Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's home!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zestybacon, May 17, 2012.

1. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Thanks HR. I as a girl have always been confused by the mechanics..and often left wondering if I just got ripped off. I read that this is the quickest way to fall into a money pit so I was trying to avoid it but you might be right. Maybe I should save and just let someone do the first steps to get it road safe. It does put a pit in my stomache thinking about not being able to do this myself so I do think I will go look for a book on basic auto repair....but man..if I only understood a little I would sooooo waste this weekend getting dirty...ughhhhhh.....

2. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Thank you comfort! I looked on ebay but there seems to be few adifferent kinds of my truck and I cant tell the difference. My friend has my camera and I am just waiting on her to get up so I can post pics. Thanks for the oil idea. I have done that on my own twice. I will keep you posted and thank you for the link!!!!!!!!

3. Roger53

Roger53

Set down with cup java and make a list the ideas and the to do things with safety being at the top. Go over this list till you've move things around in order of inportence.With SAFETY being number one. O have seat where your looking at said project.DO NOT TAKE ONE NUT OFF TILL YOU HAVE DONE SOME READING! Many projects start with of fill in the blank. And are soon a pile of parts to be sold a later date. So take your time it'll get done sooner at way. GOOD LUCK!

4. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I do not have a clue what would be on a safety list other than seat belts ---which this does not have----what is on a safety list? How do I know what oil filter fits my truck? I know there is a book at walmart but do you think it would be in it? also what type of oil? I know they come in numbers 30-40?? what does what? Goood I am soooooooooo in over my head!!!!!!!!

5. It's all a learning process..welcome to your first day of school.
    Read, listen and learn.
    Good luck.

6. How bad a shape is it in?

Here is what I do with a vehicle that I don't know for sure where to start. if I can get it running and driving I do that and drive it around for a few days (months?). That gives it a chance to let me know what to do to it.

If it is not in that shape the first order is to try and figure out what I want to do with it. plan a drive train and start looking. While I am looking I start repairing the body and chassis. I always try and make one right before I start changing it, it just makes it easier to work with later.

7. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

the shape??....??? I think its beautiful... My step sister just called it junk...I have no idea how to get it started I know it needs gas but was told not to put it in the tank. soooo where do I put it???? there are the pedals I don't know how to use and I don't understand the shifting thing....its sooooooo new. I never really watched gramps drive. We were busy talking and I was always looking out the window and trying to get the dog slobber off me. I am alllllll about list if I know what should be on it but ......ughhhhh soooooooooooo confused!!!!!!

8. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

what's home? show the pics bro!

9. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I am waiting for my friend to bring my camera back. I will soon. Not a "Bro" ......all girl....

10. I think you may be able to explain things soooooooooooo much better with fewer soooooo's. Good luck but would really like to see some pictures. Sooooooooooo later.

11. If your living in the country, in Arkansas, there is probably a a distant neighbor who has been working on old equipment for years who can get your truck on the road with little effort. I know you want to do it yourself but, we all started with hands on help.

12. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm the total opposite, I can build a car from the ground up but I don't even know how to do basic maintenance on a house. and mine needs a LOT of work! I can hammer, weld, roll, lead, etc. all day long but give me a board a nail, and a hammer and I can't do shit with it!

13. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Where are you in Ar? The state is full of car guys and gals who would be able to help you. I know of a few in the west and over the river in east Tn. And post a picture please - we like pictures.

14. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I am in Haskell about 30 min south of Little Rock

15. zesty,

Here is my 2 cents... Don't get in a hurry. Start small, get a manual, join the pilot house group, like comfort recommended.

Here are a couple links to look through

http://www.cruisinlittlerock.com

It appears "cruising little rock" is run by a woman named Carol Dolan, you might start by trying to catch her at the next cruise night and have a coversation. Don't hire anyone to work on your project until you've checked out at least 4 or 5 of them and checked with their prior customers. If the shop gives you a bad vibe just walk away, I guarantee you'll find the help you need whether its information or technical help but don't get "sold" on the first one.

This one is a listing of Arkansas clubs

http://www.oldride.com/clubs/arkansas-clubs.html

Again this "only might" be of some help if you go slow

16. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I keep getting error when I try to post pics. I can email them but thats it

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Files might be too large.

Try using this, it works for me.

www.imageoptimizer.net/

18. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! zestybacon!

19. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I tried to join the pilot house group but I said I was doing something wrong in the app. section. after 12 attempts I gave up.

20. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I cant see any truck pixs, but i see your user name, and it makes me hungry.

21. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

????????????? can post pics!! this is what I keep getting

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to say that the first order of business is to buy a copy of a factory shop manual.
    I did find one on DVD on Ebay but so far haven't found a printed version. Being an old guy I like the printed one so I can take it out to the vehicle to read while I look at what I am reading about.
    Here is the number for the dvd one to put in an Ebay search 130510466622

In hunting for that I did find a bit of Dodge truck history.
    http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/history/segment7.html

I also found a reprint of the owners manual Ebay item # 290463199475
    That would tell you how to check things and which knob did what. Not a necessity of life but kind of fun to have for your older rig.

In the "for Dummies" series of books there is actually an Auto Repair for Dummies book. In dummie as usually one doesn't know much about that particular subject an they walk you though the basic in an Auto mechanics 100 sort of way. http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Repair-Dummies-Deanna-Sclar/dp/076459902X

Read the WORK SAFE SECTION very carefully.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't want to post the question on the board you are welcome to pm them to me and I'll find a correct answer.

As far as order of business on the truck. The first thing I would do is get it all cleaned up and out so you can see what you have. Then check things over to see what obviously needs attention.

As the others said, either redo or have the brakes redone before driving the truck.
    Then make sure the suspension and steering is ok and then worry about getting it running good.
    As far as parts check NAPA or the old parts house in town that has been around for ever for parts. If there is a parts house in town where they reach for a parts book rather than look at a computer you have probably found the right parts house to go to. Once you find a parts person that is pretty good go back to that same person every time even if you have to wait for them to wait on you.

23. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

thank you so much 48 !

24. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

how do I know the type of engine and 1/2 ton or 1 ton? It has the wrap front windshield but flat small back window. I can not seem to find out what this is. Once I know that I can start putting the pieces together.

25. henry29

henry29

How many lug nuts on each wheel?

26. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

27. henry29

henry29

Its a half ton short bed.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

OH thank you for posting my pic YOU ROCK!!!!!

29. henry29

henry29

,,,[​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. henry29

henry29

,,,[​IMG]

Attached Files: