Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cragar OHV Banger Swap into the Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, May 6, 2012.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thankya kindly Bob...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. what conversions are you talking about?

"It also got Richard's hydraulic brake conversion with Lincolns all around"

amazing car!

3. Elrod

Elrod

Same reason why some people pay thousands for a piece of art to hang on the wall rather than a flat screen TV. Everyone can have the better performing belly button engine. Not everyone has a crager.

Also some people do it to go faster and the old car body is a neat plus.

Some people do it because they like old stuff, engine included.

4. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Wow great looking car! I love the look of that Pines winterfront.

Mike

5. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

He makes a hydraulic conversion kit that required to cutting or modifying the car. He even supplies it with pre-bent lines, and the whole kit looks just about factory.

As for the actual brakes, they're Lincoln bendix style drums.

http://www.earlyv8garage.qpg.com/

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was funnin' him...see the smiley face?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. NealinCA

NealinCA

That was a neat video and the car is looking great with the new engine.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Thanks,

Neal

8. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Time for some updates......

We spent a lot of time on the car this weekend. The generator and fan were mounted, then it was finished up with a new belt. After that, we mounted the radiator and hung the grill shell on it. We needed to drill the intake so we could use the vacuum line for the wiper motor. Once that was done, we installed the intake and exhaust manifolds for the last time. The carbs, linkage, and air cleaners got installed too.

We still have to figure out how to hook up the choke linkage, and make it look like something done back then at the same time.....any ideas (remember 4 cylinder choke)?

I rolled the car outside for some photos before bringing it back inside to pull the rear end out of the car. It's getting pulled apart this week for 3.54 gear. Also on the list for this week is some new wiring. I have some cloth wire supplies coming in from Rhode Island Wiring, all in stock colors so it'll look original....just a little bit more fresh. Hopefully this time next week, we'll be doing some test runs out in the car.

I also won't bore you guys with another video update.......more to come later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. In answer to your choke question, a friend of mine was running dual updraft zeniths on a Trojan manifold. The person that set it up for him said it would work fine with the choke on the rear carb only, and it did. You might try choking one carb and see how it works. Love the car.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  10. i agree with charlie
    also what are you going to run for a hood
    tops only????!!!!!!
    tk

11. Elrod

Elrod

You only need to choke one carburetor to start the car.

Take a longer throttle rod, or a spark adjusting rod from a Model A, cut one end off and bend that end into a 90 degree. Drill a hole in the firewall (unfortunately you gotta do it) put in a rubber grommet and poke the rod through.

Here is the set up I did on my A when it had the banger.

I did the same thing when I switched to the super charger. Doesn't seem to be a cable option for that little ball on the choke.

Now you can drill a hole in the choke arm and bend a cable through the hole, but I just went with the solid rod. Works well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Lots of fun with the video. Nice to see your better half involved. Gotta say I don;t like her choice of foot wear in the engine install segment. She needs to covers those dogs up a bit better when stuff is hanging in ghe air....

13. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks for the ideas on the choke. I planned on only choking the rear carb, but was trying to figure out a way to use the 4 cylinder choke cable. Tonight, we mocked up a choke rod like a V8 car, with a jog in it to hook up to the choke on the rear carb.

14. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Tits! I like the Tudors much more than the coupes and roadsters. This one has it.

15. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Another update on the tudor....the exhaust and wiring were started today. Dan started tacking some pieces together from the header, and may get it fully mocked up tomorrow. My wiring supplies arrived this evening too. I started with the light switch, and so far got new leads soldered at the switch. Hopefully tomorrow, I can get the wires routed and possibly finish the wiring.

I also finished up the throttle rods today, and then modified the 4 cylinder choke cable to look like a V8 choke rod. It needed a jog bent in the rod outside the firewall to line up with the carbs. The banjo is now loaded with a 3.54 ring & pinion, so that'll probably go back under the car tomorrow too. We're still shooting to drive it sometime this weekend.....

[​IMG]

Here's the latest video on the car....skip to 3:00 for what's new since the last video update:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4aliFogJ02M" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

16. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

hey Cory. did the seal plate work out well for you? love the project.

-danny

17. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Danny, the torque tube is going on either tonight or tomorrow. We're just waiting to finish up the exhaust fab before sliding the rear end back under the car.

That's a really nice seal setup.

18. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

would you let me know if you have any thoughts on what i need to tweak on if you have any problems? that is my first one of that design.

-danny

19. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

KILLER CAR, KILLER ENGINE, KILLER VIDEO.

Now I have to go do something with this Hard on ! ! !

VR&C.

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Everything went together great Danny.....I didn't see anything that needs to be changed. You definitely have to make sure that the tabs on the lock washer were folded over for clearance to the tube. I actually filed the lock washer where it was slightly taller than the corners of the hex of the nut. I did a few mockups and spun the driveshaft to make sure it had enough clearance between the lock washer and seal plate.

I can't say enough about how nice that seal plate is.....nice piece!

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

and here's a shot of the car after getting it back down on the ground tonight. Just need to torque everything down, finish the wiring and fuel lines and it'll be a driver again.....

[​IMG]

22. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

good to know. glad it worked for you.

-danny

23. alchemy

alchemy

That tudor sits real nice. Is there any room between the rear axle and the frame? Are there rubber bumpers in there (what kind)?

What tires/sizes are those?

24. Bodger45

Bodger45

The motor in my dreams looks exactly like yours.

25. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

There's about 2 1/2" of clearance between the axle and the original rubber bumpers on the frame. It hasn't bottomed out yet....and Michigan roads are pretty rough.

The rear tires are 7.00-18 and the fronts are 4.50-18.

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

really enjoying this thread

27. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Here's a video of the car running from today. We've been driving it since yesterday, and it seems to be doing great. We don't have the cable hooked up on the Pines yet, so the louvers were rattling (the noise you hear when the video is at the front of the car).

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8xAaBLYHP-w" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

haha! well looky there!

congratulations!

she sounds sweet!

29. DAM!!!!
    That sedan is soooooCOOL with that banger in it. I would love to see this at bonneville this year.