Register now to get rid of these ads!

What motor? Flathead vs. Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66 kustom C-10, May 18, 2012.

1. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

Rebuilding a 26 Roadster. I want to go with something traditional and vintage. I know there is nothing more traditional than an old flatty sitting in an open engine roadster but a nailhead is a cool motor to look at also. whats yalls opinion.

2. Its six of one half a dozen of the other. If those were my only two options I would use the nail, someone else would prefer the flatty.

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

GM is better kind of cooler too. On that note, you should look at olds rockets & cadillacs too..

4. silent rick

silent rick

depends what era the rest of the car represents

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Nail it! Although, I'd go with the previously mentioned Caddy mill

6. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

You can't go wrong with either one! I prefer the flat head. Is cost a factor? Flathead will probably cost more to rebuild. Good luck! Bob

7. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

The car is Runnin a chevy 305 w/ a t350 auto and ford 9 out back, right now. Just want a little more traditional.

8. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

I'm leaning toward a low stance lakester look. for the car but one engine no windscreen w/ spring behind and def. lake header pointing streight back.

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

A sbc is traditional. Real Hot Rod. Especially with 3 or 4 carbs.

10. mendoza727

mendoza727

If you are sitting on both of those engines, whichever one you do not use, I will be more than happy to take off your hands.

11. snaptwo

snaptwo

The layout/design of the Buick was one of the factors that drew people to them. Just something about the valve cover and exhaust ports that made them look "right". The first one that will tell you of their attributes is none other than Tommy Ivo, they a torque monster! I have a long time friend that had a '57 special ,stick 2 door sedan , with a built 364 , 2 fours and a 3.08 screw in the rear, he used to whip the big muscle stuff top end on the old Henderson truck cut off events. I'm talking 09s,413s and 421 ponchos, it wasn't much out of the hole but was a freight train on top end.

12. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

nailheads are great

13. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

Not as many fighting for the Flat eh. Totally unexpected. Sounds as though the vote is one sided so far.

14. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You said "vs." & we gave you the answer. No fighting nesssesary.

15. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The flathead is the way to go in a 1926 roadster. It is much more traditional looking and will fit inside the frame rails perfectly. The Buick engine is too big and they always look like they are wedged inside the engine bay. The flathead is the choice here!!

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the nailhead is gauranteed to give you some entertainment. a flathead; not as much. everyones running flatheads these days and no one is using the engines that were traditional seen in cars back in the day. Nailheads are really cool, attractive engines. you hardly ever see them. They dress up real well and they are conversation starters. you wont be sorry on the nailhead.

17. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  19. Fenders

Fenders

I've seen all the SBCs and Ford flatties I need to see, gimme the nailhead.

20. Model T1

Model T1

In a T? Flip a coin! Whichever you have or can get the best deal on.
    If I had my choice I'd go with the Nailhead as much as I love Flatheads.

21. If I had an SBC in a T you would only see it until the light changed. :D

Then if it was a questions of looks I would have to make it a question about tail lights. :D

22. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

A flathead will make a light roadster go; a nailhead will make a light roadster GO! Choose one.

23. This kind of thing cracks me up, no disrespect intended.
    Back in the days you call traditional, nobody thought about such things. You used what you had or got what you wanted. Guys didn't cry over the flathead, they yanked'em out for Caddy's, Olds, yes, even ( gasp) Chevy's). I think what is REALLY traditional is jamming the biggest, most powerful motor you can get into whatever you have.
    my two cents.

24. Model T1

Model T1

To really make this forum traditional no vehicle should have parts newer than 1964! That would narrow down the membership and make things really traditional.
    But, as you wrote, traditionally, a shadetree mechanic put the newest, largest, meanest motor/tranny in he could find.
    I love the looks and sounds of a Flatty. But ever since later V-8's came out Flatheads were nothing but boat anchors, traditionally.

25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good friend of mine pulled a 265 out a a 56 chevy convert. and put in a 364 nailhead. I believe the car was a little over a year old. Gary is right: they pulled out whatever was getting beat and replaced it with something bigger/faster.

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

+1

If I were doing a '40s or early '50s build, I'd pick the flathead; anything newer, the Nailhead.

27. I don't think it would change the membership much but it may give us more room to bag on other people's stuff and get called haters for it. Oh hell that is already happening.

28. Torchie

Torchie

I am currently rebuilding a 364 Buick nailhead. Both engine have a distinctive look and sound. Great for a no hood car. As far as Nailhead vs Flathead goes the nailheads are pretty pricey to rebuid. Check some threads on here, people talk about how much they have spent on a Nailhead rebuild. I am sure that Flatheads aren't cheap to rebuild now either.( Cheap being a relative term)
    In the nailheads favor you are more likely to find an engine with a good block. no cracks ect. Those blocks were stout.
    Aganst the use of the nail head would be the fact that you may have to lengthen your frame. Nail heads are long engines. Also they are not exactly tranny swap friendly.
    The Nail head social group here on the HAMB has some great threads in regards to transmissions that will fit.
    Either way you go sounds like it will be a cool car.

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Every time this debate comes up, all I can think of is this quote from the Model T boards:

30. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

Well in terms of price, I know they are both going to be pricey to rebuild but I'm not worried about that currently. I know were both are in running condition but, in reguards to tranny's is where I am getting worries now. I would like to keep with an auto trans if at all possible.