Register now to get rid of these ads!

opel kadett gasser amc engine build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by american opel, Jun 15, 2011.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Keep her AMC man,Glad you and Don are kicking ass with Rambler power. I own a Gremlin with an AMC 360 built up.its fun freaking people out and with an AMC motor too!

2. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

thanks guys.i also took dons spare 401 with me.barry is going to look at it and see what he could do.he was very impressed with what i have done so far and thinks it will be a hell of a motor!he asked me how heavy my car was,and after i told him it was 2237lbs,he asked if the cage was cert.to 8.50s.i said hell no!!!his friend looked at me puzzeled when i said "i dont want to go that fast,i just want to do some wheelies and have fun."i would be happy running 10.50s at 100mph!!

3. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well i just got back from wv.there was sooooooooo many problems with the engine it wasnt even funny.hone block{not enought clearance for the pistons}new cam bearings{put in crooked}polish crank and new bearings{not enough clearance}shave heads.020 to straighten them out,new rings etc!!!!!!well at least it is done right and the dyno numbers are [email protected]@5400.im thinking its about 200 more hp.than the 360.i should in the 9's but ill be happy in the 10's.

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

heres some pics.at the shop.hopefully ill have it in by next week!!!!

Attached Files:

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

If 566 is about 200 more, then that's about a 35% increase!
    Now you'll get to see if there are any suspension problems and how well the casters work :)
    Make sure you have fresh batteries for your camera cause these pics should be outta sight!! Tom S. in Tn.

6. Nice numbers on the new mill, can't wait to see it run

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

thanks guys.i'm deff.going to get a bunch of video.with so much power and 515lb @ 5400{about 300 more than converter stall} i'm not sure if i can use the trans brake.
    at least at thompsons gasser reunion ill have alot of time to get everything dialed in with the suspension and then play around with the T.B.

8. Grumbler

Grumbler

Ah AMC memories, I owned two 69 Javelins back in the 70's, the first a 343 auto, the second another 343 with the "good" factory Hurst shifter and a T-10. Always wanted an AMX though. Still do!

9. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well it's in and fired up.sounds great!!!!i have some video but i have to put it on utube first and havent had the time.

Attached Files:

10. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well i found a leak in the head.i thought it was the head-gasket but there is a small pinhole in the front ear.it's a common problem for amc's so i ground it out and put some jb weld on it.today im going to put some hondabond one it and tomorrow ill pressure check it.if all is good i should be a thompson for some shake down passes.

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Do you mean..... ''Honda-Don-Bond'' Ha ha ha............Goodluck...hope you get down the track soon...Dave

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yeah!!!thanks dave.i got it started yesterday and everything looked good.the fuel pump started making some funny sounds so i got a new one from summit.ill get it together today and hopefully race tonight.if all goes well and i get the enclosed trailer from kenny tomorrow i might load up and go to beaver.

13. Martin; Glad you found the leak and got it squared away! My son is in from Colorado, so I won't make Beaver. Hey maybe see ya at National Trail? Aaron Dupont

14. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well i took it out to thompson for acouple of shake-down runs.the first pass i took it easy and left at an idle.it ran [email protected] maybe it wasn't too easy!the next pass i lost reverse but still decided to make a pass and it went [email protected] took the tranny out and had my tranny guy look at it.the trans is fine but the converter is shot.all of the metal came from it,DAMIT!!!!he is sending it back to BTE to cut it apart and go through it.the good thing is with the new motor i have all of the specs and a dyno sheet for them so they can build it with the right stall!the
    the trailer is done and i cant wait to use it.its going to be nice not having to worry about rain and dew!!!!

15. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well it's been awhile since i have been on here.last week i finally got the time to put the new tranny in.everything seems good so it looks like i'm going to marion saturday for the funnycar nationals.it's a pretty long haul and alittle scarry not having the time to make some shake down runs but what the hell,it sould be exciting!!!

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I can't recall how many times we left town with nothing but a bare block in the car and all the parts in a box.
    Exciting alright if there is no time for a time trial. Tom S.

17. So how did the opel run ?

18. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

well the first pass was a 10.95 @120mph.i foot braked it the whole race and got some nice wheelies the first 3 passes.after that the track went away and nothing too exciting happened.it looks like high 10s are all that i'm going to get out of the new motor but that doesnt bother me as long as it holds together!in two weeks thompson is haveing there gasser nationals and i am going to play around with the trans brake.hope to see everyone there!

19. Bet it felt great to get in the drivers seat and let it loose, good luck

20. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yes it did.it was alittle scarry at first but after the light comes down i forgot all about all the new stuff and just felt like i was at home again!!i really was to go to thompson in two weeks but with my son doing so good in football and them wanting him to play both freshman-and J.V.{thursday-saturday}im not sure what i'm going to do.

21. DJRODS

DJRODS
    from WI

Are you still around? I now own this and would like more info on this ride

22. j hansen

j hansen