Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Mopar More-door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

There were some holes in the hood from a missing piece of trim so my first thought was just to weld them up. Then I thought I would go ahead and just weld the whole seam and make the hood one piece. Finally i though I might as well add a peak so I filled all the old trim and emblem holes and welded a 3/16" rod down the seam. It's got a little ways to go to get it in primer but I like it so far.

Attached Files:

2. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

3. duke7427

duke7427
    from Colorado

Sweet. Great thread. Looking forward to the progress.

4. jsquared89

jsquared89
    from Troy,MO

Was this car on Craigslist??..I swear I've seen it before

5. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Yeah, I had in on there for a while. I thought about selling it cause I was looking at a 49 Caddy. I decided to keep it and keep going on it.

6. jsquared89

jsquared89
    from Troy,MO

Good choice, I like what your doing with it! I have a 50 business coupe with a stock flathead, preparing to put on a Edmunds dual intake and split manifold

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Cool! Bizzy coupes are my favorite. Do you have pictures?

8. jsquared89

jsquared89
    from Troy,MO

Here's the intake/exhaust setup, only ill be running stock Carters. The last pic is how its sitting now

Attached Files:

9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Very cool! Who did that exhaust manifold for you?

10. jsquared89

jsquared89
    from Troy,MO

Actually I just got it from a fellow Hamber "last gman"

11. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I did a little boneyard shopping on the way home from work today. One of the guys on the P15D24 website figured out how to put a Ford Ranger 5 speed behind the old Mopar flat sixes so I got one of those and an 8.8 Explorer rear end with disc brakes and a 3:73 limited slip.

Attached Files:

12. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I finished my hood peak and shot some epoxy primer on it; that'll hold it for a while. Im still not 100% sure where Im going with this; just doing one small mod at a time and see where it ends up.

Attached Files:

13. arthurC3

arthurC3

I am loving these Mopar builds.Show some more of the five speed conversions for the flathead six.Anyone know which tubeless wheels can be used with the stock 1938 Dodge drums? The tubed wide whites are going on the wall.Where did you get the Holley carb adapter?

14. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

What year Explorer rear and whats the width? 5 speed swap sounds like a great option for those using stock/warmed-up flatties!

15. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks! The Holley adapter is actually for a Chevy; it adapts a two barrel holley to a single barrel straight six intake. I had to take the carb mounting studs out of the intake and drill one new hole to make it work but it was easy.

The rearend was from a 2000 Explorer; I think it was 54" between the backing plates. It's within an inch of the stock rearend so it should work fine after I relocate the spring pads.

There's a guy named Robert on the P15 D24 site that came up with the 5 speed Ford Ranger trans swap. He's got a bunch of pictures posted; it looks like a cool deal so I bought one and am going to try the same thing.

16. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I started mocking up the Ranger 5 speed onto the factory bellhousing using an old spare flathead I had. I'm copying this idea; a guy on the P15D24 site designed this swap. I had the bellhousing blasted and made a template; just need to drop it off at the machine shop to have the center hole machined out 1/8".

Attached Files:

17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I ordered my Langdon's flathead HEI distributor today; should have my 5 speed front plate back from the machine shop in a few days, too. They are welding on a guide tube for the Mopar throwout bearing.

18. arthurC3

arthurC3

What is the tube that has to be welded? Where does it go? I thought that you had to machine the throwout bearing to make it work .Art.

19. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

On the Dodge trans the input shaft has a sleeve that the throwoutbearing rides on. On the Ranger trans it used a hydraulic throwoutbearing that mounted to the ranger bellhousing so it did not have a sleeve. I wanted to use the mechanical clutch linkage and Dodge thowoutbearing so I have to have a sleeve machined to go over the input shaft and mount to the front plate of the Ranger trans for the throwout bearing to ride on. I'll post some pics when I get it back.

20. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I got my Ranger trans front plate back from the machine shop. They did an awesome job; they made this snout for the Dodge throwout bearing to ride on. Reasonable price, too. It's Morley Performance in Fenton, Missouri if anyone wants to check them out online or on Facebook. Great shop with some cool projects going on.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

21. farmer12

farmer12

Great progress, I like what you've done with the hood!

22. I'm glad I kept the flathead six in my 1940 P10 business coupe....the stock 201 six was toasted, so I found a 1955 230 six to replace it.....just bolted in using the 40 oil pan and bell housing....found an offenhauser dual carb intake....a pair of phillips cast iron 3into1 headers, dual exhaust....runs like a champ...sounds great....has more snot than a stock flathead six.....good call keeping the flathead !!!

23. sololobo

sololobo

This cruzr nudges my MoPar jones right up. This will be a fun ride , good approach. Cool! ~sololobo~

24. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks all; I'm glad I kept the flattie, too. I got my HEI installed; wow, what a difference in throttle response! Very easy to do; only took a few hours.

Attached Files: