Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any pilot hambers here?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 1950Gasser, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

I try to fly something old and interesting each year. Last year I flew a Jet Provost and spent a couple of hours in this Hawker Sea Fury, which belongs to the Royal Navy Heritage Flight...

[​IMG]

It retains its original Bristol Centaurus sleeve valve radial, which cranks out about 2,500 hp. Most of the Bristols have been replaced by P&Ws nowadays. I believe that one of these aircraft still holds the unofficial speed record for a piston-engined aircraft at 547mph. "Standard" max speed is 460 - one of these actually shot down a MiG 15 in Korea.

Regards

Jon'.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Those Sea Fury's are beautiful............didn't know there were sleeve valve radials...bet that's an interesting bit of hardware!

Ray

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. Gretschplayer

Gretschplayer

Fly a 1964 Cessna 172, with the O-300 six.

4. [​IMG]

Here's a picture of me back in the 70's going for a ride with some guy named Bob. Even though I looked very cool, inside I was giggling like a little girl.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  5. aircraft still holds the unofficial speed record for a piston-engined aircraft at 547mph. "Standard" max speed is 460 - one of these actually shot down a MiG 15 in Korea.

Regards

Jon'.[/QUOTE]

Sweet!

6. Soloed our family '41 Piper J3 Cub before I had a permit to drive. Loved and flew it for 30 years before selling it a few years back. That helped put another vintage pickup project in the shop. Here's an old picture of me and the guy that gave me the flying bug... my dad. I miss him every day.

[​IMG]

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  7. 36tbird

36tbird

A buddy just e-mailed me this,

One of the questions from the career placement test given applicants for a
    Military Commission was important.

It went: "Rearrange the letters P N E S I to spell out an important part of the human
    body that is more useful when erect."

All those who spelled SPINE became Doctor's, the rest went to Flight School.

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

So true...I was one who went to medical school first though. But they sent me back to flight school when I tried taking the female anatomy by Braille:eek:

HellRaiser

9. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

I met this so called "bob" at sun-n-fun a few years back. For a normal guy he seemed pretty interesting!

10. Xman

Xman

Just found this thead, very interesting. Got my sel in 79, A&P - IA- DME. Owned a 59 182, a 59 180 and a 61 185. I now own a 1929 Travel Air 4000 with a wright J4. Came to me when my brother passed away. It now hanges from the ceiling of the aviation museum in Port Townsend Washington.
    Hot Rods and airplanes do go together!

11. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love those TravelAirs. We've restored several of them. Got one in the shop right now that's just about finished and two more waiting their turn.
    Here's the last one we finished a couple of years ago.
    [​IMG]

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Those Travel Airs, not so bad. Model 95s though, the twin TravelAir from '55 I think... those things are a pain. All the magnesium control surfaces and corrosion and ADs. Slick birds once you get all that taken care of though.

13. VanHook

VanHook

I fly a piper J-3 cub in my free time and work on them the rest of the time.

14. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Older thread but got my license last month. One of those bucket list items in life I always wanted to do.

15. DieselGreaser

DieselGreaser

Not a pilot, but a mechanic. Once in a while I get to steal a left seat ride in a 172
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

or a front seat ride in this Stearman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm planning to look into volunteering with the CAF next year because I know there are a not of younger guys like me getting into that stuff and I want to help preserve history.

16. 130driver

130driver
    from Canada

Live in Canada so got the Queen to pay for my qualifications. Pilot C-130's on Search and Rescue. Great gig. Never have been able to call it work or a job.

17. Ramblur

Ramblur

18. Colville

Colville

No pilot here, but I do put them in the air. Been doing Aircraft Structural Maintenance on them for the past 10 years in the Air Force. :) Heres a saying we aircraft maintainers use in the USAF. "Takes a college education to break them and a high school degree to fix them" My grand pa was a pilot though in WWII, he also owned a few of his own that I got to fly in.

19. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

That Bob guy is a god among men!

I just got my private 2 months ago, my multi add on a month ago, my instrument tomorrow and hopefully my commercial ticket within 30 days.

20. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Helicopters for me; next month it will be 40 years since I started flying. I'm lucky, I get to do for a living what I would do for a hobby .... if I could afford it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  21. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Another A & P here, 33+ years as a mechanic,inspector,quality,etc. Been on many a test flight after heavy maintenance,a sphincter check or two during those days:eek: Currently working for Uncle Sam as a civilian doing NDI in support of the warfighter. To all military,past and present, Thank You For Your Service!

22. storm king

storm king

Don't know how I've missed this thread.
    Been a pilot and A&P mechanic for over 30 years.
    Mostly I fly the company 182 & 206.

23. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

My wife and I both got our private pilot (single engine - land) license in 1997. Most of my time is in Cessna 150's, 172's, and the Piper Arrow 2. However, I've logged some time in the more "H.A.M.B. friendly" Stearman PT 17 and Piper Tri-Pacer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  24. Ramblur

Ramblur

25. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

I flew A-4s in the Navy in the early 1970s. Here I am at NAS Quonset Point, RI, with my dad, loading up on lobsters!

Got out during the first Arab oil embargo. No chance for an airline position at that time due to huge pilot layoffs.

Attached Files:

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heard over Tower Radio at Bagotville, Quebec, Canada.
    First voice:"Roger, I'm holding at 3,000 feet over Bagot Beacon."
    Second voice:"You can't be doing that. I'm holding over Bagot Beacon at 3,000 feet."
    Long pause.
    First voice: "You idiot. You're my copilot."

Doc.

27. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Wow! I can't imagine any better way to go up in a Mustang than with Hoover himself. Unreal.

28. KenoshaChris

KenoshaChris

You'll love the choppers. Been flying them for 46 years. Where are you located? Make sure you pick a quality school. God Bless - Chris

29. staypoor53ford

staypoor53ford
    from wisconsin

all you guys and your big flying machines ! just another a&p here

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm starting Global Express school on March 4th.:D:cool: