Register now to get rid of these ads!

Switching careers on a bad note....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ParkinsonSpeed, Apr 13, 2012.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hell, at age 57 I've made so many career direction changes it could be a slot machine game. Like Doc Watson said "Square up the shoulders, take a deep breath and leap into it." Being in your twenties you still have a lot of years ahead of you. Go with what you know, your idea about CAD is a really good idea. There will always be a market for skills like that. Technology is advancing so fast that there is really cool stuff coming out all the time and I believe that with your combination of experience, proper training and desire to learn a new trade you can do really well. Just don't get into shipyard work (production side), that shit will make you old before your time.

2. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Well im still keeping all options open. Looking into a few schools for cad and all that but still trying to figure out whats out there. I would love to work in a chassis shop but none around here that are hiring.

3. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Are you interested in moving? There are tons of opprotunites that an ex welder could find.

4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Thanks for all the help and replies, im currently looking at a job thermite welding railroad tracks all over the U.S. it fits what i know and i get to travel. Being single i see this as the best opportunity to save up fund for my next project and travel and see some new stuff.

5. I started teaching at 39 ,big change in lifestyle. the money is not as good but having more time to spend at home with family and finally getting to work on my stuff is super cool. good luck

6. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I was thinking about you this afternoon and wondering if you had pursued something new. I do some business with the guys that do RR track repair. Seems like they never know where they will stop for the night, and when they work, they work very hard.

Good luck!

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That sounds like a great opportunity! Getting paid to travel the US is pretty cool! Plus, not only will you be able to hook up with fellow HAMBers wherever you go but think about the opportunities to find some cool old cars to buy and stash for when you settle down in one place. Man if I was in your shoes I'd jump all over that! GO FOR IT!

8. bennydog

bennydog
    from Corona

I say ICC special inspector for structural steel, or CWI.. lots of CWI's needed right now. Good money and benifits.. Thats what I do!

9. 1ton

1ton

You could always become a prostetute but how would you survive on five bucks a day?

10. Glad you found something you think you'll like. Traveling the country and getting paid to do it will be cool. Good luck with your new opportunity.
    Tom

11. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Haha there's not enough blind women looking for male prostitutes im afraid... Well as i said its a on going deal and i should pass my background and all that but if something comes up im definitely going to be looking at doing CWI but the travel thing with me being single with no kids is kind of a no brainer.

12. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Well i officially took the Railroad job and i will be headed out the the middle of the desert for a few weeks starting the 31'st. I'm not real sure what to expect but thanks everyone for the ideas and heads up on other jobs and careers. I honestly couldn't decide or think about what to do next but for now traveling and seeing the country and maybe stumble upon a project or two is what i'm hoping!

13. modified1927

modified1927

I started in body and paint in '72, and would get pissed and change every few years but then would go back. I ended up breaking my back and that changed lots of things, I can still function but not day in and out, so now insurance adjuster. Its not that hard of a transition. I had body shop over in Waxahachie in the early 90's, and still have some contacts in that area even though I moved to Calif to take care of my dad. Who knows, let me know and maybe I can point you in the right direction.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Congratulations on getting the job. Give 110% and never look back. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.

15. X2 if the railroad thing doesn't work out. Share what you've learned.

16. papajohn

papajohn

Would there be too much exposure as a welding instructor? How about QC for welded parts?

17. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Just finished my teaching qualifications and now looking for full time work, plenty out there. Not as exciting as "travelling man" here but at 44 years young i'm chuffed to be starting a career i really enjoy. Money isn't bad either.

OP good news on the job. What i'd give to be 20 years younger, travelling the globe again. Good luck, i so wish i was in your shoes right now. Just make sure you take a camera out and about and report back your findings.

:cool:

18. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Brother, there is an upholstery class here in Fort Worth at TCC NW campus, the instructors are top-notch and the cost is reasonable. I took the class with my Dad and had a blast doing it! PM me and I'll get you the instructor's name and number. I can even get you a sewing machine for a reasonable price, and they are not cheap...

Also, someone else mentioned going to the state for re-training, and Texas does offer this, look up Texas Workforce Commission for more info.

19. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

LMFAO!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard/seen in weeks!

I'm sure glad that the RR thing worked out for you. I traveled as a part of my job for 2 decades & I really loved it.

Keep us posted on your progress with the rod.

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good luck on the job man, sounds pretty cool. Btw, if you see some cool and interesting stuff out there post some pics.

21. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

I agree with zookeeper. I have been a cnc machinist for 10+ years. I am 28. I have almost always entangled Haas cncs. Currently working 2 different jobs. These machines are very use friendly. Also learn to read/ program in g-code. I learned at a small shop that disnt have the money for a case program. And because I program only in g-code at the interface I have gotten hired over much better quilified applicants.good luck. I enjoy the machinist field. Currently building my own cnc router for my garage. To machine wood for molds for sand casting. Good luck. You will like

22. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

I second that one!!! I've worked in a header shop for 25yrs making rivets...those headers can really pour out the smoke on some jobs especially when it's winter and the shop doors are closed. We have Torit dry flows..and while not the hot setup in an oily/s,okey environment they do work!
    If you can't readily find a newcareer, and I didn't read the whole thread, sorry, try a new or used filtration system even if you'll only use it occasionaly at home.
    Good luck on the new career, my back has gone out about 4 times in the last 25yrs and "I" should really get into something different myself, and that's hard to do when all I've ever really known was making rivets...

23. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Well i thought i would update this.... Ive been thermite welding now since the end of may and im loving it! I have been to Arizona, Utah, Illiois, Wisconsin, The U.P. (upper peninsula of michigan) Iowa, Minnisota, New Mexico, and now headed to South Carolina. Its definatley a single mans job with the on the spot traveling and if you can stand hard labor in the elements and have some common sense anyone can do it! I will be magnesium welding up switches and cross points this winter so i can venture closer to Texas where i really want to be during the winter months. I think being outside in the elements has realy improved my health and you cant learn enough about welding and metal's, well thats my opinion. Tons of project cars i would love to buy and send home but im saving up for a few acres and a nice shop!

24. People look at me funny when I work. I hate working INSIDE the shop. I always work just outside the main doors, even in 120+ degree heat.

25. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I am so glad you have updated us, glad you are enjoying what you do, and doing what you enjoy. What more can you ask for? Except maybe doing it in Texas.

Good luck!

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like it has worked out for you and I'm glad to hear it. Pretty cool that you get paid to see the US huh?

27. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Yes Texas would be wonderful since ive never been in snow deeper than 2 inches.... Im currently looking for other welding jobs just to keep an open mind and see if i cant find a mon - friday job where i can settle down in the future also. Its hard to sit in a hotel when i know i could be back home 10 minutes away from my shop and could pick up my welder and build some awesome stuff. I do keep a journal of ideas and stuff i can build since i have so much time on my hands, i could open a welding shop and build anything now since i didnt realize how many ideas i had for shop and house related tables and furniture. You northern guys must love welding or anything that involves heat, it was in the mid 30's and i was freezing!

28. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

Good afternoon welcome to walmart.

29. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

And an update to this.... Work was getting slow for winter so I stumbled into a shop up in Madison, WI and now I'm currently working for Regal Roadsters and love it. Although being 6'0 tall and being built isn't the best fit into a 55 t-bird including working under the dash. It's funny how things change in a year and how time flys!

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

sounds like things are going better for you , good luck ,