Register now to get rid of these ads!

15 x 7 and 15 x 8 tire sizes on 62 Bonneville Safari Wagon ??? hmm ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, May 20, 2012.

1. So I got a good deal on some 5 on 5 new American TTO for the 62 Bonneville Safari Wagon, Hope the offset will be ok, they were a screaming deal so I rolled the dice and bought them...
    There is some more important things I need to start collecting for the wagon . But wondering what is a good tire size for it down the road( ribbon white wall ) They are 15 x 7 for the front 15 X 8 rears. It has H78-14 old Mobil Oil tires on it now. The 15 X 8 have me worried some if they will fit ? I plan on have a few different set of wheels also( Chrome reverse down the road. I don't really plan on lowering the wagon, since I want to retain the ride( also my girlfriend want to drive it to boot !)

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. I had a 61 poncho years ago and had 15x7 & 8 from memory I had 205 /70r15 front and 235/75 r15 rear, with the narrow band ww

3. Thanks for your information, anyone else ran this size combo on a full size Pontiac ?? :D

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Do you know the backspacing on the wheels? You'll probably need 5" backspacing on the 15x8 rears to get them to fit, there's not a lot of space available inside the wheelwells on these cars.

5. I didn't check the back spacing, I bought them on a gamble . They were new and never mounted and great deal... So if they don't fit I'll sell them

6. Kinda sorta in the same realm......I ran 7 and 8 chinese halibrand copies on my 60 Catalina...I think the rear tires were 225 or 235.....had just a touch of sidewall rubbing in a strain--I could have hammered that away in the outer wheelhouse, but I swapped the car off as soon as I got it roadworthy :(

7. large-stache

large-stache

I have a 62 Bonneville 2dr HT,I have 15X6 with 205/70R15s on the front, and 15X7 with 225/70R15s on the rear, I think the rear are 4.5" backspacing. I agree with above statement about a lot of backspacing. These cars don't have a lot of room, and you need to watch the inside as well, the frame flares out around the spring mount. That's why I went for the easier fit of the 15X7s.

8. Should have mentioned that my poncho was an Aussie delivered model, they were on a chev chassis with chev mechanicals. I don't think the track was as wide. Sorry

9. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An 8 inch rim with 235s sounds kind of wide. Even if they fit not sure the clearance between the wheel well lip and the drum is sufficient to be able mount unless you disconnect both shocks allowing the axle to drop further.