Register now to get rid of these ads!

mental block/need inspiration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, May 17, 2012.

1. i've got one hell of a mental block going on and i need some inspiration. i've three ongoing projects (2 hamb friendly) the ot car is a simple job being handled by my bodyman buddy. the other two are really cool cars with a lot going on but CAN'T even FORCE myself to work on them. one is supposed to drive to bowling green for the hotrod reunion.it's down to the clean shiny work but i just go out to the garage and stare at it then go back in and mope around.any suggestions that you guys have used to get over something like this? i looked in the phone book for an automotive therapist:D there weren't any:p
    thanks
    scotty t

2. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I know the feeling, wish I had some words of wisdom, but I was just singing the same song to a friend last night.

3. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Is it driveable? If so take it out somewhere - just drive - anywhere. Hopefully a few hours of sitting behind the wheel will bring back the feelings that are currently missing.

4. Drugs
    When I just can't muster the ambition to work on something that needs to be worked on I just get really screwed up then go back out there.

OK that was not entirely true. Let me ask you this are you a contortionist? it is a little far for me to go rght this minute but maybe you could give yourself a good swift kick for me.

All kidding aside sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say to yourself this is my job and I can't afford to be fired. Then do it just like you would if you didn't want to go to work that day.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If someone could bottle up hot rod building ambition that worked and sell it they could make a fortune off of us.

Lately the time and money being spent to keep my daily going and repair the wife's mini van that she needs to go to school (including a 100 dollar rear window that I broke with the lawn mower) I haven't had time money or energy to attack one of the hot rod projects. I could probably work all summer on the 48 without spending 200 bucks if I ever got going on it. Most of that would be for mig wire and gas for the welder.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if the deadline for an upcoming event does not do the trick, then make a promise to someone you would hate to let down that you will have one of your projects by a certain time to take them some place special soon. I really know how easy it is to find other priorities that keep me from my project.

7. nutajunka

nutajunka

Even if you could find an automotive therapist, after you got there bill I think you would jump back on your projects....:D

8. cederholm

cederholm

Get in there and start with something small that you can complete in one session. Finish it, step back with pride and start another small project. Pretty soon you'll be back in full swing!

9. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

I have the phrase " Don't think about it, Do it " written as a reminder in a few key places like my workbench and my desk. There is always something I can do, and sometimes it's just doing something that gets the ball rolling again.

10. jam0o0

jam0o0

this works for me. i usually get stuck on somethign i don't really know how i want to do. but it's an important thing so i can't see past it. i usually don't notice for a week. but then i just go pick somethign else unimportant. polishing wheels even. just so i can see progress and usually the important thing works it's self out in my head. but you have to pick a small thing that you can see and take pride in.

11. Must be something pissing you off about it.
    Could be a compromise you don't like
    Cheap parts when you want better ones
    Skill level issues
    A fuckup you decided to live with but cant
    Rework you are avoiding.

Find out what it is and address it, fixity, have a plan to do so in the future, or decide it isn't worth stalling over.

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Can't means won't in my book.

13. WOW! good advice guys. i tried kicking myself in the ass but my leg wouldn't bend the right way. i've got a lot going on in my life (not bad) and i'm sure that's a big part of it. sometimes it's just good the know you're not alone. I've actually got my hands on only one project at the moment the others are being handled by friends (who have mad skills!). i've been doing good coordinating parts and supplies acquisition, but the hands on is whats killing me. i'll quit whining and get to work now.

14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

it is not that you have no motivation it begins with not wanting to finish it. once it is done it is finished.

we all spend so much time working on the car we do not know what to do when we are done.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There have been times in my car building life when I would not go into the garage for 6 months because the fun had gone away. I would go fishing or whatever for a while and then when I felt like it I would go back to work on the car. This is supposed to be a hobby...........fun, and when it starts being more like work it is time to get away for a bit.

Lists also help. I keep a book with "Things to do" and I keep a page in there for various areas like "Frame", "Body", etc. As I wipe out a particular task I scratch it off of the list. Let's me see that I have made some progress, regardless of how small the job was.

Don

16. Larry T

Larry T

Happens pretty often. I've got projects sitting around that haven't been touched in years. But I've got a few that I finally got back on and I'm finishing them up right now. Hardest part is just picking up a wrench and doing something (ANYTHING) to them. So when you go out in the garage, instead of standing there looking, pick something simple to do to it and do it. You might be suprised and get interested in it again when you see a little progress.

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

is the hotrods the only thing you are avoiding or is the other things also.im no dr.but ive had bouts of depression that kept me away from some of the things i loved doing. just didnt have the ambition or energy to work on them.when i found out what was wrong i went to work on myself . them my cars!!

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's this damn forum ! Too easy to sit here with a coffee and shoot the breeze when I should be working on my car. :D:D

Don

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

don, that is about the closest to a answer there is.!!! i should have been out in the shop 3 hrs ago. but this damn hamb site is just to interesting to go outside and work. im putting a computer in the shop.lol

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Haha, so you're just going to be sitting closer to the stuff you're not working on??? :D

21. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Stick to one project. Between work, finishing the bathroom and painting the outside of the house, my wife is saying, "Is the '55 gonna be ready by Memorial Day?" I DON'T KNOW!
    It's easy to lost inspiration, but I force myself to do SOMEthing. Even if it's cleaning up around it.

22. it's amazing how many bits and and pieces of all the replies seem to fit! it did just find a spot to mount the coil AND I DRILLED THE HOLES AND BOLTED UP. then my twisted my arm patting myself on the back:p

23. shouldn't this be enough to get a guy fired up? i'm gonna go out side and cut the internet cable now!
    [​IMG]

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ha! now that you have mounted your coil look for this thread: Mounting a coil sideways?? Yes or not recommended

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It seems you have figured one of them out!

Go out and do something, even if its just something little. next thing you know its been 3 hours and you actually got a bunch of things done, then you feel accomplished and want more!

It's always just that first grab of a wrench that's so hard when your in a rut.

Other things that seem to work for me are the always helpful ride in a hotrod!

Like you even know anyone that wouldn't take any excuse to go cruise around for a minute. If that doesn't make you want your car on the road right this minute I think you just may be dead and have some how gotten to the HAMB from beyond the grave.

Also helpful is having one of your buds come help work on the car if even for the day, cook some brats and mess around with the project.

It's all in that first step.

26. I find that after finishing some task, you get caught with the admiration of the completion but forget you ARE NOT finished with the whole thing. I finally have my floors and trunk in, now slack-assing to finish the floor braces. easy work compared to the major stuff, but its like I hate tackling the pretty work detail stuff. then again, when I get burnt out I switch from one car to the other and get a fresh perspective on what needs done. don't stare at it and chock up all that needs done, you will get overwhelmed. let project A.D.D. take over and focus on something you can do quickly, but in correct order.

27. You just need to get laid:eek: Is that OT?:cool:

28. Model T1

Model T1

Okay butt hole I see lots of problems with you. First you live in Indiana and are trying to work on a damned red 55 Chevy. If I was from the midwest and owned a red 55 Chevy I would be makin excuses to sit on my ass and play on the computer too!
    You did take that first step. You put that stinkin coil on the firewall and that's a start. Now stick something else on that beat up ole Chevy and keep at it.:rolleyes:
    I fixed one of my problems. I retarded and moved out of central Illinois. But once I got older than dirt and discovered these damned car forums my work life in the garage went to hell. Limit yourself to a few hours playin on the computer and at least a few in the garage or you will end up like me.....old, lazy, and broke! It ain't a pretty sight!:)

29. you are correct on several points, but the coil is mounted to the battery box:D and it's more orange than red!!!:p

Last edited: May 17, 2012