Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all Vintage Quarter Midgets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedrome, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

I am looking for photos and ads for all things quarter midget. We are doing a presentation on the history of Quarter Midgets at an event later this year. I have lined up Doug Schiller to do the presentation at the event. He is the son of Carl Schiller who owned The Larc-Douglas Co. in Great Neck, Long Island, N.Y. where he manufactured Offyette Quarter & Half Midget's in the 1950s and 1960s.

Doug has a great knowledge of Quarter Midgets but I told him I would also try to round up more history from across the U.S.

If you own a Vintage Quarter Midget or drove one back in the day please send me photos I can use to display as part of a slideshow in the room where we will be displaying Quarter Midgets. I found images on the other QM threads but I want permission to use them from the owners.

We are also looking for more cars to display. If you have a restored QM or even a survivor please contact me about being a part of the event. It will be in September in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

I hope some of the experts like Casper, Dean Lowe, racinman & racer5c can contribute to the cause.

I’ll post an event flyer soon.

Thanks,
    Bart
    [email protected]

Here are a couple of the QM that will be at the event.

Race Craft
    [​IMG]

Luther Viper
    [​IMG]

2. I could bore you to tears with the history on mine, but Doug is a friend, and already knows the complete history on it. Tell him Dean says Hi!

[​IMG]

3. AllthenamesIpickaretaken

AllthenamesIpickaretaken

Cant tell you much about its history but I rescued this 1950s Orbit Quarter midget when it was minutes away from getting tossed in the dumpster at the local recycling center about 5 yrs ago.....

Attached Files:

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Texas has a great web sight for all kinds of Texas racers, has a nice forum going on quarter Midget's also, wealth of old info .....................

5. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Thanks to all of have responded. Any others with QM and photos they will share?

Bart

6. chubbie

chubbie

friend has a 1/4 midget, bought it on an auction. it came from Texas! it says Briget on the side. its all apart trying to restore it

7. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Bart, I will get you some photos up... I have about 19 1/4 midgets and a few micro's Several 3/4 midgets ... I will try and help all I can.
    racinman Rick

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I remember old Isky catalogs listing cams for some of the engines used in 1/4 midgets.

9. casper

casper

Just found this thread, sorry for the late reply. Wow, great idea... you guys in Texas are really fired up about this stuff. I will be more than happy to help with anything I can. Feel free to pm or email me with any requests. [email protected]
    Kenny.

10. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I've got a repro glass body but have had no luck on any demensions (wheel base, track width), even less luck finding frame for sale. Would like to build a car from what I've got BILL RINALDI

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Having Doug Schiller is a big asset and he has a great deal of knowledge about the history behind the quarter midgets.

Doug has been there and done it all over the years and seems to know more then anyone I have ever bumped into on the subject.

I believe he has been building them since the 50's

I recreated all the Offyette logo's for him last year for his quarter midgets and about 6 or 7 years ago I did some other artwork for him.

Real nice guy to deal with.

Please tell him Jim Hill said hello.

12. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

I have seen your work and it is great!

Doug is a good guy.

Maybe I could get some logos from you to show in the slideshow.

I'll contact you directly.

Bart

13. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Thanks for all the help so far.

Here is the flyer for the event so you will understand the event a bit more. More details to follow.

[​IMG]

Bart

14. mow too much

mow too much

I'll do my best to make it down there. I have this Walborg frame and have picked up a body and I'll try to get it all put together by then.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  15. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Looks like you have a good start. What body did you get? Hope you can make it.

Bart

16. Wish my health was better. I would bring this one.

[​IMG]

17. Rocket88

Rocket88

I,ve got a few pics for you, just send them to the email address in your post?

18. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Yes sir!

[email protected]

Bart

19. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Thanks Jeff, those are great!

Bart

20. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Boy I would be honored if you came to Dallas!

Bart

21. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Thanks to all those who have responded.

Still looking for more images and cars to display.

It will be a great event that you won't want to miss.

Bart

22. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Just got word that another Offyette quarter midget will be joining us. The number is growing!

Bart

23. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

24. Here's a shot you might find interesting. From April 15, 1956, the last race held at the Jelly Bean Bowl in Anaheim. The track was on the Viking Trailer property where Doug Caruthers also built the Viking Craft 1/4 midgets. The following Monday the track was plowed under, and work began on the parking lot for Disneyland. I'm leading in the 93 Kurtis, and Mike Earnst is following in the 98 car.

[​IMG]

25. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

26. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Still working on gathering info and photos of QM. Thanks to everyone who has sent stuff.

We have almost 20 cars committed for the event. It is going to be great to see that many together again.

A few guys are bringing the cars they drove as kids. They never got rid of them!

This is one of the nicest cars I have ever seen. I got to see it in April when I was in SoCAL.

Beauty!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bart

27. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

One more with the body.

[​IMG]

Bart

28. The Evans equipment on that engine looks great. My national championship engine has an Evans head and igniton, but it sure isn't that pretty. I planned to restore the engine when I retired 2 years ago. Back surgery got in the way, but it's on the bucket list.