Register now to get rid of these ads!

Belly tank found and bought, whats it from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aztecgold, May 19, 2012.

1. aztecgold

aztecgold

The seller said this was from a P51. It seems to be about right comparing some pics I've seen. Definitely smaller than the P38 tanks by several feet, and steel. It has some rust through on the top, where the canopy typically would go, so its not a perfect specimen. Overall the condition is useable.

Probably will hang from the rafters for awhile until I can get some other projects out of the way. Is a motorcycle powerplant the best way to enjoy these smaller tanks in a lakester fashion?

2. aztecgold

aztecgold

Here's the pic.....

[​IMG]

3. servi53

servi53

4. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Check out the cycle-cars thread... That could be fun.

5. Is that alum or steel? Cant tell if its painted or not but hearing of rust, steel?.

6. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

P38 tanks by several feet, and steel. It has some rust through on the top,

7. You might get in touch with these guys:
    http://www.bellytanks.com/

They have a "spotter's guide" on the site, but it's not really broken down by plane or with photos of each tank.

8. aztecgold

aztecgold

Thanks for the tips guys. Steel for sure, and super thin gauge to keep things light. The bottom half has almost no rust or damage, so I may make a fiberglass mold from the bottom half and use the glass pieces to build a better top section.

I had a hard time sleeping last night, with thoughts of the possibilities of this tank.

9. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

I believe is a 75 gallon P-51 wing tank. Being that small you would have a very hard time making any type of lakester out of it. Unless it was just a putt around kind of thing, like this;

Attached Files:

10. aztecgold

aztecgold

The dimensions are 7'9" and about 25 inches in diameter at its broadest. Its rather fat towards the front, and the pic is at a bit of an angle. Hangs out the bed of my Ranger by about 6 inches.

It would be nearly impossible to install a V8 without hacking it up really bad, and then, whats the point if the shape can't be retained. I was thinking a Briggs might be cool, and my son could run it. It'd still be fast for a kid, plus he'll be able to fit in there for a few years. I'm not small or thin!

11. R Pope

R Pope

By the shape of it, could be a P40 belly tank.
    I would find an ATV, maybe a trike that no-one wants, and put the drive in the tank. A straight front axle and you have any kid's dream! Don't forget a roll cage, though.