Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems diassembling my 29 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baspinall, May 20, 2012.

1. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I am having a hell of a time trying to get my roof off. I got the center section out but can't get the side pieces to come off. There are three layers of metal visable from the inside. Is the middle layer attached to the quarter panels or the roof quarters? Also seems like the roof quarters are welded at intervals along the seem? Kinda leary of just going at it with a cut off wheel. Is there something I am missing here?

2. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Pics

Attached Files:

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Have you looked at the outside to try to go that way ? You are going to have to replace that rusted metal inside anyway but the better care taken for disassemble will help in putting it back together too .
    Any pics of the outer shell area ?

Retro Jim

4. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Yeah I'll get some pics of that. I can slide a flat putty knife under the lip all the way around the outside. The PO did have bondo gooped in the seams that I removed.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

5. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Some of the outside.

Attached Files:

6. I would go to the Ford Barn too. Post you question on the Model "A" forum. They have some pretty knowledgeable people.

7. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Will do that as well.

8. bubmrdrmerc

bubmrdrmerc
    from oklahoma

maybe rivets or spot welds on inner panel mines a special coupe all i had to do was take the nails out sorry not much help here

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Looks like the outside it cleaned up good with nothing holding it there .
    I would push the puddy knife all the way in and slide or tap on the side to find out where the spot welds are . Then make a mark and slide to the next one and just keep doing that all the way around . Then cut the welds till the roof comes loose . You can use a cut off wheel , seam buster or whatever works best for you to break those spot welds loose .
    You can also try like STURGIS39 posted as well .
    Good luck with your 29 coupe build !

Retro Jim

10. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

So was yours three layers of metal? I am thinking the center layer is attached to the lower quarter.

11. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

They have spot welds. Just drill them out or beak the with a chisel.

12. Whenyou think you have all the spotwelds drilled out, you will find 10 more!

13. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Don't have the funds for sand blasting right now so I guess I will try to clean that crap up as well as I can to see the spot welds.

14. Just hit the flange area LIGHTLY with some emery cloth, the spots will show up as little circles/indentations.

15. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I'm going in captain. Wish me luck ......

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

counting from the bottom, the second layer is the outer quarter panel, separate it at that seam. The lower is a reinforcement inside the panel.

17. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Yep just saw that. Thanks. These things are pretty toast already but I am trying to keep as much of them in tack as I can. Man I wish I had Flop's metal skills! Dreading the idea of trying to put new flanges on all these pieces.

18. Black Primer

Black Primer

Yeah Henry used about every method of fastening he could think of, all on one car! Definately will try your patience.

19. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Oh it's trying my patience all right. Spent two hours out there and didn't get that far. Ive messed with a lot of different cars but have never had such a hard time getting one apart!

20. Why do you want to remove the top?

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like your flange building skills are going to be pretty well developed by the time you get those repairs done. Keep us posted on the progress.

22. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

There is just to much rust in between the pieces. Want some good metal there.