Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a shoebox (my build thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinister 45, May 20, 2012.

1. sinister 45

sinister 45

so a couple months ago I get a call from my mom saying she picked up another shoebox project. she flips cars left and right...makes me sick. I hear word that it needs some body work but its chopped. cool that sounds like its right up my ally so i make a deal and get it for cheap. I saw it and got to eye ball it alittle but perfect rainy Oregon stopped me from inspecting it to see if this was a bad idea. then i got really sick for a couple months and surgery and recovery bla bla bla fast forward to last week. I finally was able to dig around and ask turns out this little shoebox is a bit of a unicorn around here. couple years ago she was nice and stock...the owner decided to hot rod her....lots of money and good and some very very bad fab work from multiple hands she was gave up on and tossed in a field to die. a couple of owners later and she now sits in my hand. I look it over and go what the hell happened! The chop is ok need finished. new floor pans sweet...they arent finished...new quarters awsome except drivers side looks like my 9 year old did it. very very poor fab skills. BUT some of its ok...i'll have to redo most of it. The engine bay is even worse...Well get to that later. I am determend to get her happy and on the road again...I guess you can call this the SALVATION thread. Lets start with show and tell of what ive found...

Attached Files:

• 855.jpg
      855.jpg
      File size:
      267.3 KB
      Views:
    • 875.jpg
      875.jpg
      File size:
      488.2 KB
      Views:
    • 878.jpg
      878.jpg
      File size:
      455.3 KB
      Views:
    • 882.jpg
      882.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
    • 889.jpg
      889.jpg
      File size:
      463.8 KB
      Views:
    • 888.jpg
      888.jpg
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
    • 893.jpg
      893.jpg
      File size:
      487.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

nice, I have a 50' I'm working on that's not quite that far along yet.

3. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

Looks like a good start to a great build. Keep us posted on your progress we are a bunch of picture hors

4. sinister 45

sinister 45

so for plans...
    Getting the body back in order and putting it to the ground and put miles on her. the new suspension is on the way. I had a gasser I was working on but sold it to fund this. So I was planning on running that power train but my FE probably isn't such a good idea...i already have my hands full with fab work. So we've got a bunch of SBC around and as much as I hate to put a chevy in her...Ive got to work with what I got. So today i was finally able to start working on her. Got it all cleaned out and started tearing off the front end. My wife likes to be hands on lol...so I gave her a job...she cut out the trunk pan. shame cutting up a new trunk pan but it was never finished so we'll add that to the list. Then she asked whats next...so I put her on the motor thinking that would fix her...minus me lifting the heads and crank she took it down to a bare block. Very impressed husband right here!:) Anyways more pics...

Attached Files:

• 898.jpg
      898.jpg
      File size:
      488.5 KB
      Views:
    • 905.jpg
      905.jpg
      File size:
      469.2 KB
      Views:
    • 914.jpg
      914.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:

5. fordman1

fordman1

Awesome start of a project! Do you still have the T as well? Anyway hello from Portland.

6. sinister 45

sinister 45

Oh yes. My dad and I worked on that T alot...never getting ride of it. staying in the family. Hello back from Eugene :cool:

7. Looks like a nice car to start. It helps big time if a lot of the cleaning was already done. Should give you a nice head start. Lots of potential here. Good score i'd say.

8. sinister 45

sinister 45

***Update***

pulled the body off the frame. that was loads of fun...:rolleyes: ordered a full Gambino taildragger kit. I feel like Johnny Cash lol i keep getting one piece at a time. almost have it all minus the four link. as soon as thats here I can start on the rear end. On that subject what rear ends are you guys running with bags??? Ive got the stocker and a big bolt ford 9". just wondering if ill have clearance issues.

Attached Files:

9. Lono

Lono

Good score there!
    Lots of shoebox inspiration around here to keep you motivated.
    Congratulations.

10. Roger53

Roger53

Do it to it .Saving one is a good thing.May the car god shine threw your shop door and grant many hours of fun.During this build and put many miles of riding on it after the finish of the first part.

11. Hell yeah. Keep us updated.

12. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Any updates on this build?

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Cool car! x2 updates?

14. sinister 45

sinister 45

Well its been awhile...sorry all. i got really sick again and had some major down time...but i'm better now and making good progress! lots of pics to follow :D

15. sinister 45

sinister 45

got on the frame while i was waiting on all the pieces to come in...my wife is a trooper shes been totally hands on!!! anyways some progress pics...

Attached Files:

16. sinister 45

sinister 45

the gambino cnotch is pretty tits if i do say so myself...Got my slam specialties bags and all the fun stuff.

Attached Files:

17. sinister 45

sinister 45

well my wife wanted to learn how to sand blast so i put her in the tank...guys...havin a wife that loves workin on cars is soooooo nice! even put my boy to work! hands on family!

Attached Files:

18. sinister 45

sinister 45

got my fat man drop arms. got the motor back from the machine shop and put back together and painted it. got all the mounts all welded in for the four link...flipped the frame and finished welding everything up. cleaned the frame and primed it and just about finished painting it...then flip and repeat! Excuse the cluttered shop...we got alot of shit...;)

Attached Files:

19. SJLippoldt

SJLippoldt
    from Hays

Tell your wife she rocks! What a cool car!

20. sinister 45

sinister 45

Update time...got the tranny back. She'll cruise nice with this 700r4. Got them mated and mocked up in the frame. Need to fab a tranny mount. I also got the rear end in and all squared up. My gal is gonna be sitting loooooow. :cool:

Attached Files:

21. sinister 45

sinister 45

I'd show pics if this damn site would let me upload them...

Attached Files:

22. sinister 45

sinister 45

This ass will be on the ground!

Attached Files: