Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a new shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by screwy36, May 18, 2012.

1. screwy36

screwy36
    from Topeka, Ks

I'm finally ready to put up a new shop and I'm looking for some ideas about the layout. A lot of you guys on here have killer setups and I need a little help. The basics that I already know; 40x60, 14ft ceiling, 3 overhead doors and a walk-in. I will be storing 4 cars, 1 stall for fabrication and a 2 post lift. I have two other buildings for storage, so I'll try to keep this one as clean as possible. The plan is to put two doors on a long wall (east side) and one door on the north side with a walk-in. I'm looking for best door and lift placement. I'm used to working in a 20x24, so this will be a whole new world for me. Thanks for any help. Jon
    (I hope I didn't post this in the wrong section.)

2. mlagusis

mlagusis

There is the Garage Journal that is to garages what the Jolopy Journal is to Rods and Customs

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

I have an overhead door on the back of mine too. Sort of a drive thru setup. Works great for running stuff out to sandblast. It keeps the mess out of sight.

4. screwy36

screwy36
    from Topeka, Ks

Thanks for the help, guys. I knew I was missing something.;)

5. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know about that....sending a guy who wants to work on his cars, over to GJ, doesn't sound like a good idea. The guys who build garages are over there, the guys who use their shops are over here

My one bit of advise is to make your "working" shop small. Have another building for storing cars and stuff. Otherwise you get to where you have a bunch of cars torn apart all over the shop, and you can't get anything done. And the cars you're storing get filthy when you actually are working on something.

Not that I have any experience with this....

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Your idea of 14' ceilings is great....just make sure you use high lift doors so you can get close to that height items inside...
    Also agree with Squirrel...one basic work bay works best for me....keeps me on track with one project at a time...and in emergency , you can always kick out one of the other cars for a weekend fix...
    Cheers and good luck !!

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Build a big mezzanine, it helps a lot.