Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Shelby American Collection OT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luciomduran, Nov 19, 2009.

1. luciomduran

luciomduran

Here are some photos from our trip to the Shelby Museum here in Colorado. Amazing place to see original Shelby vehicles and memorabilia:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I sure wish my dad never sold his ratty '66 GT350. CSX1692 if i'm not mistaken... had the Le Mans stripe delete. Kinda unusual.

3. luciomduran

luciomduran

4. luciomduran

luciomduran

5. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Amazing history. Beautiful cars, but I love that blue Ford Galaxie. thanks

6. luciomduran

luciomduran

Me too. It had a monster 427 in it. Original R code car.

7. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

where at in CO? I've heard about it but never been. I'll be headed to the Vegas facility next week so this was a good primer for the mind numbing array of awesome!

8. luciomduran

luciomduran

It's in Boulder. About 30 minutes outside of Denver. Just look up Shelby American Collection on the web.

9. luciomduran

luciomduran

10. 54BOMB

54BOMB

That place is a lot of fun , did you see the original cobra body hanging on the wall that they pulled out of a dumpster , some one had thrown it away. Amazing.

11. luciomduran

luciomduran

That was awesome. I wish we would have got a picture of it.

12. noboD

noboD

I was there a few years ago, not big but very impressive. I talked to the owner and mentioned the blue '66 Mustang was sold new in Harrisburg by our local Ford dealer, about 15 miles from here. Then I said in the '70's there was a Cobra club convention in Hershey, about 2 miles from here, and I remember a black Cobra with a 427 OHC engine from Colorado that had driven to Hershey. He laughed and said, yea, I was riding shotgun. Small world!

13. On my "to do" list. Thanks for posting the photos!!

14. The yearly Christmas party is in just a few weeks !! >>>>.

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow. Cool pics. I was not familiar with this museum but will have to find out more about it.

In addition to the old cars, we own an OT later model Shelby Mustang and enjoy all of the old and current history relating to Carroll Shelby and his automobiles.

Thanks for sharing.

16. luciomduran

luciomduran

17. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Have to make it out there one day and check it out. Thanks for posting the photos.

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

^ WTF???!!!
    Bitchen pictures. That looks like a good time with some bros.
    I drove through there a few years ago and will go back next summer and stop.
    I'd love to have an original AC ace that was the foundation of the cobra.
    Pulled a body outta the dumpster, can you imagine.

19. Wow..I'm so jealous. :)

20. I went there for a Christmas Party/fundraiser about 10 years ago. My mind was blown. I sat down for a drink, right next to Carroll Shelby. I didn't recognize him right off, cause my mind was blown. I just did one of those polite nods and a smile that you do to a pleasant older gentleman sitting next you. He sorta looked like my grandpa. By the time I processed who he was, he was getting up to do a little speech. Real sharp guy, intellectually, he had not lost a step. For a while a regretted not talking to him, but I was enjoying the whole day, and really, what of value would I say to him?

Anyway, a great museum.

21. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

22. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

It would probably have been SFM 6S1692 ... that was the format for the 66 GT-350s ... I'm trying to recall, but I believe the CSX prefix was used on Cobras.

23. You are correct:

SFM Shelby Ford Mustang

CSX Carroll Shelby eXperimental

To the original poster Great pics, Thank You!

24. JKA

JKA

I used to own SFM6S1694. Was a black Hertz car. I restored the car back in late 70's early 80's. Won first place at SAAC-7. Kick myself in the ass every day for selling it. Wish I could track it down again.

25. so whats the story on the gray primer mustang?

26. luciomduran

luciomduran

Owner: Steve Volk
    Under Restoration by: Murray Racing
    In mid-1964 Ford introduced the Ford Mustang to a receptive public which quickly made the Mustang a best seller. To further enhance sales of America's newest economy sports car, Lee Iacocca approached Shelby with the thought of having Shelby prepare and campaign the Mustang as a B production SCCA racer. SFM5R002 or "002" was the first Shelby Mustang "R" Model completed. In essence, "002" was a factory engineering, or factory mule race car. "002" is easy to distinguish in historic photos due to its unique roll bar which had rear braces that ran along the rear window and ended up welded to the rear bulkhead instead of just inside of the rear wheel houses. "002" also had one-piece Plexiglas side windows which were attached to the doors with an angle bracket. Subsequent "R" Models used windows which were able to roll down into the doors.
    Shelby built a total of two factory team Shelby Mustang "R" Models and thirty-five factory prepared "R" Models for racing customers. Shelby wont the B-Production SCCA championship in 1965 with his two Factory "R" Models. The second factory team "R" Model was mistakenly badged "001" at the end of the 1965 racing seasion by a technician who accidentally switched the tags as the cars were being prepared to be sold to independent racers.