Register now to get rid of these ads!

What parts are so important to Flathead V8 Eng owners?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, May 17, 2012.

1. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I get so tired of guys telling me they use Flathead V8 engines because they can buy parts anywhere,while on the road. What parts, inside the engine,might you need while traveling? I can't think of anything,that would go wrong,that you need parts for TODAY. If the engine throws a rod,I am not going to rebuild it in a hotel parking lot. I don't think I would change a timing chain either. Most everyone uses aftermarket Ignition systems,and carburation,on their cars. I think it is a very poor excuse,for being a sheep,and following the crowd.

2. Funny as shit!

3. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

Duh...it's the water pumps! My local parts house has a separate room just for ford flathead water pumps...

4. I like to caring a whole spare engine....;)

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Little chrome aircleaners. They get kinda dull, the Chinese chrome just doesn't last from one show to the next. Need LOTS of little chrome aircleaners, and they gotta be FRESH.

6. You really want to start this shit again !

Lmao

7. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I want me one of them Flathead Timing Chains:)

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

And we all want one!!!! Boy, we're a bunch or sick fucks! Don't anyone tell women.

9. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

timing chain in a flat head?

10. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

beat me to it.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I had a flathead once...ehr...wait...I think that was called a flattop, haircut if I remember correctly...'course, I'm old and tend to forget things...

R-

12. Step right up folks,,,I got a room full of Flathead timing chains,ModleA fuel pumps and Volkswagen water pumps,,Place your order now before there all gone..

13. I've got a directory that lists all the motels that'll let you use their parking lot to rebuild your (and anyone elses) flatheads.... the ones with four post lifts and engine lifters have five stars.... :D:D

14. bobscogin

bobscogin

Neither would anybody else. Flathead ain't got one.:D

Bob

15. what i do is expect the unexpected.

16. Model T1

Model T1

Come on children, I just read this thread about SBC. Now where's the MOPAR thread? I'd like to rebuild a Dodge in the Motel 6 parking lot!

I also have 17 Model A timing pins if anyone needs one and a waterpump wrench for an early VW and Corvair. Ran outta Ford flathead timing chains! A lot of guys use them for Harley Panhead replacement chains.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe that's why I can't keep the 41 in time.

18. no timing chain! next thing your going to tell us is toronados don't have a driveshaft.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I won't even drive a car unless it has a slant six.

20. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Ever try to get valve cover gaskets for an 8BA at Auto Zone? All I ever get is some punk 18 y.o. telling me there's no listing!!:rolleyes::D

21. Model T1

Model T1

At AutoZone they are listed as interchangable with Corvair drive shafts. But you have to ask the old guy!

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To get back to what this guy wants to know. Try Tubman's Law. "If you plan for something, it won't happen; If you don't it will". I have carried a spare set of water pumps, an extra carb, and everthing I might think I'd need in the ignition system for the last 25 years. Never needed any of it, even during a trip from the Twin Cities to St. Charles, Ill about 20 years ago.

Make sure your car is in the best shape you can do, and you'll do all right. Just don't start out with a car that you kinow is marginal.

My folks did a western vacation in a new '52 Ford in 1953. It was a new car; what's the problem? we had a great time (saw Mt. Rushmore) and got home with zero problems. Just don't take any shortcuts with the car.

23. I would love to contribute to this important discussion, but I need to change the air in my tires.

24. racemad55

racemad55

My buddy broke the top off one of his pistons above the wrist pin on the way to Bonneville with his flathead(egge cast) no problem, nursed it to Speedway motors,tore it down in parking lot,new set of forged pistons,rings,bearings, gaskets,good to go ! Had an extra trans along just in case his puked though!

25. Westco48

Westco48

Flatheads ain't traditional!!

26. msalamanca

msalamanca

Gotta love the jokes.
    Nevermind that someone might be honestly asking a question, may not know everything about what they are doing so they ask.
    I thought this thread could have been some interesting faq for flathead newbies (like myself), by some of the more knowledgeable people on here, you know the same ones that blast people that think about doing a SBC or SBF in a old ford, because they have heard all the horror stories with flatheads, or got tired of sifting thru the bull crap responses people give like yourself.

Joking is one thing, but a whole page of the same crap?
    Awesome guys. Your a real upstanding bunch of people, and carrying a great legacy.

27. You thought the op was asking an honest question.
    I thought he was mocking cookie cutter 350/350 combos in a satirical manner.

28. Model T1

Model T1

I sort of thought the same thing. But what do I know, I was also changing the air in my tires.
    Are you supposed to remove the air from the right front and put it in the left rear and so on? Seems to work okay on most of my junk.

29. You are describing "rotating" the air in tires....I am actually changing the winter air to summer air.