackle the body. I think it looks fine the way it is.

7. the merc in my avatar is my dads he built 25 years ago... i was gonna try to buy it but he wants 40 grand and its not worth it . needs paint and oil leaks...

8. I am getting skirts asap and its a drivable car that runs 65 mph like a new bently.has overdrive tranny too:D

9. looking for front and rear seats and all interior ..
    :p

10. i like your chop. and the set of your front window

[​IMG]

Most all mercs are abit different when it comes to the chopping part of it. The only ones who notice that close are usually other merc guys. jmo[/QUOTE]

11. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Congrats....Glad you got you a Merc... Work on it and enjoy it..Drive it in the summer and work on it in the winter...

12. I'm thinking,if it's a runner...skirts and enjoy it til you get ready to change what you don't like. I've seen much worse cars(ProstockJohn's)but it had ALL kinds of issues. I bet you'll get used to the chop and leave it. get some 51 skirts. Don't go with bubble skirts. IMO

PS-Just realized you live in Michigan..Bubble-skirt capitol,hahaha!

13. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

Thats a good idea!but i missed the boat on that one .I always wanted to do a different kar.Now have to many to keep up..........and building a 55 chevy now! that isn't the way i should have done it.So I tried to build a kar i wanted to keep. and my merc does drive wonderful at 70 mph.[last one i built 10 years ago.
    And it does need a few minor things. Yes !! by all means start working on it.you will like it more and more all the time. :D

14. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Drive it when you are thinking about changes. Put together a plan and save them for a winter project. Now is the time to drive and enjoy!

Good Luck!

15. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

leave the chop till last, iron out the other issues and missing parts. by that time you may like it. imo it does not look that bad. i have seen much, much worse!

16. IM just gonna drive the hell out of it and then work on her during the winter!!!

17. I like it the way it is Drive it till the Winter
    than you can decide what you want to do
    with it, and Enjoy your Merc

just my 3.5 cents

18. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

chop looks fine as is; add the bubble skirts and redo the interior, getting rid of that effing steering wheel. If you switch to Buick lights in the front, try a 57 Buick grille too. Drive it.

19. i love the positive attitude with the forums here.. ya'll are bad ass

20. Philbilly

Philbilly

Good lookin Merc!

21. i would like to put a 49 dash in it... but they are hard to find.. sucks some of these guys think that merc parts and more than gold.. !!!! hell if i dont need something for my car of have multiple items id be willing to give them to someone to use it and them give me something i could use.. what happened to the good ole days were the car guys helped eachother.

22. any suggestions on grills??? desoto and chevy everyone has?? i want different but nice and clean!!