Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bag, May 20, 2012.

1. bag

bag

New rebuilt 8BA flathead. Put water in radiator and it coming out the drivers side header. Bad head gasket??? Any ideal??? Thanks Mike

2. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Are you hoping it's just a head gasket? If the water is running out the exaust you should be able to see a crack by one of the exaust valves into a water jacket.

3. bag

bag

Block was cleaned, scoped, and magnafluxed before the build so ????

4. Willy301

Willy301

Pull the head and remove your suspicions. Was the block and head checked for flatness? Often overlooked on the flathead head, since it doesn't have valves in it, many don't take it to the machine shop...

5. Whatever it is, it cannot be diagnosed w/o pulling the head. You are just going to get guesses here.

6. bag

bag

Block was decked, and new alum Eldlebrock heads. Engine has not been cranked since rebuild. Has a stroker kit in it. ???

7. bag

bag

I will pull the heads, but just wanting ideas as to what to look for when I get them off. Thanks for all your help.

8. Are you using 8ba or 59a heads?

9. jack orchard

jack orchard

pull header off far enough to see which port the water is coming from. this will narrow the leak to one or two cylinders. then pull head to check for correct gasket and correct gasket install. if this does not display an obvious problem, then you know which exhaust port(s) that need further examination. good luck...jack

10. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Remove the header and confirm water is coming out of the exhaust port.If it is you have a crack in the port somewhere. Chances are it isn't coming from port but running down externally from else ware. 59ab heads?? or 8ba heads. Is it on passenger side.59a heads require a water passage blocked off on block.

T

11. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Like he said^^^
    If your using 59a style heads you have to block off a water passage
    Pull the head.. Let's See it..

12. jhayse

jhayse

i had that problem was head bolt changed and sealed and its gone
    water came from center port bolt goes int water jacket

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, 32gnu........ I have pics of where the plug goes,....if anyone needs 'em.

Happy Roddin'

4TTRUK

14. BRENT

BRENT

I had the same problem too. What I did was 3 Warm-up and cool down cycles then re-torqued to 65LBS after each cool down. I could believe how much the head bolts still moved after each cycle! Problem is gone now for me, I hope this is your problem.

Brent

15. BRENT

BRENT

OPPP's sorry mine were stock cast heads. Im not sure the torque setting for aluminum but I know there is a special way to torque them down. Cant see why you couldnt re-tourque the head like I did.

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Go with the easy fix first...... And be sure to seal the studs,..where they go in the block...Mine all seeped coolant, on the initial fire up..... Grrrrrr

Fortunately, heads are easy to remove.......

4TTRUK

17. bag

bag

Useing 8BA heads.

18. tig master

tig master
    from up north

8 ba heads have left and right head gaskets.Do yours correspond to this. 59ab both gaskets are the same no r/h l/h scenario.

T

19. Probably just a few thousand flathead guys would like to see the pic. Please show us .

20. bag

bag

Will pull the heads off and let you know. Many good ideas from you guys. thanks.