Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Mercury Monterey Mild Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pacificustoms, Feb 7, 2012.

1. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

2. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I've really enjoyed seeing what you've done with this car! Some creative thinking and I really like the color. Interior is looking great!
    If you get stumped on finding any parts, feel free to inquire, as I have a small stash of parts and have been all through one of these cars. Looking forward to seeing pics of your future progress! Here's a shot of mine, basically a lowered stocker with a big cam and loud pipes.

Attached Files:

3. Philbilly

Philbilly

Looking good dude! I had a '62 Monterey a few years ago. You definitely don't see many around.

4. Rockabilly M68

Rockabilly M68

This is going to be a great looking ride! Nice work! Gotta love those mercs!!!

5. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Dash and steering wheel turned out great!

6. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Very cool car. I really like it.
    I will say (with all due respect) that The roof and dash color doesn't go well with the green around the wheel arches and on the hood. I love that shade of green though...

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Man I like that merc !!

8. This is coming out really nice!

9. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

that dash is awesome!

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

11. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Thanks! You have a great looking car! These things have such great lines stock, you don't need to do much to them to make them look good!

That's coming up for sure. There's some rust I need to fix and a few holes I want to shave before having the bottom painted. The plan is to paint the bottom like the dash, creme with the green panels, all shiny.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

12. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

While the backwindow was out to paint the roof, I decided to go ahead and have a headliner put in so the old one wont hit me in the head while driving anymore! I removed all of the old insulation, wire wheeled the bottom side of the roof and installed some insulation donated by a customer. Much better without the musty mold smell.

[​IMG]

I also picked up all of the material that I plan to use on the interior. The green fabric is a '62 Mercury material (I don't think it was from a Monterey though), the green vinyl was picked from a book and the goldish green material was found under the bench of an upholstery friends shop. I'm hoping there's enough to do the headliner.

[​IMG]

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

subscribed!!!!!!! kep it going

14. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Looks really good man!!!! great car!!!!

15. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I love your wheel and tire combo.

16. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Thanks! I love watching the build up of your Cadillac!

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

18. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

The headliner is all in and done. I really like the color of it and the material also has a little shine to it as well which is kind of neat in the sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great job! I have been researching headliners lately as I am gonna attempt mine soon. Did you do yours yourself?

20. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

No, I didn't do it. There's a company in Southern California that will make one out of many different materials, it's ACME Headliner (I think). My upholstery guy made this one himself and I helped him put it in.

21. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I have been researching it a lot as well. Not sure if its something that I want to tackles myself or not yet. Different people give you opposite advice on which way to go. If you do yours, let us know how it goes!

22. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Any updates? This is a great build.

23. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

We've gotten slammed at the shop so I haven't had any spare time to work on it. I was hoping to get it more together and take it to Santa Maria but I have to deliver a customers car to him at the show, so mine will have to wait until next year. I did get some of the stereo components mounted. I want a nice stereo but I don't want any of the components seen. I mounted the rear speakers under the package tray in the back and hopefully the sound comes through the material ok.

[​IMG]

I started working on a layout for the package tray. This shape will be all vinyl and then the inserts will be the vintage fabric and the headliner material where the speakers are. I'm trying to make this mimic the lace panels on the dash.

[​IMG]

I also started building the sub box. It sits flush in some recesses that were stamped in from Ford.

[​IMG]

Now it's just driven when it's not pouring rain and will be until June probably when I'll get a little spare time to work on it again. I tried to get a picture picking up all the gold and bronze that's in the roof color.

[​IMG]

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Cool project.

The speakers in the package shelf should be fine...I did the same thing on my buddys t-bird, but I did add perforations to the vinyl to help the sound. There is a layer of 3/8" foam between the vinyl and the speaker too and it still sounds good and can still get very loud. Here's a pic of the package shelf before installation.
    [​IMG]

25. Silverado85

Silverado85

Love what you are doing to the car. No headliner in my current car so I really like yours. Quieter too! What about exhaust pipes? What are you going to use?

26. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Totally diggin' your car! Cool work so far.

27. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Great idea! I had given that a little thought too. We'll see when I cross that bridge I guess.

I'll probably just use whatever I have around the shop. I've got almost enough scraps to put something together probably. I'm thinking of machining a bellflower type tip from stainless. I have a couple ideas but they change frequently.

Thanks!

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Lookin good!!!

29. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

Fucking nice man. Hopefully I'll get to see that at some Nor Cal shows.

30. HotRodHooligan13

HotRodHooligan13

this has bben an awesome thread to read subscribed! i cant wait t see your next update! great job my friend definently inspired