Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grease fitting won't take grease - Why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris F100, May 17, 2012.

1. Chris F100

Chris F100

62 F100

The top fitting took grease just fine. The bottom one will not. I removed the fitting and looked to see if the bushing feed hole was lined up and it is. I pumped grease through the fitting by itself and it goes through. There is no binding in the spindle movement and the machinist who did the job is first rate. I changed the grease in the gun and it made no difference. I changed the fitting for another new one and put the hose on the fitting and try to pump the handle but it is rock solid. Any ideas before I tear it down?

Attached Files:

2. It looks like you've covered the basics, time to pull it apart and actually see whats going on.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To start, easy and quick things: Remove the wedge pin that holds kingpin, move kingpin up and down a little to see if there is drag that feels like lower bushing might be too tight (more than a smooth slip fit), if it seems all right verify grease opening by sticking a wire through zerk hole while pin is up and out of the way. Lightly grease bushing by putting in some grease and smearing it around by finger tip, slide pin back into place and try grease gun again.

4. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Did you put some light oil on the king pin before you slide it in? Maybe the oil is taking up the clearance and not allowing air to move out and grease to move in. I have seen that with a lot with dowel pins on machinery.

5. jack orchard

jack orchard

i assume you are moving the spindle lock to lock while have full pressure on the grease gun....jack

6. Chris F100

Chris F100

Just finished trying Bruce Lancster tip # 3 above - Thanks Bruce - it's obvious I'm getting some grease because when I knocked out the lock wedge it showed some of the second tube color. Zerk hole was aligned properly. I suspect its a borderline too tight fit and I'll most likely take it apart and remeasure everything.
    Thanks for the input.....