Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Ford Model “Y” roadster bodied by Duval.

Attached Files:

2. chrisp

chrisp

A Y roadster? Already the sedan is a dwarf car, who the hell can drive a car this size?? Looks good though.

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That also appears in the Coachbuilt Early Fords thread. I was about to post it there but saw that I did so in July 2011.

4. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks Chrisp for the laugh, I needed that. I know what you mean though. Being a tall guy myself, I liked the two seat Thunderbirds till I drove one. Still like looking at them but no desire to own one.

Speaking of Dwarf cars, check out these. He builds these things out of old refrigerators and other things. They are pretty amazing;

http://www.dwarfcarpromotions.com/#!cars

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'm over 6' 2", and I love the first-gen T-Bids. I had a Stude Hawk and loved the sonofabich. Isn't there a decent seat swap from something foreign? :confused: I had some Firebird twins that were nice. Seems SOMETHING should solve the problem ...

RATHER than pulling a John Wayne & raising the Bird's roof.:D

6. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

I saw this car in Australia in 1988. The guy drove it to Canberra from Darwin. When I was taking pics (cant find them now) the driver was taking to some guy. The guy asked the usual question "how fast does it go?". The driver looked at him, paused for a second and then gave the funniest answer I have heard. "Depends, How big are your balls?" then walked away.

The story was he hit 120 MPH in the northern territory before the self presivation gene kicked in and he backed off.

7. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I don't think this amazing car has been shown on this thread before. If so,
    someone just PM me & I'll delete. I ran onto it looking for something else,
    as so often happens, right? It's from the photo-stream of FlickR member
    vinnyvrg, a real dyed-in-the-wool car guy! :cool: Is this beautiful, or what?!?!:eek:

[​IMG]

We as car people have seen lots of well-done customs, right? But this blew me away!
    Bet you could search the world over and never find the duplicate of this Henry J roadster.
    Be sure and read all the details of Vinny's 1954/5 build, too!!! What a head-turner this
    must have been in that special time! Absolutely WOW, just holy mackerel!

[​IMG]

Vinny's commentary on this unique car: "Built in 1954/55 this Henry J Convertible
    was a rebuild of a nearly new 1953 Henry J Coach that had serious top damage when
    it was rolled over. The top, rear deck and windshield frame where removed. The
    door tops and quarter panel front tops were cut down to match the original Darrin
    dip body creases and then rolled inward. Windshield dog legs were added to allow
    for the use of the popular wrap around windshield from a 1955 Chevrolet. The rear
    deck and trunk lid was fabricated by fitting a Ford Model A coupe deck in reverse
    to make the correct contour match the quarter sides. Side trim was hand formed
    using stainless trim and styled to look similar to the 55 Ford Fairlane. The quarter
    scoop ornaments are from a 1951 Packard. It made a great looking convertible and
    it lost that studgy appearance that the regular 2 door fastback coach showed. The
    engine was replaced with a 1950 Studebaker 246 cid 6 cylinder. With no side win-
    dows or roof the car was protected from the rain with a fitted tonneau cover so it
    may be fair to call it a Roadster and not a Convertible."

9. sixt5cuda

sixt5cuda

I have seen a Copper Cooled Chevrolet at the Peterson Museum in California. It may be the second one, or it may have been on loan from the Ford Museum.

10. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1936 Hudson Stratton Support Saloon Designed by Reid Railton

Built by Coachcraft Ltd, London, England [FONT=&quot]September 23, 1936

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Coachcraft used the design prowess of Reid Railton for these particularly advanced “pre-war Hybrid” cars ( Reid Railton was the designer of the “bluebird” land speed record cars of Sir Malcolm Campbell -- Campbell selected the Hudson eights to set seven speed records at Daytona Beach in 1935 using this engine configuration). The Railton Company manufactured “high end-Coach Built” cars from 1933 to 1939 (1429 total) and only a very few retained the prestigious Hudson designed “Waterfall” grill features. There were only a few of the Hudson Sport Saloons built in 1936. Production numbers do not define coupes, roadsters, etc. Possibly fewer than ten were made and only two exist today. Keep in mind that no two coach built cars are the same. This car was recognized by the Classic Car Club of America as a Full Classic™ in 2011. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This Stratton 4-door Long Wheel Base Sports Saloon is a low slung, streamlined; and yet still spacious design distinguished by long sweeping fenders that in one piece extended through the running boards to the rear fenders. Hidden hinges on the long hood extend its visual effect to accentuate the body’s length; heightened by the deep radiator surround, Chrome shell headlamps, twin horns, driving lights and rain gutters outlining the sun roof and margins all add to the beauty of this Classic Car. This car features aluminum skin over an ash wood frame.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Sport Saloon design trademarks for the 1936 model year include the four suicide doors, the “flat hump” two-section trunk, twin spare 16 inch tires tucked into the streamline design of the fender/running boards and include covers of body design, color and bright-work accents. This fine “formal car” was purchased by the British Foreign Service and delivered to the Governor General of Hong Kong, Sir Andrew Caldecott. It was used as his private “State Car” until just before World War II arrived in Hong Kong. It was then sent by the British Government to Canada for safekeeping. [/FONT]

The restoration was a body off that included the replacement of all support wood including the “A”, “B”, “C”, pillars, plywood that supported the firewall and running board supports and any support wood that showed any type of damage. The car has won many awardshttp://www.classiccar.com/forum/discussion/160078/trying-out-our-new-software-for-the-hudson-forum-/p1 in the short time that it has been completed including the much coveted “People’s Choice Award at the Hudson, Essex, Terraplane National meet in Oklahoma City in 2011. The wiring harness was designed and assembled using copper wire with fused links. The wiring was hidden in the frame rails to enhance the view of the engine. Turn signals were added for safety as was an internal battery cut out. The dual horns need to be connected and the inside back door handles need to be located or manufactured. When driving this fine automobile at today’s highway speeds, it is powerful and very authentic for a seventy-five year old car.

More pics;

http://www.ogdenchrome.com/36hudson

http://www.classiccar.com/forum/dis...out-our-new-software-for-the-hudson-forum-/p1

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

From FlickRiver and well known auto historian Aldon Jewell:cool:, Brooks Stevens' Scimitar,
    crafted around the chassis of a '59 New Yorker. Surely has Stevens' fingerprints all over it,
    right? I wonder if it still exists? :confused: Looks vaguely like the Gaylord, only better.
    1959 Scimitar All-Purpose Sedan, Body by Reutter

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Three Scimitar vehicles were designed and developed to suggest functional and decorative applications for aluminum use in automobiles. The Scimitar project was sponsored by the Olin Matheson Chemical Corporation and was designed by Brook Stevens Associates and Reutter & Company.

A two-door Scimitar convertible was representative boulevard-type sports car, having a hard top that retracted automatically into the luggage area. A four-door Scimitar town car phaeton could be driven as a fully enclosed formal sedan, a town car with partially retracted roof, or an open convertible with both roofs retracted into the luggage area. The Scimitar station wagon shown here has an automatic sliding roof.

All three models were derived from the same basic design and tooling, using a 1959 Chrysler New Yorker chassis. The body utilized removable aluminum anodized quarter panels for aesthetics and reduced maintenance. The grille bumpers, trim, wheel discs, and many interior treatments are of brushed and anodized aluminum, substantially reducing vehicle weight. The car´s name was derived from the shape of a scimitar, a saber with a curved blade.

The three Scimitar models were exhibited first at the 1959 Geneva Auto Show, then at the 1961 International Automobile Show in New York.

Model: Experimental 1959 Scimitar Station Wagon
    Sponsored By: Olin Matheson Chemical Corporation
    Chassis: Chrysler Corporation
    Body By: Reutter/Brook Stevens
    Engine: Chrysler V-8, 350-hp, 413.0-cid
    Bore and Stroke: 4-3/16" x 3-3/4"

The wagon still exists and according to Remarkable Cars appears to currently be residing at the National Automobile Museum in Rene, Nevada.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/prototypes/1959-scimitar.html

Attached Files:

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Scimitar 1961 Sales Brochure

Attached Files:

14. 17dodgebros

17dodgebros

trabold auto company,johnstown pa.

15. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

16. jmckenzie

jmckenzie
    from NJ

Actually there is quite solid evidence. I am the 3rd Great Grandson of George Hull, founder of Friend Company and I have the original NY State Registration for friend #1, dated 1903, license #5737. Attached is a photo and the registration. These cannot be used without permission by me...

Thanks,

Jeremy McKenzie

Attached Files:

17. 4oldcars

4oldcars

Here is a 1970's photo of a 1902 Tourist roadster and one of a 1907 Ford Model K touring car.

Attached Files:

• 4990.jpg
      4990.jpg
      File size:
      90.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4992.jpg
      4992.jpg
      File size:
      135.5 KB
      Views:
  18. swi66

swi66

Jeremy,
    Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

Later on, I did find evidence of the cars existence from the Royalton Historical Society's Facebook pages.
    [​IMG]

Scott Winner posted the above photo.

Thanks for your additional pictures!

Now if you can only find the car!

19. Johnny Meinelt

Johnny Meinelt
    from Alaska

My 1905 Cox
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  20. jmckenzie

jmckenzie
    from NJ

I think the car is long gone although there are some motors from Friend that are still in the family. There are more photos and at some point I will get around to posting them and a more in depth history of Friend.... One step at a time!

21. swi66

swi66

Will be looking forward to hearing more!

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Indeed! I think it was Mister SWI:cool: (Gary) who said quite a while back
    that there's a virtually unlimited number of extinct, near-extinct, super-
    rare, one-off, custom, foreign, home-built, experimental, mini, maxi, etc.,
    cars and trucks to keep us searching, surfing and jawing for the a VERY
    long time!:p Gary, when you're right, you're right!;) THANKS to all who
    contribute or visit! :D Always something interesting here!

23. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Attached Files:

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Why are so many of the Roamers considered full classics? This man had a lot to do
    with it, design engineer Karl H. Martin, along with company founders Kenworthy and
    Barley. Named for a famous racehorse of the era, the Barley company built high-
    end luxury cars powered by Continentals, as well as record-setting speedsters using
    Rochester-Duesenberg mills.
    Karl H. Martin, Wasp, Martin-Wasp Corp., Karl Hamlen ...

www.coachbuilt.com/des/m/martin/martin.htm -

Prior to designing the early Roamers, Martin had been a very successful designer
    of coach-built bodies, almost entirely with European and British chassis in mind.
    He later said he'd considered Locomobile about the only exemplary U.S.-made
    auto. Apparently, he hadn't driven a Thomas, Lozier, ALCO, pierce, Peerless or
    Packard. :rolleyes: After leaving Barley, Martin designed an ultra-elite car of his own, the
    extremely rare Wasp of Bennington, VT.

[​IMG]

Ned Jordan may have gotten original inspiration for his car advertising, seeing ads such
    as this for the Roamer. The copy clearly is selling image and prestige, and the ad says a
    lot about what was in the heads of Barley, Kenworthy and their designer, Karl H. Martin.
    1916-1917 Roamer Touring Car - The Barley Motor Car Co. ad, thanks to American-Auto-
    mobiles.com.

When Roamer production topped out in 1922, Albert Barley launched a new, lower
    priced line, the self-named Barley (1922-24), rebranded for '24 as the even more af-
    fordable Pennant which only lasted from 1924 to '25 and had been largely targeted
    at the taxi market, competing mainly with Checker cars. The Pennant must be very,
    very rare. :eek: I've never seen a photo of one. The typical paint scheme, it's said, was a
    maroon upper body, ivory lower, and they used a little Buda four. Roamer carried
    on, finally sputtering out during 1929, even before the stock market crash.

25. From: http://www.earlyamericanautomobiles.com/americanautomobiles13.htm

<BIG><BIG><BIG>Vulcan</BIG></BIG></BIG>​
    The advertisement was overdone, but the Vulcan was a very good little car. It was associated with cyclecars that did harm to its reputation. It was powered by a four-cycle, 27-horsepower engine and came in two wheelbase sizes, 105 and 115. The transmission was three peeds and shaft driven. With all of the electrric accessories, it was priced under $1,000 that was a bargain. It was organized as he Vulcan Motor Car Company, but financial troubles began and it was soon reorganized as the Vulcan Mfg. Co. in Painsville, OH. ​
    [​IMG]
    1914 Vulcan Automobile Advertisement​
    The car was built by Driggs-Seabury, Sharon, PA who also made cars for othe companies. Alonzo Marsh of the former Marsh Brothers Motor Car Company, Brockton, MM, was the designer. He left the company within a short time in a state of anger and went back to Brockton to design another car. Shortly thereafter, the Vulcan company went into receivership.

26. chrisp

chrisp

SCAR automobile built from 1906 to 1914 created by 2 mecanics in Witry-les-Reims (about 100km east of Paris) they had the particularity to build everything in house unlike most of the car manufacturer of the time who were assembling cars with parts from different sources.
    The first engine was a 18/20 HP side valve twin cam 4cyl, the crank was ball bearing monted, then a 6 was introduced in 1907. In 1908 a 2cyl came in to try to widen the offer and make it more affordable.
    WWI was the end of SCAR since they were right on the frontline the manufacture was destroyed and after the war they couldn't rebuild it.
    From 1907 to 1914 they built about 350 cars, now there are only 6 known survivors.
    Here are 3 that were at the Reims auto show
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This roadster was the SCAR entry at the 1912 automobile Tour de France
    [​IMG]

27. Robbie_Rob

Robbie_Rob
    from Dallas, TX

Found this post on google, the pics bring back memories. Those pics were taken in the house I grew up in, in Palos Heights. The whole family, and the Dayton, have since moved to Dallas, TX.....where the car sits looking exactly as it did there.

If anyone has any interest in the car, or more info on it, I'd love to chat.

Rob

28. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

Amazing...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)

29. This one is for Robbie_Rob

<BIG><BIG>Robie</BIG></BIG>
    Copied from 1914, Horseless age Magazine​
    The Robie, made in Chicago, is a distinctive tandem-seating small car with unique construction in both body and chassis. The final drive is by a single chain to a live rear axle, perhaps the only small car on the present market using this method. The motor is built in the Robie shops in Chicago and is of the two cylinder air-cooled type with 90 degree cylinders of 3 1/2 by 4 3/32 inches bore and stroke. The motor drives a friction transmission which is under the hood. The car has no differential, but drives through the solid axle, and is equipped with wire wheels with sheet metal sides, designed to lessen wind resistance. The Robie has a 108-inch wheelbase, 36-inch tread and sells for $375 upward.​
    [​IMG]
    1914 Robie Automobile​
    Frank Robie designed one of the raciest cycles on the market in 1914. Its swooping fenders, solid disk wheel, and one head light in the center made it a mean-looking machine. Massnick-Phipps Manufacturing Company, Detroit, built the car for the Robie Motor Car Company in Chicago. Robie was not satisfied with his car and had planned to build a bigger car with a a four cylinder water cooled, 45-horse power engine. It was supposed to have been built bythe Pullman Company in York, PA, but his money ran out.​