Register now to get rid of these ads!

mental block/need inspiration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, May 17, 2012.

1. not a bad idea!!!

2. F&J

F&J

Get it to run, take it outside and beat the shit out of it. Works for me.

That's what they are for, rev it up, dump the clutch, smoke the tires...

or is it a streetrod, if yes, then go take up golf. :)

3. maybelene

maybelene

Good ideas on this one. I have to constantly change things up to stay motivated. Sometimes I change the type of music to change the mood, sometimes I go help somebody else with their project, sometimes just going to a car show for a weekend will do it. There are times to just walk away for a while and do something else. I may buy and paint an old boat or buy and paint a go cart anything I can complete within a week or two. Then I sell that, get some fresh money and start again on the project. Good luck.

4. NOT a street rod:D when on the road it is abused daily!
    what is this GOLF you speak of??

5. THANKS for the thoughts and inspiration. i've read every one and done my best to head the advice. i actually got a lot done today, had a buddy come by to help with the stuff that i couldn't get done by myself. made plans for the morning. maybe just getting it off my chest helped!

6. F&J

F&J

I was just thinking, after seeing the engine... I had a 56 B/A 2dr ht in 67 or 68 and I bought a wrecked 55 B/A 2dr ht that had a newly rebuilt 348 tripower with new carbs!...for $75. The guy was on leave from basic training before going to Viet Nam, and hit a tree, taking out the rt 3/4 nose and bent the front rail.

Anyways, I put that motor in my 56. Pretty cool stuff for a teenager in High School, I thought, even though it was very outdated by 67/68, and even referred to as farm truck motors..

I remember thinking it looked so badass sitting in there. :)

I was also just thinking...the old days WERE fucking cool. None of this poser shit like today. Fuck patina and primer, bare metal, bring me back...

7. Model T1

Model T1

I'd just love to have that engine and tri-power set up. Last time I had three dueces was on a 327 in a 1960 Austin Healey Sprite I built when the four banger kept going bad.
    Get your Chevy done and head for the Valpo Chevy show. You can push it that far!

8. Model T1

Model T1

Most of them were farm truck motors weren't they?
    I missed another deal awhile back because I waited. Guy had a rebuilt 409 rebuilt and running. Don't remember the price but wasn't bad. I needed an engine for the 55 wagon. I ended up finding a recently rebuilt HO 305 then bought some good 305 big valve heads for the wagon.
    Not the same as a 409 though! Could have went cruisin singin bout my fine 409!:D

9. aw hell it IS outdated as hell. a ____ (fill in the blank) motor is way better. but when i open the hood there is the OOOHHH factor.

10. technically they where car motors used in trucks!

11. Try baby steps.An hour a night will go along way.Bring out a tv,radio ,whatever it takes to keep you there.You sound like you are overwhelmed by it all.Finish some small jobs to get the feeling of accomplishment back.It works for me.Ill play my favorite movie comedies in the background.Keeps me laughing.

12. when i can't get motivated, i have friends come over that are. they, in turn, make me feel bad cause they're doing all the work, and i eventually pitch in...that gets the ball rolling for when they aren't here.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Set a task for the days you can work on it, and like Don's Hot Rod's said scratch it off the list when you complete it. Oh, stay off the computer until you complete a task. Now turn the computer off and get to work!:D

14. I have had a terrible case of the don't cares for three years. I have a buyer coming to get the project. I took a bath on this one. Lost my a.. Are whatever. I'll be glad to see it roll away. Then I'll put a new dropped beam axle under the coupe. May change the coupe clutter to something different. I have a Hudson cluster may use it. STupid thing is I've been looking at 54 chevys. FIirst love 32 5 window second 54 210. Just asking to fail again.

15. llewellyn

llewellyn

The wife made me get over my lack of interest. During a talk on where our life was headed,i said ( i am so over all this car and hotrod crap i think i will just sell it all i couldnt be bothered any more ) To wich she responded ( if you think i am going to put up with you grumping around the house all .day every day your wrong Just go and organize and get the gear you need. ) I got the smallest project finnished first now i am on to my hudson build. But makes it realy worth while is what the wife does to keep me in the shed. If i am in the shed early in the day, when she gets up she cooks breakfast and brings it out with a cupa and goes straight backto the house so i dont have to leave the shed . Same sort of thing for lunch, drinks during the after noon i am called when diner is ready. Hell she has even been knowen to help clean my mess up in the shed
    God bless her for her actions .:)
    GUYS try moping around the house and see if the wife will give you the shove to get you going.:rolleyes:
    I that fails free beer for the boys to come around and work on your car.;)
    If that does not work take up lawn bowles and see how boring that mite be.:confused:
    sorry to any one that plays:p
    llewellyn

16. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I know the feeling all to well...I keep a bottle of bourbon in the shop:D

Actually what normally gets me is this-
    Drive your un-cool, non-classic around and have someone pass you in a cool car.

went to my shop the other day, fu*ked around for like an hour, got nothing done, got frustrated because of money and such. was in a funk all day. I left and drove my jeep to the store in my good ol' ADD half brain dead stare...
    Then a really good lookin chick rolled up next to me at a stoplight in a 70' Cuda.
    I thought "Mann, my car would tear the thing up...Shit, I'd like to tear HER up:p
    She looked at me with a, "Im a hot chick in a sweet car and your not" kinda look and peeled out.
    lit my fire good, damned if i didn't turn around, go back, crank the radio, and finished my radiator brackets i've been putting off for a month.

17. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Dude, We as a human race would do NOTHING without bitchin babes:D

18. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Been there just make a punch list and get it done if it's not fun dont do it .I like building better than driving so I have my own sickness ! but you can restart take a break I dont golf, fish,or play baseball so back to workin on my old cars

19. fossiltin62

fossiltin62

I always have several projects going at the same time -- get tired of one go to another. Get tired of them all go BUY another. Eventually I get back to each of them. But I have to tell you I once had a project on jack stands for nearly 3 years. Finally got tired of walking around it and finished it in about 4 months. Wife was a big help there, she never stopped yakking about it because it was in her favorite garage space.