Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jim Oddy's Austin is Alive and Angry !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, May 16, 2012.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Awesome, you did a great job, I remember it in its glory days. You just turned back time for me. Congrats!!!! Larry :eek::eek:

2. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Fantastic! Love to see old forgotten classics rescued. Much like the guys restoring and flying WW-II aircraft. Always liked the Austin and Anglia drag cars.

Mike

3. Great job John. Nothing sweeter than the sound of a blown hemi!

4. S.F.

S.F.

time to go racin'

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That is so awesome.

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

That is an awesome resurrection. Love the sound of a blown engine.

7. chevy3755

chevy3755

glad you could save it......thank you

8. This video was shot a week or so ago when Jim Oddy heard his famous NHRA record holding Blown/Injected Hemi 1948 Austin gasser fire up for the first time since 1968. That's Jim Oddy himself in the video, just like he was back in the day priming the engine. He came up from Mooresville, NC, where he now lives, just for this moment. You will notice that John did an incredible job recreating the original look of this original Gasser.

This is how the car was back in the day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is it today. Every part on it is exactly the way Oddy built it.

9. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Very, very cool. Another one saved.

10. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Freakin Kool!
    Great restoration!

11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

12. 00-DIRT

00-DIRT

Awesome Job John!! Hope to see it in person some day!!

13. moparron426

moparron426

GREAT JOB John!!!!! and it sounds AWESOME...
    I am proud to say I owned that car for a year way back in 1976 and I am so happy that John did such a fantastic job bringing it back to life again.

when i had it it still had the roll cage and interior in it and looked just like the way it was raced when oddy had it, but the car was painted black and I bought it less engine and trans, I had it as a street/strip car for that year but with no front brakes it was a hand full, I then sold it to a guy in Canada an the was lost for a long time till john found it.
    THANK YOU john for bringing back such a great part of western NY history:cool: Ron...

here are a few pictures from the day I got the car and when it was in a few local shows...

Attached Files:

14. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Hell yeah! Great Job Johnny, wish i could have been there for this. I think We need to have our own Cacklefest in WNY... HAHA!:D We have enough AA/GS cars here to do it! Absolutely love this car. Congrats!

15. Very nice,and what I like the most is that its actually running on G A S.

The AA/"GAS" cars of today are all on Alky which is okay I guess...just sayin.
    Even though it sounds a little 'tinny' on my speakers,it still reminds me of when KS Pittman used to spend the summers at his aunts house down the street from us in Bellflower Calif.
    If my dad wasnt push starting his Fueler down the street,KS was firing up his gassers in his aunts driveway.
    Thanks for sharing & bringing back a badass piece of history!
    Troy Cagle

16. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks all of you guys for all the nice words about the car. It has been a LONG time but it getting there because My Buddy's all made it come together. It get a lot of good reveiws on the HAMB. Thanks Phil for posting it for me !!

Thanks All of You

Trouble

17. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Great car!! Great restoration !! My friend Ron Podsiadly who has since relocted to California bought this car without engine or trans from a Jim Hopper in Mt.Morris NY in the 70's.Hopper had got it from Oddy..It was intact except it was painted black and had a bad pinion bearing . I helped him take off all the lettering and touch up the black paint and added some blue flames.Interior was still Oddys and in great shape.He put in a 440 with a tunnel ram /automatic and drove it on the street for a while and then sold it to some canadians.Too bad it was stripped down and lost so many parts but nice to see it so nicely redone.

18. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Hell yes !!!!! Love it!!!!!

19. watched him race it at Niagara many times.....nice job!!!!

20. One of the best looking gassers of all time!

21. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

X2... Johnny can be my neighbor anytime. I'd have no problem waking up to that tune in the morning. Gets my adrenaline going better than my sponge bob alarm and cup of coffee.

22. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

It's great to see it restored and to hear it running! Just like I remember it from Niagara Dragstrip and the Nationals at Indy. Oddy's and Zakia's cars were my favorites!!

23. ardyboy

ardyboy

Beautiful music John. I love it!!!!

24. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

John, your the man! Glad you found this Austin and did it 100% right as it deserved! Two thumbs up......:)
    Dave.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wanna hear something sad? I lived down the road from Oddy's race shop and had no idea about all the history that was there. I never even went in before moving down South.

However now I'm older and a little wiser, I know for a fact that this is awesome.

26. Frank K

Frank K

Good going...watched it win many times...Niagara, Cayuga....Frank Kunkel

27. violet springs

violet springs

That thing Is BAD ASS.

28. 3day

3day
    from UK

Absolutely beautiful

29. Here's some photos I took at the Canadian Street Rod Nationals (CANATS) years ago - don't know the exact year. At the time the car was plated in Quebec and I was told it was the Oddy Austin. There are some similarities - the chop, the rear nerf bars, the chute box in the trunk lid. Maybe??

Attached Files:

30. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

That is the car it was Black then Yellow it still had the vega tail lights in it when i got it. There will be a story on the car in Gasser Wars very soon

thanks for posting the pics I never seen them

Trouble