Register now to get rid of these ads!

36' PU windshield frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikemo, May 19, 2012.

1. mikemo

mikemo

Trying to seperate the 2 halves of my 36' Ford pickup windshield frame to replace the glass, but it's not happening. I've managed to get the 4 screws out of the top half but the others aren't coming out. Any suggestions?

2. Drill the heads out. Seperate the halves. Then drill the rest of the screw out. Retap the holes.

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

That's what I had to do on my '37 frame. After I got the pieces out I wasn't able to drill out the rest of the screw, my bit kept walking. I was able to remake them out of standard key stock. Although I'm not sure what the pieces look like on your '36.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Just like every other broke striped messed up bolt or screw i just weld a washer and/or a nut on it. Did it on my '30 windshield frame just the other day.

5. mikemo

mikemo

Thanks guys, but I'm afraid my question was poorly asked. I understand the drilling out and tapping new threads concept, but what I need to know is how the two halves of this frame are connected. Will the frame halves seperate, given enough pursuasion, if all the screws are removed from just the bottom half? If that is possible I won't have to mess with the top half screws. Don't want to booger anything that I don't have to.

6. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Yes, It will. Soak it down with your favorite penetrating oil the day before. I know mine was rusted in tight.

7. mikemo

mikemo

Thanks, Jedidiah